• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW MEMBER WITH A LOVE BIRD

Habiba

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Habiba
F6D93361-043B-43BA-BF29-403ABC8B424A.jpeg Hi all, I’m Habiba and I’ve just signed up an account now because I’ve never owned a bird before.
So I just rescued a lovebird a that seems to have flown from one of the neighbours a few days ago and I decided to keep it and named it tweety lol.
As apparent, I have zero experience in birds and that’s the first bird so I need your help with some questions.
1)I bought it a cage and two types of seeds and water ofc but I was wondering what other seeds or fruits and veggies do they love?
2)Do they feel lonely or need to be in pairs or can I just have a single one?
3) I noticed that when it rests it moves its tail up and down and makes weird noises just like the sound the door makes when you open it slowly creeking? (Lol I’m so bad at describing) so I searched this behaviour and all the results agreed that this is a respiratory problem so do you think I need a vet?
4) Is it a must to get tweety out of the cage? It was so difficult to put it in the cage at first place because tweety is so damn hyper and isn’t hand tamed so whenever i approach him he flies to the highest place he can reach

Thank you loads in advance and sorry for wasting your time

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Tweety! :)

I have no experience with Lovies...but I'm assuming other Roadies that are owned by them will be along shortly to advise you.

And you are never wasting our time when you're asking questions about your bird...;) :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@cassiesdad Thank you that’s so sweet of you ❤

So you own makaws?
We are owned by a budgie, three cockatiels, a Nanday Conure, and Milton, an Umbrella Cockatoo. :) They keep us very busy around here, for sure...;)

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I brought home my two little Lovebird boys eighteen months ago. I've always had a crush on Lovebirds, I love their feisty funny and endearing personalities. Mine bring me so much joy.

Habiba

Real Name
Habiba
I brought home my two little Lovebird boys eighteen months ago. I've always had a crush on Lovebirds, I love their feisty funny and endearing personalities. Mine bring me so much joy.
@nu2birds Oh lol nice enjoy with your lovies
So do you recommend 2 males together? They say the female is so agressive

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have 2 lovies my male is sweet and attached to me my female is a brat thinks she rules the bird room lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block

Habiba

Real Name
Habiba
I have 2 lovies my male is sweet and attached to me my female is a brat thinks she rules the bird room lol
Hahaha that’s nice .. do you have pictures? I’d like to see the cuties ❤

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Of tail bobbing and making noises with breathing then yes he or she should see a vet.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
1) Most of my birds will at least try shredded vegetables. Broccoli, Swiss chard, green apples, peppers (both the spicy and not spicy variety, seeds included), walnuts, almond, and other things like scrambled egg with the shell crushed in and cooked are loved by my birds. It may take a bit to convince them to try some, but once they do, they get hooked on it. I also like to offer a small portion of cooked wild rice and a tiny bit of plain pasta every now and then.

2) I find keeping more than one very beneficial to birds in general, but you may have to give them their own cages. I'd recommend getting a boy, as they're not as territorial. However, you'll need a bigger cage if you do want them to share.

3) I'd take the bird to the vet. The 'creaking' may be beak grinding, which is a happy noise, but the bobbing tail could be something serious. The only other thing I can think of is masterbation, but it's pretty obvious when they do that.

4) My birds really enjoy being out of the cage. He's likely hyper because he's bored and scared because he's new. He needs toys and new perches. The one you have is very bad for their feet. My lovebirds all love paper, wicker baskets, wood- anything they can chew and destroy. If you have bird safe trees free of pesticides in your area, they can double as perches and toys. My birds enjoy stripping the bark, snapping off twigs and chewing off any leaves that I bring them.
Bamboo is another fun thing for them that doubles as a perch and a toy. They also love shredding Chinese finger traps

If you only provide food and water in the cage, and give him toys and fun things to do in his cage, he should go home on his own when he's hungry or thirsty.

I've noticed that my more shy boys love my hair. They get nervous when I look at them, but will land on my back or hop onto my head when I bend down and offer the top of my head. Another good way to gain trust is just laying down. Close the door to keep him in a room with you, let him out of his cage and just let him be. Read, write, whatever you want to do. Don't give him attention, don't bother him. It may take a few days of doing this for a few minutes a day, but it worked for my boys.

Habiba

Real Name
Habiba
1) Most of my birds will at least try shredded vegetables. Broccoli, Swiss chard, green apples, peppers (both the spicy and not spicy variety, seeds included), walnuts, almond, and other things like scrambled egg with the shell crushed in and cooked are loved by my birds. It may take a bit to convince them to try some, but once they do, they get hooked on it. I also like to offer a small portion of cooked wild rice and a tiny bit of plain pasta every now and then.

2) I find keeping more than one very beneficial to birds in general, but you may have to give them their own cages. I'd recommend getting a boy, as they're not as territorial. However, you'll need a bigger cage if you do want them to share.

3) I'd take the bird to the vet. The 'creaking' may be beak grinding, which is a happy noise, but the bobbing tail could be something serious. The only other thing I can think of is masterbation, but it's pretty obvious when they do that.

4) My birds really enjoy being out of the cage. He's likely hyper because he's bored and scared because he's new. He needs toys and new perches. The one you have is very bad for their feet. My lovebirds all love paper, wicker baskets, wood- anything they can chew and destroy. If you have bird safe trees free of pesticides in your area, they can double as perches and toys. My birds enjoy stripping the bark, snapping off twigs and chewing off any leaves that I bring them.
Bamboo is another fun thing for them that doubles as a perch and a toy. They also love shredding Chinese finger traps

If you only provide food and water in the cage, and give him toys and fun things to do in his cage, he should go home on his own when he's hungry or thirsty.

I've noticed that my more shy boys love my hair. They get nervous when I look at them, but will land on my back or hop onto my head when I bend down and offer the top of my head. Another good way to gain trust is just laying down. Close the door to keep him in a room with you, let him out of his cage and just let him be. Read, write, whatever you want to do. Don't give him attention, don't bother him. It may take a few days of doing this for a few minutes a day, but it worked for my boys.
That’s really helpful I don’t know how to thank you it will help alot ❤

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That’s really helpful I don’t know how to thank you it will help alot ❤
It's not a problem!

If you really want to get Tweetie a friend, I highly recommend male black masks and fishers lovebirds. All my boys are pretty sweet little guys, but you'll want to find out if Tweetie is male or female. The test is rather inexpensive and far more accurate than behavioral cues.

If she's a she, you may produce hybrid babies and it's really not good for the babies. If she is a girl and you're not okay with boiling or freezing eggs, it's generally better to get a boy peach face.

Habiba

Real Name
Habiba
@Garet so if Tweety is a girl, I have to avoid male black masks and fishers because the babies will be hybird and hybrids don’t reproduce, yeah? Or did I get that wrong ☹