• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner b&g macaw

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Hi
Daisy is a 2 1/2 year old b&g macaw
Female
I have had her almost 4 weeks now and having a hard issue of her stepping up without lunging at me
The previous owner had her from 6 months to 2 1/2 years old and never had issues with her stepping up as I seen it myself going over there a few times seeing her before purchasing her
I am laid off right now so I have lots of time to.spend with her and she gets out of the cage lots but when she does so she goes right to the top of her cage so that's when I try to get her to step up and sometimes she will offer one foot to step up then she will try lunge or come down for a bite
In the 4 weeks I have had her I have probably got her to step up.maybe 5 times
The funny thing is she will take food out of my hand nicely.or sometimes when laying down on the floor she will come down off her cage and come down to see me on the floor but then straight back up.to.the top of her cage
Any help would be appreciated
I also made a t perch too for her
I guess my question is to try to get her on the t perch on a lower level and stop her from getting up.to.the top.of the cage as I think she is showing more dominance that way

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Are you using something besides your arm to get her to step up-I discovered my macaw was deadly afraid of perch/sticks, to this day if she won't step nicely or she is too high up I have to use a grapevine wreath, she will step right up then go on my arm. If you are offering a arm show her a favorite treat as you are asking her to step up This only works if she doesn't get that treat in her normal feedings. Remember most birds will put their beak on whatever it is they are going step on-their beak is like another foot-they do this for balance. Take all the food dishes out at night and try working w/ her in the morning when she is the hungriest. I promise she won't starve . Most people tend to overfeed anyway.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My B&G was 2 when I got her & had been abused by her previous owners. She had not been taught to step up & she lunged a lot too. Use treats to get her to step up. I'm not saying starve her. Before you feed let her out, hold a treat & only give it if she steps up. Try several times before doing the regular feeding. Once she steps up take her for a walk around your house. Showing her everything, touching it, explaining what it is. Keep in mind their cage is their safe place. The T-stand should be far enough away from her cage that she can't reach it when doing step up training, etc. Place her on the T-stand, have her step up, give a treat, step up several times. Keep training to 10-15 minute sessions. Then place her back on her cage. Try to get her to step up. Keep trying, eventually she'll get it.

Lunging is a threat response, to you, that you are invading their space & to back off. Once she learns that you are not a threat stepping up becomes much easier. 2nd hand birds always have baggage & some never let go of it. Working with her daily should help her to get over the baggage. If the previous owner was female she may have imprinted, so just go slow & give her time to adjust to a male owner.

B&G's love silly, so act silly while on your walk, etc. Sing, dance, share food, etc.

It took 6 weeks for my B&G to learn to trust me working with her daily. Due to previous owner abuse, in my B&G's mind being touched meant being shoved into a tiny cage & kept in the dark 24/7. Once she learned she would not be kept in a tiny cage in the dark she relaxed. Today she is super silly, loves to be in the middle of everything I do.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you tried rewarding her every time she steps up? You can also try target training. I don’t think it’s necessarily dominance, I think she just feels more comfortable on top of her cage in her new home. Do you have a play stand she can go on where you can reward her with yummy food?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you put your arm in the cage and ask her to step up?
Many birds once on top of the cage, like to play catch me if you can.
My GW Macaw seldom steps down off the top for me unless he really wants something I have.
He'll step nicely on my arm though if I catch him in the cage.

She's still new, and could just be uncertain about you.
But, the lunging will continue unless you can find a way around it.
Birds are experts at manipulating us. And what's a pain for us, is fun and games for them.

Once she's on top, just give up.
Try again later, or try and coax her to the floor.
I'll lay down and act like I'm having such a good time, my GW has to come down to see.

You don't want a battle, you want to out-think and out-smart her. ;)

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Update today
She followed a peanut down to the floor and got her to step up from there
Then I had her on my arm for about 30min or so trying to get her use to me
I put her on a table and jesus what a difference that made
She stepped up about 10 times and also let me scratch her head as well all in all in about 2 hours having her chill with me on a table away from her cage

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Even the biting changed
It's hard to describe but when shes up top.on her cage she would lunge and possibly bite so I backed off and gave her space and would try again
Now when she was on the table sometimes she would be hesitant but it wasn't like a lunge she would come down slowly with her beak and touch my hand and even if she did get alittle scared the bite I shouldnt say bite but little pek was gentle
And when I was scratching her head she would be alittle curious at times and make a squeaking now for a second then she would trust me to pet her :)

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I'm hoping this continues now
I put her back in her cage and was going to try to see if she will step up from a perch in her cage instead of her going straight to the top of her cage whens shes out

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I noticed in the video every time you pet her she moved away. Maybe leave that for a bit? Everything else says she's interested in you so she will eventually come to you wanting that contact, still a little mistrust.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with Linden, go slow and don't push the petting too much.
As she gets to know and trust you, she'll bow her head asking for pets.
Right now she's tolerating, but not enjoying it.
Baby steps.
And she's a sweet looking bird.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I bet things are going to go well for you two. Very sweet bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Matt. She has every appearance of being a gentle soul and will make a wonderful companion.

I just want to let you know early in this adventure that you should never feed her peanuts. Peanuts are very fat (saturated fat heavy) and there is the potential of her getting Aspergillosis and there can be Aflotoxins on them. Both can be deadly - take it from someone who fought asper for four years and almost lost her birds three times during the fight.

"The single most memorable piece of advice I was given that I will pass along to you is to never, ever give a parrot a peanut. Every single source of information I have found on this subject is in total agreement. Virginia Caputo, author of Aspergillosis & Jardine’s Parrots says: “Peanuts grow in the ground and are considered to be a common source of aspergillus which can sicken birds."
Peanuts are also often contaminated with aflatoxin, a fungal toxin. Aflatoxin is carcinogenic and causes liver damage in birds and other animals. Roasting reduces aflatoxin but does not eliminate it entirely. North American peanut producers are currently working on eliminating contaminated peanuts from their products. Caution is advised when feeding peanuts. Some bird owners, opting to be on the safe side, are eliminating peanuts from their pets' diet."
In shell, unsalted pistachios are a very healthy and safe alternative to peanuts.

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Ok thanks and good to know I'll be eliminating peanuts from now on
What about walnuts in a shell?
Also tried to let her out and she went straight up to the top on the outside of her cage haha same theory as before she didnt want to step up and lunged and bite a few times nothing hard but a warning I guess
Any suggestions on this to stop her from going to the top would be appreciated
I tried getting a chair to get higher then her but same go
Even when I tried to pet her like I did on the table she didnt like that to.much and squaked when my hand got closer to her head