• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner and new birdie!

Alsflock

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Allison Duck
Hi,

I have just brought home a hand raised cockatiel. We have not had her 24 hours as yet. She is fairly frightened and flighty. I am not going to attempt to handle her until she is settled and relaxed, eating, drinking etc. My query is if this takes say 2 weeks will my bird still be tame or will I be starting all over again.
What tips does everyone have for me to ensure she feels safe and secure?

anurim

Strolling the yard
Put her cage somewhere where she can hear your voice, speak to her daily, and try not to put your hands in the cage yet (unless you’re changing the water and food). I don’t think she’ll “forget” that she’s hand raised after 2 weeks, but after a few days you can start giving her millet from your hand to make her understand you’re not a threat. Maybe some other cockatiel owners can give you more advice :) Apart from the regular advice you can find in any videos online, I don’t know what else to tell you. The most important thing I tell everyone who has a new bird is “be patient”. :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Allison! 1.welcome signs.gif

Alsflock

Real Name
Allison Duck
Put her cage somewhere where she can hear your voice, speak to her daily, and try not to put your hands in the cage yet (unless you’re changing the water and food). I don’t think she’ll “forget” that she’s hand raised after 2 weeks, but after a few days you can start giving her millet from your hand to make her understand you’re not a threat. Maybe some other cockatiel owners can give you more advice :) Apart from the regular advice you can find in any videos online, I don’t know what else to tell you. The most important thing I tell everyone who has a new bird is “be patient”. :D
Thank you for your reply!!! Much appreciated and will do!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Spend time with her sitting with her, talking to her, even reading to her. I think being left alone is scary to a young bird. If she's really scared, you can cover the cage on 3 sides, leaving the front open so she doesn't have to be on alert for danger on all sides until she's a little more comfortable.

Alsflock

Real Name
Allison Duck
Welcome. Spend time with her sitting with her, talking to her, even reading to her. I think being left alone is scary to a young bird. If she's really scared, you can cover the cage on 3 sides, leaving the front open so she doesn't have to be on alert for danger on all sides until she's a little more comfortable.
Ok will do thank you!

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard

I agree with all of the above. Although I would suggest putting them in a room where they can see activity from afar but not be directly in the activity. That way she can get use to the you and the others in the household.

Also, remember that females are generally (not always) more reserved than males so it might take her longer to come around.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Again, everybody knows I'm being repetitive, but I suggest elleandthebirds Bla bla bla. :laughing2: Good luck! Name?

anurim

Strolling the yard
Again, everybody knows I'm being repetitive, but I suggest elleandthebirds Bla bla bla. :laughing2: Good luck! Name?
Flock-talk is also a really good youtuber! I don’t know if she has a topic specifically on taiming, but she has such great videos on all kind of things. I’ve been watching her way before I got my tiel, and she s awesome:bounce3: