• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New member, old bird owner!

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
Hi everyone! I'm Jen, and I'm not exactly a newbie (I've lurked quite a bit in the past) but I only just joined because I'm having a very hard time with the loss of my 20-year old parrotlet and I don't really have other bird people to talk to right now. So yeah, hi.

Despite the giant parrotlet-shaped hole in my life I do have other birds who keep me busy: two cockatiels, Mojo and Kazooie (21 and almost 23, respectively), Speckles the 9-year old zebra finch, and a 6-year old Gloster canary named Bernie. I've really never been birdless, my mom even had a budgie while she was pregnant with me! :laugh:

I've volunteered with bird rescues (both pet bird and wildlife rehabilitation), taken ornithology courses, gone to behavior/training seminars, and I've had the good fortune to work with everything from hummingbirds to hyacinth macaws. The past few years have been pretty "blah" though (even before 2020) as I've been trying to find a balance between having extremely bad migraines and extremely loud and bright activities. I do feel like I'm made some progress with the headaches so hopefully this spring/summer I can try to get back to some of my old interests.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
60623AFD-8B80-4F23-BDDF-14131EF2F94F.png
Sorry for your loss :bighug:
I love Gloster canaries!
:needpics:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Welcome!

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jen! 1.welcome signs.gif

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome and sorry for your loss.

Parroteye

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jim
Hi everyone! I'm Jen, and I'm not exactly a newbie (I've lurked quite a bit in the past) but I only just joined because I'm having a very hard time with the loss of my 20-year old parrotlet and I don't really have other bird people to talk to right now. So yeah, hi.

Despite the giant parrotlet-shaped hole in my life I do have other birds who keep me busy: two cockatiels, Mojo and Kazooie (21 and almost 23, respectively), Speckles the 9-year old zebra finch, and a 6-year old Gloster canary named Bernie. I've really never been birdless, my mom even had a budgie while she was pregnant with me! :laugh:

I've volunteered with bird rescues (both pet bird and wildlife rehabilitation), taken ornithology courses, gone to behavior/training seminars, and I've had the good fortune to work with everything from hummingbirds to hyacinth macaws. The past few years have been pretty "blah" though (even before 2020) as I've been trying to find a balance between having extremely bad migraines and extremely loud and bright activities. I do feel like I'm made some progress with the headaches so hopefully this spring/summer I can try to get back to some of my old interests.
I am sorry you lost your little parrotlet, but with twenty years of cute behavior to look back on, the tears will start to come with smiles and warm memories.

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
Thanks for all of the welcomes everyone! :heart:

I am sorry you lost your little parrotlet, but with twenty years of cute behavior to look back on, the tears will start to come with smiles and warm memories.
I'm definitely at the point now where looking at pictures of the little goof makes me more happy than sad, it's a rollercoaster though. Have some more pics, here he is critiquing a portrait of himself and one very majestic mid-blink chicken-feet photo.

Attachments

Soup14

Moving in
Real Name
Shorouk
Thanks for all of the welcomes everyone! :heart:

I'm definitely at the point now where looking at pictures of the little goof makes me more happy than sad, it's a rollercoaster though. Have some more pics, here he is critiquing a portrait of himself and one very majestic mid-blink chicken-feet photo.
Im so sorry for your loss.. I’m suffering the same thing though I’ve only had him for 10 months due to an accident .. 20 years wow I’m sure they had a amazing time I hope you feel better soon please take your time

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry to hear of your loss. We all wish they could stay with us forever. Sometimes bad things happen but you have 20 years of beautiful memories.
Welcome to the avenue and looking forward to hearing more about your other babies :)