• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner b&g macaw

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol getting bite sucks but I guess it's part of the process of bringing home a new macaw when they are use to there previous owners from 6 months old to 2 1/2 years old
I was looking and looking and came across her on kijiji
They had her plus her brother same age but they recently had a new born and they were keeping the child awake at times vise versa so they decided to look for a new home for daisy and kept the Male
When I went there a few times before purchasing her he could flip her on her back and she would lay down lol
I myself haven't tried that yet obv but everyday shes coming along just nicely
When I first brought her home she would scream quite a few times during the day
If u ever heard them screaming it's not a pleasant sound lol
Didnt really much so bother me but bothered my gf lol
She has calmed down alot and instead of the screaming she talks alot or whistles which is awesome :)
She sleeps like a baby too don't even hear a peep out of her at night what so ever!
Get a small ball (one she can grip oin her feet) & play with her on the floor on a throw rug. Assume damage to the rug as time goes on, so buy a cheap woven one. YOU can roll the ball to her. If she tosses it back, roll it back to her. Yes they can play fetch. I found my B&G loves to roll up in the rug & also lay on her back playing with the ball.

I too flipped mine on her back at the previous owners house. Owner was in total shock, as they couldn't even handle her.

When offering food make yum sounds, say "is it good" as she tries/eats it, etc. In time you will be shocked at how well she uses words to relate to things & you.

As for the screaming. It's often in the morning & late day/early evening for a few minutes. It's how they welcome the day & say good night to the day. They don't usually scream a lot. A scared sound is a loud ACK! Seeing somethig out the window may cause them to scream. If mine sees a ladder, which she hates, she screams. It's more like an alarm call. My B&G also loves to play what I call the "Scream Game" She'll make a sound & then expects me to repeat it. I make a sound & she repeats. This goes on for maybe 10 sounds & then she stops.

If you think this these types of screaming is loud what until she becomes breeding age. Their breeding call is sort of like a crow cawing sound, but raspy & very loud. It starts out low & gets louder. Ignoring her, even looking at her, when she does this will lessen the time she does it. It usually only lasts a few minutes.

You've made great progress with her.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perfect. You can swing her back & forth too. Make sure she's hanging on first.

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Get a small ball (one she can grip oin her feet) & play with her on the floor on a throw rug. Assume damage to the rug as time goes on, so buy a cheap woven one. YOU can roll the ball to her. If she tosses it back, roll it back to her. Yes they can play fetch. I found my B&G loves to roll up in the rug & also lay on her back playing with the ball.

I too flipped mine on her back at the previous owners house. Owner was in total shock, as they couldn't even handle her.

When offering food make yum sounds, say "is it good" as she tries/eats it, etc. In time you will be shocked at how well she uses words to relate to things & you.

As for the screaming. It's often in the morning & late day/early evening for a few minutes. It's how they welcome the day & say good night to the day. They don't usually scream a lot. A scared sound is a loud ACK! Seeing somethig out the window may cause them to scream. If mine sees a ladder, which she hates, she screams. It's more like an alarm call. My B&G also loves to play what I call the "Scream Game" She'll make a sound & then expects me to repeat it. I make a sound & she repeats. This goes on for maybe 10 sounds & then she stops.

If you think this these types of screaming is loud what until she becomes breeding age. Their breeding call is sort of like a crow cawing sound, but raspy & very loud. It starts out low & gets louder. Ignoring her, even looking at her, when she does this will lessen the time she does it. It usually only lasts a few minutes.

You've made great progress with her.
Thanks I think that's the scream call i am talking about being loud that hormonal call its loud as heck lol
I live in ontario, canada so right now it sucks cause I cant bring her outside as it's to cold out right now

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I did bring her to a variety store yesterday as a variety store is right next door to me so I walked her over there and she was so curious lol
A person walked in and she seen her and she greeted her right away by saying "hello" lol

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I did bring her to a variety store yesterday as a variety store is right next door to me so I walked her over there and she was so curious lol
A person walked in and she seen her and she greeted her right away by saying "hello" lol
It was also close to 60 here tho yesterday alittle colder today

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Be extra careful. They can still fly with clipped wings, just not as safely as they should be able to. Many have lost clipped birds :(

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
indeed.. clipped wings are no guarantee :(
a strong gust of wind gets them very far!

Still, its nice that you an take her places! In a while, get her used to a harnas, then you can take her everyhere, and she can till fly (which is much better IMHO)

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I dunno about trying to get a harness on her right now tho haha

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If being clipped is new to her this May increase the amount of time it takes for her to trust you- she will need to find her confidence again with all the abilities she has lost as well as all the changes she is forced to encounter by being re homed. Flight gives them confidence and being clipped is kinda confusing for them as to why the things they’re used to doing can’t be done anymore.

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I dunno about trying to get a harness on her right now tho haha
But I spoke with the previous owner before and she flew before
They clipped her wings here and there before but she does know how to fly

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:( will you be letting her wings grow back in or keeping her clipped?

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I'm going to let them grow back but in the meantime build alot of trust while she has her wings clippes