• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW NANDAY CONURE!

Lilnewbie8

Moving in
Real Name
Jules
:hello:OKAY SO! My cousin works at a bird sanctuary and recently they were given an adult female nanday conure that was raised in the wild (we live in Florida so she’s not native). Well, long story short they can’t keep her since they’re at full capacity, so I am going to adopt her. They’re giving me a cage but I’m not sure what else to get for it. Please recommend toys, food brands to buy and how much to give her per day, and other things I should know. I heard their diet should be 2/3 fruits/veggies and 1/3 nutrient Pellets.. is that true??? :bored: I met her a few days days ago and we’ll be taking her in soon so I have to make sure I have everything good and prepared!

P.s. I’m very new to this website so I’m not quite sure of all the functions. Please give any recommendations!!!

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Welcome to the avenue! I recommend Harissons bird food for pellets.

For toys there are a lot of sponsors on this site that sell a lot of different bird toys you might want to check it out. I was able to find a lot of great shredder toys in pet stores and amazon.

I hope all goes well with you and your new bird. :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Harrison’s is a good pellet brand. Toys I would get from there bird safe websites. No toys with mirrors, threads from rope, and huts/boxes of any kind. Paper is a good option mainly foraging toys are the best. Also welcome to the avenue!!

Lilnewbie8

Moving in
Real Name
Jules
Harrison’s is a good pellet brand. Toys I would get from there bird safe websites. No toys with mirrors, threads from rope, and huts/boxes of any kind. Paper is a good option mainly foraging toys are the best. Also welcome to the avenue!!
Thank you so much! The worker who has been looking after her at the sanctuary did say she loves making paper octopuses :swoon:

Lilnewbie8

Moving in
Real Name
Jules
Welcome to the avenue! I recommend Harissons bird food for pellets.

For toys there are a lot of sponsors on this site that sell a lot of different bird toys you might want to check it out. I was able to find a lot of great shredder toys in pet stores and amazon.

I hope all goes well with you and your new bird. :)
Thank you for the reply!!! I’ve gotten two suggestions for Harissons so I’ll definitely look into it!! :loveshower: I was so stressed and unsure with what to do for the lil birb but this website is so fricking cool and definitely will help!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Your welcome. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, we're all here to help :)

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
:welcome2:
I don't know much on aratinga conures but my gcc loves to climb. So just a suggestion for you to look into climbing toys such as ladders and rope perches and so on for her:)
Also :needpics:

Last edited:

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
My suggestions follow the ones you've already gotten. Buy many toys with lots of variety, but introduce them gently. Take things at her pace and don't push her. Read, watch, and listen to as much information (from good sources) as you can, because there is so so much to learn. Good luck and welcome!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :greet14:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Thanks for helping her. :)

BirdWorld

:welave:
Congrats on getting her!
Yes, they need 2/3 vegetables. I try not to give that much fruit because it has a high sugar content which isn't that good for them. The pellets I use are Lafebers Premium Daily Diet. Like @AussieBird said, the vendors here have great toys, and you can also make your own, out of cardboard, paper, and bird-safe string. What size is the cage you've gotten? Also, if you've got any other questions just ask, we will be happy to help :D

Lilnewbie8

Moving in
Real Name
Jules
What size is the cage?
A bit less than what he said he’d recommend. It’s enough for her tail to not touch the side when she perches, but not as high as she’d prefer. It’s a starter cage until we get one. Any recommendations for sizes or brands to buy?? I def need advice!

Lilnewbie8

Moving in
Real Name
Jules
:welave:
Congrats on getting her!
Yes, they need 2/3 vegetables. I try not to give that much fruit because it has a high sugar content which isn't that good for them. The pellets I use are Lafebers Premium Daily Diet. Like @AussieBird said, the vendors here have great toys, and you can also make your own, out of cardboard, paper, and bird-safe string. What size is the cage you've gotten? Also, if you've got any other questions just ask, we will be happy to help :D
Thank you for replying! I heard she really likes broccoli so I will definitely feed her that (cut up in pieces)! The cage is bit less than what he said he’d recommend. It’s enough for her tail to not touch the side when she perches, but not as high as she’d prefer. It’s a starter cage until we get one. Any recommendations for sizes or brands to buy?? I def need advice!