• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent New Macaw, Small Bump on Cheek

KiaTheMacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mike
Hi All, I am new to the forum - we have other birds but just adopted a Macaw. The Macaw has a small bump on his cheek sort of similar to what I'd say looks like a pimple but away from feathers. Please see the picture for reference I've circled it. We have a vet appointment but can't get in for about a week for his physical. Is this anything we should be overly concerned with? I've read they can get acne/ingrown feathers but it seems to be away from the feathers and it looks identical to his skin color with no redness. He also doesn't seem bothered at all by it - no scratching. Thank you for your input! We also got him a much larger cage, this was temporary for the day he came home with us. The new one is about 6.5 feet tall, and 5 feet wide.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Macaws seem to get little lumps and bumps on their cheeks. Believe me it is quite common. Just keep an eye on the bump until she gets to the vet next week. Then ask the Dr. about it.

Welcome to AA Kia is a pretty bird.

KiaTheMacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mike
Macaws seem to get little lumps and bumps on their cheeks. Believe me it is quite common. Just keep an eye on the bump until she gets to the vet next week. Then ask the Dr. about it.

Welcome to AA Kia is a pretty bird.
Thank you so much for the quick reply, we're new to Macaw's but have a pair of Amazon's and an Umberlla that just turned 8. Kia has been awesome so far and a clean bill of health is something we are looking forward to. He's a little standoffish and cage aggressive but every day has gotten easier to handle over the past few days.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

KiaTheMacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mike
Just FYI - please house your Umbrella away from and sperate from your Amazons and especially your B&G. Pulmonary hypersensitive syndrome is real and the B&Gs seem to be most susceptible to cockatoo, African Grey and cockatiel powder down.

Please read this; Macaw Asthma in Birds | petMD

and this; http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...ers-needed-for-zoe.145993/page-8#post-2079810
Thank you for the heads up - we're in quarantine currently, I haven't figured out rooming situations, we have a great room where the Umbrella is at the other end from the others currently - strongly reconsidering the layout. We have a roomba exclusively for that room that runs nightly - and wet swifffer/dust twice a week. We also have an air purifier near the Umbrella. We bathe Echo (the umbrella) frequently to try and cut back. I will likely move Echo to the family room after seeing this. I absolutely believe it after seeing the amount of dander the umbrella created before adapting our routine.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you. So many people just poopoo it and say it will never happen to me. But it does happen to people's birds.

The woman who lost Zoe (her heart bird) also lost her B&G from the same thing five or six years later, although the Grey had been gone since the death of Zoe - the damage had already been done.

KiaTheMacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mike
That's awful I can't even imagine! We'll make changes here to adapt the environment based on this - already taking a lot of precautions to limit dander and travel of it!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
As Hankmacaw said the macaws do tend to get little bumps and lumps on those white cheeks quite often.
My B&G currently has quite a few little raised red lumps on his pretty cheeks, they usually disappear within about a week.
They stand out so clearly against their white cheeks that the first few I noticed put me into a panic lol. :)

KiaTheMacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mike
I appreciate the feedback when I first saw it I panicked ! Thank you!