• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New member need help with Budgie breeding info

Alex Latio

Checking out the neighborhood
Excuse me Can someone help? My Budgies keep on laying eggs but are mostly infertile so they just keep throwing the eggs outside the Nests. I am also just a newbie in Keeping Budgies I have only started for 3 months the birds that I bought from was from a good and known breeder in our area. I don't know if my male budgie is having low sperm. If so can someone help/suggest some things?
@Zara or any mods

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How old are your budgies?

Do they live in a large flight cage?

What is their diet?

How many budgies do you have?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Alex :)

I was also going to ask how old they are. If they are too young it can result in infertile eggs. It is important to keep a diary of eggs to make sure your hen is not laying too much.

You say the eggs are infertile because she throws them out of the nest, but this can also happen when an immature hen doesn´t know what she is doing and will toss eggs even if they are fertile.

Do your bird mate?

Maybe you could post a picture of your set up and your birds?

Alex Latio

Checking out the neighborhood
How old are your budgies?

Do they live in a large flight cage?

What is their diet?

How many budgies do you have?
My budgies are almost 2 yrs old

Yes it's also large enough for another pair to live in

Mixed bird seeds are mostly what I give them I'm not from a large city that's why Their diet is just minimum

I have only 1 pair of budgies
+ I don't have a Cellphone sry can't picture the cage, I'm just using a nearby local computer shop to chat my family can't really afford a cellphone

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Since you are just a beginner, I would suggest separating the birds into their own cages, then doing lots and lots and lots of research, then do lots more.

I'm not trying to scare you away from breeding, it's just a lot more complicated than people think it is. Just because budgies are small, doesn't mean they don't need a lot of care, especially while breeding or trying to breed.

Separate them for now, and remove the nest from the cage. We will help answer all of your questions, then once you feel confident you know what you are doing, and have the means to look after your birds and chicks properly, then you can think about pairing them up again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Excellent advice above. If you intend to breed you will have to enhance the diet to be well balanced with vitamin A and calcium rich foods. A mostly seed diet will eventually lead to liver failure. Pellets are also a good addition to a well balanced meal. FYI - not all budgie pairs will mate. Some are just good buddies.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Are the perches loose? Loose perches can result in infertile eggs.
How about the water? Try giving them boiled or distilled water.
What's the nest like? How big? What material? What are you using for substrate?
Are they in breeding mode? When they get hormonal the female's cere should get brown and flaky and the Male's should get deep blue.
I understand if you can't get ahold of pellets, but try feeding them vegetables and hardboiled eggs in addition to seeds.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My lovebirds are not budgies, but I had budgies when I was younger.

The critical factor for them and all breeding parrots, is diet.

Very high quality

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Breeding is complicated and a lot of things can go wrong: parents can attack or abandon their young, chicks can get sick, older chicks can crowd out the younger ones, chicks can fail to thrive... If you are serious about breeding, then you need to know about emergency care for a sick, injured or abandoned chick, need to have an appropriate brooder to keep them warm, need to be a skilled handfeeder (and therefore know about temperatures, preparing food, how much to feed, how to get food into a chick and how to wean) and you need space for all the babies as they grow. You will also need an avian vet on hand for both emergencies and for routine care.

You've only been keeping budgies for a few months and your birds aren't on a good diet. I agree with @PoukieBear - separate your birds for now and do lots and lots of research into breeding. At the moment you're simply not equipped to cope if anything does go wrong.