• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New mommy to 'special' Cinnamon GCC

Apollo's Mommy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mariah
Hi all,

Long story short, my baby Apollo (approximately 5 months old) fell from his cage and broke his back (I work where he was going to be sold). I spent days and days with him for three months in the back of our store rehabilitating him to where he can use his beak to help him walk. Ended up rescuing him from my arrogant boss.

I need help, however. He wants to perch and we try so hard, but he ends up losing grip in the middle of perching and immediately goes to grab me with his beak and loses all sort of knowledge. I don't know if he's being serious or just playing with me. And if he is serious, how can I help reteach him to perch?

I religiously do water aerobics with his legs, I make sure his tail is straightened out (always has it tucked to the side and out). We stretch his legs...

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Apollo! :)

I don't really have any advice for you..just wanted to welcome you both here to the Avenue...and by the way, Apollo is a real cutie...;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Are you using platforms with him? Platforms and flattish perches would be the best and if there is anything you can put near those to help support him. Thank you for rescuing him and giving him a caring home.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! He's precious! I don't have any advice off the top of my head, but if something pops up, I'll mention it. I have a 'special' birdie as well, so I'm still learning.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw he is a sweetheart! Thank you so much for rescueing him and welcome! In addition to what is already has been Said I suggest letting his wings grow for better balance:) You can also incorparate bridges into his areas if you think he would be able to use that well:)
Like this design:
0D5BC196-0324-4E55-8E83-90D37A354A58.jpeg
I use this type for my slightly disabled bird in his travel cage:
B8B52926-CEF8-4F0E-B281-180ABF89B827.jpeg
Baskets might work for him as well:)

Apollo's Mommy

Real Name
Mariah
Thank you so much! I don't plan on clipping his wings. The vet had redone them when he went for his visits because they thought it'd help him heal faster. I agree wholeheartedly, that I am going to let his wings grow

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I also have no wisdom but wanted to chime in on how cute little Apollo is! Thank you for being a loving parront. I can't believe you do water aerobics with him--that is so precious! :heart:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much! I don't plan on clipping his wings. The vet had redone them when he went for his visits because they thought it'd help him heal faster. I agree wholeheartedly, that I am going to let his wings grow
Could you share how you do water aerobics? My birdie has only one leg that is locked at a 90 degree angle, and he doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe it would be something I could get him interested in.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Thank you so much for giving this special little guy a loving home <3

I had a special needs CAG (though nowhere near that severe). I also vouch for letting the wings grow out, especially if he has proper use of them. My Grey couldn't really walk, but she could fly where she wanted to go. Her landings left a bit to be desired, of course, but she managed.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awww...welcome and thank you! This may be a post to review...although you likely want to search special needs in the board too.Fractured Spine | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I love cheekies, especially the special ones. :hug8:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
:welave: He is very lucky to have you :xflove:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Thank you for adopting a special needs bird. They need loving just like non special needs. You are a fantastic person.

Apollo's Mommy

Real Name
Mariah
Could you share how you do water aerobics? My birdie has only one leg that is locked at a 90 degree angle, and he doesn't get enough exercise. Maybe it would be something I could get him interested in.
Hi Brittany,
I like to fill up my sink with at least 5 inches of water and I let him hook my hand or fingers with his beak. His wings will immediately pull out and he will begin standing on his legs straight. Just enough water to submerse the legs. Let your baby kick about a bit. I really do believe my conure cannot feel his lower half.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Brittany,
I like to fill up my sink with at least 5 inches of water and I let him hook my hand or fingers with his beak. His wings will immediately pull out and he will begin standing on his legs straight. Just enough water to submerse the legs. Let your baby kick about a bit. I really do believe my conure cannot feel his lower half.
My guy has no range of motion in his leg, but I'll try to get him used to the water. May have to try the tub again since his wings make it difficult in the sink. Thank you.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Hey, that sounds great!!! I’d contact eightisaflock on instagram, she has a similarly injured baby cockatiel (both legs severely disabled and malformed).

Once he gets older, I might suggest a CritterNation cage for him as they offer a huge amount of floor space :)

If he can use his wings, then I would get him to build muscle on those and he will end up using them to get around. As long as he’s getting avian vet visits and you make sure his spine isn’t getting more damaged, he should be great! Thanks for rescuing the little guy.

Borxmomma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen
Hello, welcome to you and your baby. That is awesome you have him and working with him as well. I believe no matter what every bird needs a chance no matter if they are disabled or not. Thank you for taking the time and getting him. And the water aerobics is great I pray everything gets better for the little guy.