• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of a alexandrine parrot

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I know it tough , but the current cage i wouldn't even keep a budgie in.
If your burd gets stressed enough in the small cage they are prone to start plucking.
A work around is if you can have him out if the cage fir a good portion of the day.
Does the burd step up for you ? Take trest from you?

And you need to go ahead and make some stuff fir him to chomp on. Even it's some cardboard cut up in strips and woven through cage bars.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Here is safe and toxic plant list.
If you have natural areas you can collect from pesticides free.
Then sand off any moss or other crud. Then.....there are different methods to clean....I soak in dilute bleach water outside. Thrn a quick soak in plane water. Then let dry till no bleach smell...then sometime a quick bake in the oven...

California

Meeting neighbors
I know it tough , but the current cage i wouldn't even keep a budgie in.
If your burd gets stressed enough in the small cage they are prone to start plucking.
A work around is if you can have him out if the cage fir a good portion of the day.
Does the burd step up for you ? Take trest from you?

And you need to go ahead and make some stuff fir him to chomp on. Even it's some cardboard cut up in strips and woven through cage bars.
No he is not trained , for now he is a wild bird and just bites , I got a training glove and placed my hand in the middle of the cage with some spinach leafs , he ate them from a distance so I think that’s a good thing . I’m trying to set up a cage for him that’s bigger .

California

Meeting neighbors
:bliss: :greet13:Hello!
Im excited to see an Alexander on the forum!! I've never had thrm but thrm fascinating! Yiu must share a picture!

Share your set up and we will let you know.

Its stressful to go to a new home. And it csn take time fir thrm to feel safe.

Unlike other pets we hsve to earn their trust. Lots of sitting next to csge and talking to thrm sbd hang out. Hand little treats here and there through cage. If csge protective put in a small treat inky fish yiu csn drop in one treat at time from outside csge.

Yiu can also stuff sime veggies in the bars leaving thrm stuck in the bars. Like broccoli, Romaine lettuce leaf, bell pepper, carrots. Veggies are so good for them! Often they are tempted to at least nibbles or destroy thrm when stuffed in bars .

You might wait a couple of days to get him out if fearful. Was he Hand rasiaed? What's his back store?

When you are ready to let him out . Maybe take his cage to a bedroom and close the door. Curtains or blinds on windows so won't crash into tgrm . They do learn about windows but takes some time. No ceiling fan on. Good bright light most burds don't see well in dim light. Talk to him let him settle. Then open the door and let him come out. Put an apple slice on top of cage. Hope he will come out calm and explore around cage. I'd just sit next him. See if will take treats. If fkys around tge room in a panic hold still. Be quiet. When he lands tgen walk towards calmly and talking calmly. Like get fellow did you get spooked? Im coming over to rescue Yiu. Often even untamed ones are willing to be rescued . He might fky off again when you approached. Hopefully bsck to top of cage praise if he does abd sit bsck duen. But if Flys off some place else wait till he lands and try again. Usdually by 3 fjy off they are tired and ready to be rescued. You might get a bite..I ignore it, and take them bsck to top of csge ir put them back in. I use my hand or arm. Or have a short perch in your hand you can offer. It takes time and patience and lots if repeated sessions.

One the hardest things for me is to explain how to make friends with your bird. So hopefully others will give their advice.

But hsnd out treats and just saying hi a million times a day helps.
Second day out of the cage! He gets in and out, tried to sleep underneath a sewing machine but we didn’t leave him (he was really pissed lol)

Attachments

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5: on your new baby :strhng: