• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Oven Element

TNGirl86

Moving in
Hello, I am new to Avian Avenue and I have a question that I am not having any luck finding the answer to anywhere. I need to replace just the element in my oven. I am wondering if should treat it like a new oven or if running it for a day outside would be ok. Thanks in advance!! I want to protect my little one with everything I possibly can.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hello, I am new to Avian Avenue and I have a question that I am not having any luck finding the answer to anywhere. I need to replace just the element in my oven. I am wondering if should treat it like a new oven or if running it for a day outside would be ok. Thanks in advance!! I want to protect my little one with everything I possibly can.
I know with new ovens the element has a protective coating from manufacturing that needs to burn off
I'd guess the replacement elements also receive the same coating during manufacture

TNGirl86

Moving in
I know with new ovens the element has a protective coating from manufacturing that needs to burn off
I'd guess the replacement elements also receive the same coating during manufacture
I have read they come with an oil coating that will cause it to smoke. But in new ovens I thought it was the insulation binders and other coatings that were the danger.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have read they come with an oil coating that will cause it to smoke. But in new ovens I thought it was the insulation binders and other coatings that were the danger.
that's right it is oil-based on the element, but any smoke is not healthy for a bird. I made no recommendation for your action based on that.
But you did say
I want to protect my little one with everything I possibly can.
so do as you like.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have had the oven element replaced a few times over the years.
You’ll definitely want to keep your bird away from it and ventilate well for the first few uses at least, they do smell pretty horrid for a few hours.

Reactions: tka

TNGirl86

Moving in
that's right it is oil-based on the element, but any smoke is not healthy for a bird. I made no recommendation for your action based on that.
But you did say

so do as you like.
What action are you referring to? And what do you mean you made no recommendation based on that? I was simply making a statement inquiring as to if the oil was the only thing on the element and not any other coating. And "so do as you like" seems uncalled for as I will do anything to keep her safe and healthy. I know smoke is not healthy for her and the recommendation for running new ovens is 2 to 3 days, from what I have read, so I am simply inquiring as to the time needed to break in a new element prior to using it in my home.

TNGirl86

Moving in
I have had the oven element replaced a few times over the years.
You’ll definitely want to keep your bird away from it and ventilate well for the first few uses at least, they do smell pretty horrid for a few hours.
Thank you, in your opinion, if I sat the oven outside and let it run for 24 hours at 450 Fahrenheit, would it then be ok to bring in the house for use, if I opened my kitchen door while it was hot? Or what did yoy do when you changed your elements?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve experienced different burn off times each time we’ve had the element replaced.
I turn on all exhaust fans and open the house up completely on a windy day then put the oven on the highest setting (250C).
The latest element we had replaced was no longer smoky or smelly after just a few hours but in the past with other brands of element we’ve had to repeat the process over a few days before the smell went. I think the smoke/smell time must depend on the manufacturers finishing process.

TNGirl86

Moving in
I’ve experienced different burn off times each time we’ve had the element replaced.
I turn on all exhaust fans and open the house up completely on a windy day then put the oven on the highest setting (250C).
The latest element we had replaced was no longer smoky or smelly after just a few hours but in the past with other brands of element we’ve had to repeat the process over a few days before the smell went. I think the smoke/smell time must depend on the manufacturers finishing process.
I don't really have an exhaust fan, it more just sucks up any vapor or smoke and blows the smoke/steam out of a fan on the microwave, lol, so in your opinion, would my idea of putting it outside for a day or so, constantly running should suffice as long as there is no more smoke? I am a nervous wreck over this and would rather do too much than too little.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As it's just the element being replaced you can just run it outside for a few hours with the oven door open. If you have the oven door closed it'll run in cycles and take a lot longer.

TNGirl86

Moving in
As it's just the element being replaced you can just run it outside for a few hours with the oven door open. If you have the oven door closed it'll run in cycles and take a lot longer.
Thank you, I was wondering if I needed to leave the door open to let all the smoke/fumes out, but won't it take a while to get to temp or should I let it get to temperature then open the door?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
It won't reach inside oven temp with door open, causing the element to run full throttle constantly. This will burn it off faster. With the door closed, the element would turn off when temp reached, slowing down the process.

TNGirl86

Moving in
It won't reach inside oven temp with door open, causing the element to run full throttle constantly. This will burn it off faster. With the door closed, the element would turn off when temp reached, slowing down the process.
Oh got cha, that makes sense. Thank you!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I don't really have an exhaust fan, it more just sucks up any vapor or smoke and blows the smoke/steam out of a fan on the microwave
Are you able to retrofit a range hood that's vented to the outside?

Failing that, are your bathroom fans vented to the outside? It's better if the exhaust is directly over the source of the pollutants, but the bathroom fan plus cracking a window near the kitchen will be better than the current recirculating setup.

For clarity, this applies to every use of the range, not just the new element.

TNGirl86

Moving in
Are you able to retrofit a range hood that's vented to the outside?

Failing that, are your bathroom fans vented to the outside? It's better if the exhaust is directly over the source of the pollutants, but the bathroom fan plus cracking a window near the kitchen will be better than the current recirculating setup.

For clarity, this applies to every use of the range, not just the new element.
Not really as my bathroom fans exhaust goes into one of the crawl spaces upstairs and my microwave is above the stove then cabinets. I do have a door and 2 windows in the kitchen though with a ceiling fan.

TNGirl86

Moving in

TNGirl86

Moving in
So do you think running it outside with oven door open for 24 hours at max temp will be ok

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So do you think running it outside with oven door open for 24 hours at max temp will be ok
A couple of hours with the door open at any setting will do it.