• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner needs diet help

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Hello all
I recently adopted a year old female Eclectus. I do have large bird experience but am new to Eclectus. I know they have specific diet requirements and was hoping the more experienced owners here could give me some clarification.

my girls previous owner fed her a diet of only safflower seeds and peanuts. I am in the process of converting her to chop in the morning and organic unfortefied and uncolored pellets in the evening with some protein like egg or fish. However I recently read somewhere that Eclectus should not be fed pellets? Someone else on fb told me 80% of the Eclectus diet should be fruit?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

Stacey with Sophia

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I believe ekkies are very sensitive to pellets but I’m not sure of the specific amounts or issues other than toe tapping. I’ll tag @Monaco and hope she has email alerts set up for notifications as she hasn’t posted in a while and I miss her updates in the Monaco thread terribly.
Hopefully she’ll be able to help but I’ll also try to think up who else has an ekkie

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi! Welcome to Ekkie owning. Pellets can be awful for eclectus and can cause toe tapping, wing flipping, and in some cases plucking and barbering. Ekkies have longer digestive systems than most parrots and cannot process man made vitamin A in the same way. Chicken in small amounts is fine but please no egg. Egg for eclectus leads to plaque in the arteries which can lead to stroke and death at an early age.

I feed about 60% fruit 30% vegetables, 5% high quality seed mix, 5% sprouts.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I haven't had an eclectus in a really long time so I'm not any help but she is gorgeous! I hope to own one again someday!

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Hi! Welcome to Ekkie owning. Pellets can be awful for eclectus and can cause toe tapping, wing flipping, and in some cases plucking and barbering. Ekkies have longer digestive systems than most parrots and cannot process man made vitamin A in the same way. Chicken in small amounts is fine but please no egg. Egg for eclectus leads to plaque in the arteries which can lead to stroke and death at an early age.

60% fruit! Wow, are here I was holding back on the fruit using it as treats almost. The high sugar content is not a concern? May I ask what kind of seed mix do you use?

Thank you!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
60% fruit! Wow, are here I was holding back on the fruit using it as treats almost. The high sugar content is not a concern? May I ask what kind of seed mix do you use?

Thank you!
No, it is with other parrots, but ekkies need the fruit. I actually just give them a bit of what I give my budgie which is Volkman.

Emma's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
Hello Sophia,
We had lots of issues with Emma's diet, converting her from a terrible seed mix and some sort of cooked food. She was not interested in anything I made for her. It was breaking my heart. Now she's eating more veggies and some fruit, however she will not eat a raw vegetable at all, she will not eat fresh fruit just frozen fruit. I am still trying to find a good quality seed mix for her. So if any one has any recommendations it would be appreciated. Sadly enough when she had her first blood work done, she was slightly anemic and my avian vet believed it was from her poor diet. She was 10 months old when we rescued her from that bird store. She was kept in a cube type set up made of plastic, no perches to stand on and was reliant on her food bowl for perching. She still cannot climb her cage, she has tons of perches to get around with. it's pretty heartbreaking that such a beautiful parrot was kept in those conditions.

But my vet did recommend carrots, sweet potato and butternut squash for sources of Vitamin A, Roudybush or Harrisons pellets, vegetables and fruit. Less fruit because of sugar. Some good quality seed mix as well. She has come so far in the 6 months she has been with us, she's a much healthier, happier and a more active ekkie now than when we first got her. She does not have any issues with digestion at all either. She will eat pasta cooked or raw but vegetable or whole wheat only. As far as proteins go, my vet also advised that eggs should be very limited. We give different types of beans as added protein as well. But Emma loves chicken. We let her a little on occasion.

I do hope this helps and you are able to convert her. From our experience she was very fussy (still is some times) and we continue learning with her.

Lori
:ekkief:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

Emma's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
I just briefly checked out the link above from Miss Annamarie. I am interested in trying this with her. There is so much conflicting information on the internet it's hard to figure out what is actually best for the Ekkie. Thank you Miss Annamarie.

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Hello Sophia,
We had lots of issues with Emma's diet, converting her from a terrible seed mix and some sort of cooked food. She was not interested in anything I made for her. It was breaking my heart. Now she's eating more veggies and some fruit, however she will not eat a raw vegetable at all, she will not eat fresh fruit just frozen fruit. I am still trying to find a good quality seed mix for her. So if any one has any recommendations it would be appreciated. Sadly enough when she had her first blood work done, she was slightly anemic and my avian vet believed it was from her poor diet. She was 10 months old when we rescued her from that bird store. She was kept in a cube type set up made of plastic, no perches to stand on and was reliant on her food bowl for perching. She still cannot climb her cage, she has tons of perches to get around with. it's pretty heartbreaking that such a beautiful parrot was kept in those conditions.

But my vet did recommend carrots, sweet potato and butternut squash for sources of Vitamin A, Roudybush or Harrisons pellets, vegetables and fruit. Less fruit because of sugar. Some good quality seed mix as well. She has come so far in the 6 months she has been with us, she's a much healthier, happier and a more active ekkie now than when we first got her. She does not have any issues with digestion at all either. She will eat pasta cooked or raw but vegetable or whole wheat only. As far as proteins go, my vet also advised that eggs should be very limited. We give different types of beans as added protein as well. But Emma loves chicken. We let her a little on occasion.

I do hope this helps and you are able to convert her. From our experience she was very fussy (still is some times) and we continue learning with her.

Lori
:ekkief:

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Thank you. You situation sounds very similar to mine. I hope my girl will warm up to me with patience and time. She is very scared of everything and and they were feeding her only safflower seeds and peanuts. I give her chop in the morning with a sprinkle of the safflower seeds and she frantically searches through it and picks out all the seeds. I don’t want her to starve obviously so I end up giving in and giving her more safflower seeds. Hopefully I will be able to phase those out eventually. Emma sounds lovely and she is so lucky to have you!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi folks. I've been absent lately, but wanted to welcome these new to ekkie folks. Diet is so very tricky. Monaco has challenged me in every way possible. She still prefers frozen texture and that's okay with me, it makes stocking up and storing a breeze.

My advice is to keep trying all the time. This applies to every change you have planned for your birds. I've taken to making a blend of fruits and veggies, walnuts and almonds, and a wide variety of beans and lentils in a bin in the freezer. I add things to it as it gets low, sometimes new things I find in the frozen section, sometimes favorite things, sometimes fresh seasonal stuff that will freeze well. Eventually we hit a day where she eats everything in her dish, but most days she still picks what she wants and leaves the rest for the goats and chickens. Lately she's been eating lettuce that I hang for the canary... A little bit of jealously is going to be good this time. Bird bread is always a hit, and I put as much vegetable matter as it can hold...moisture is the thing that will ruin a good bake, so leafy greens and tough things like carrots and sweet potato shreds work most of the time. I do give her egg sometimes, maybe once or twice a month. Primarily protein has been moved to the legumes. Luckily she really likes them, especially lima beans and regular navy or pintos. Cooked squash, sweet potato, regular potato, pasta that's made with vegetables or legumes and has a decent percentage of that to grains are also a hit. Remember that the ladies are fed primarily by males for the better part of the year in the wild, and that means mushy, predigested foraged materials in their native habitats. I have yet to find pro/prebiotics I trust to be alive, and occasionally give her a dab of greek yogurt or kefir... She loves it, but I have no idea if it is helpful in any way other than the enrichment/bonding that is apparent.

Seeds and pellets : I've settled on the celestial blend from Higgins and tops pellets. It goes into her jar of tops, and distributed to a main dish by her water and into foraging spots. Any other pellet runs a risk of those pesky "fortifications" they seem to have trouble digesting and assimilating. The issue then is vitamin d3, and there are ways around that I am comfortable providing. Flax, and a decent assortment of shelled, raw tree nuts in tiny pieces go into the mix and or the frozen bin. She gets hunks of fish once or twice a month. We go outside as often as we can for some sunshine and lollipops....just the song, no actual lollipops.

This same approach applies new toys, perches, activities, etc. Again and again and again. Her toy destruction seems to be cyclic. She does love activities of any kind, and joins in vocally. Enough exercise is hard sometimes. Putting the dry foods all over the place is the only way she's urged to move around regularly and check all of the hiding spots and foragers.

Good luck! Love these birds as hard and as long as you can! Until we humans sprout green feathers and orange beaks we will never be able care for them in captivity like they would be in their lofty caves.

Last edited:

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Hi folks. I've been absent lately, but wanted to welcome these new to ekkie folks. Diet is so very tricky. Monaco has challenged me in every way possible. She still prefers frozen texture and that's okay with me, it makes stocking up and storing a breeze.

My advice is to keep trying all the time. This applies to every change you have planned for your birds. I've taken to making a blend of fruits and veggies, walnuts and almonds, and a wide variety of beans and lentils in a bin in the freezer. I add things to it as it gets low, sometimes new things I find in the frozen section, sometimes favorite things, sometimes fresh seasonal stuff that will freeze well. Eventually we hit a day where she eats everything in her dish, but most days she still picks what she wants and leaves the rest for the goats and chickens. Lately she's been eating lettuce that I hang for the canary... A little bit of jealously is going to be good this time. Bird bread is always a hit, and I put as much vegetable matter as it can hold...moisture is the thing that will ruin a good bake, so leafy greens and tough things like carrots and sweet potato shreds work most of the time. I do give her egg sometimes, maybe once or twice a month. Primarily protein has been moved to the legumes. Luckily she really likes them, especially lima beans and regular navy or pintos. Cooked squash, sweet potato, regular potato, pasta that's made with vegetables or legumes and has a decent percentage of that to grains are also a hit. Remember that the ladies are fed primarily by males for the better part of the year in the wild, and that means mushy, predigested foraged materials in their native habitats. I have yet to find pro/prebiotics I trust to be alive, and occasionally give her a dab of greek yogurt or kefir... She loves it, but I have no idea if it is helpful in any way other than the enrichment/bonding that is apparent.

Seeds and pellets : I've settled on the celestial blend from Higgins and tops pellets. It goes into her jar of tops, and distributed to a main dish by her water and into foraging spots. Any other pellet runs a risk of those pesky "fortifications" they seem to have trouble digesting and assimilating. The issue then is vitamin d3, and there are ways around that I am comfortable providing. Flax, and a decent assortment of shelled, raw tree nuts in tiny pieces go into the mix and or the frozen bin. She gets hunks of fish once or twice a month. We go outside as often as we can for some sunshine and lollipops....just the song, no actual lollipops.

This same approach applies new toys, perches, activities, etc. Again and again and again. Her toy destruction seems to be cyclic. She does love activities of any kind, and joins in vocally. Enough exercise is hard sometimes. Putting the dry foods all over the place is the only way she's urged to move around regularly and check all of the hiding spots and foragers.

Good luck! Love these birds as hard and as long as you can! Until we humans sprout green feathers and orange beaks we will never be able care for them in captivity like they would be in their lofty caves.

Sophia

Moving in
Real Name
Stacey
Thank you for your reply! Monaco is one lucky bird but the sounds of it. You made a great point about the soft mushy food. Mine loves baked potato and baked sweet potato. She gets a little better every day as far as trying new foods but still demands a lot of seed, so we are still working on that.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

I had NO IDEA the Eclectus were that specialized! Congrats.

Emma's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
It was a big day on Sunday! Emma finally ate fresh fruit and veggies raw not cooked! This was huge for her texture was an issue for sure. She preferred everything soft and didn't want to crunch on anything.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Congrats on your ekkies step towards a happier, healthier future! :)