• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New mom, stressed mom.

Coco123

Moving in
Real Name
Corinne
Hello everyone!

My name is Coco. I recently adopted a yellow female canary from another owner who had her for about a year and a half but couldn't take care of her because of health issues. I named her Pheobe! She is my first bird which makes me very anxious because 1. I have never thought I could form such a strong bond with a little bird like her and 2. I had to learn everything about canaries and less than a few days. I joined this forum to learn more about birds in general but also to get some tips about what to look for in terms of red flags when it comes to their health.

Before adopting her, the past owner told me that Pheobe lays eggs everyday. After a bit of research I found out that it was not normal. I changed a couple things and TA-DA today she didn't lay an egg. However, she seems a little out of it today. She only gets out of her nest to eat and drink but does not want to come out of her cage and fly around or even sing a little bit. Do I have to be on the look out for any symptoms, should I call a vet?

Thank you for your answers!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1: and Welcome!

I’ll tag someone who will be able to help. @finchly

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Corinne and Pheobe! 1.welcome signs.gif

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello! I’m going to make a wild guess that she’s thinking about laying an egg. What is your light cycle like? Can you reduce it by covering the cage for 12 hours?

Joog

Moving in
Real Name
joog
i would cover the cage for 14/15 hours, if you do so, she will go moulting. This you do for 2 to 3 months than you can give her more light. And dont give her a nest to lay the eggs in, a nest will only encourage her to lay eggs.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Everyday is alot. She might have an egg & is sitting on it even though its not fertile. Hopefully she does not become egg bound. Laying an egg that often is hard on her as it wastes her nutrients & energy. She'll need a good diet to help.
Hopefully she is ok.

If you have a nest it will make her want to lay more eggs. Perhaps get some more advice but I don't think she should have a nest.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
what a pretty bird, :welcomesign:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME TO AVIAN AVENUE!!! Yes, you found the right spot to get some info! So many people here to help... :dance1:
I've never had a canary...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:welave:

shoog

Strolling the yard
Real Name
shoog
I don't know if you know or do this already, but always stick with a healthy diet for your canary, and keep feeding her many and many fruits and veggies, I advise you to read what might be poisonous to her, you can feed her the seed mix, but it will make much liver damage if it were her main diet, and provide to her many much toys that do not have little pieces, I don't know if canary does like to chow, but if they do try giving her wooden toys or make it yourself!
she looks like a really fun and adorable bird!
and if she anything like my birds, DO NEVER let a cold cup of water near her alone in the middle OF THE WINTER

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think I would consult an avian vet. I have a lovebirds and a cockatoo. I don't think her behavior is normal. Also.... :grpwelcome: :santadance:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think I would consult an avian vet. I have a lovebirds and a cockatoo. I don't think her behavior is normal. Also.... :grpwelcome: :santadance:
Do you have canaries? I have 2 sitting in nests right now. Hrrrm not nests, FOOD DISHES they have invented into nests. There aren't going to be any eggs, they're just "playing".

I also have an adult male Gouldian finch in a nest box, doing the baby-head-twist thing whenever a bird flies by. He wants someone to feed him!

The whole bird room has gone nuts.