• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New macaw-sized toy (engaging and robust? ...TBD)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
We received a new shipment today, and while Oscar is mostly interested in the box it arrived in, I'll post an update about how he likes this new toy once he engages with it.

It's entirely stainless steel, feels very sturdy, and is fairly simple with two balls that spin around in an enclosed cage.
The balls have 1/4" holes in them, so that may allow placement of something inside, but I'm not sure what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (ideas welcome)
They're ABS plastic, and the only caution I read regarding that material is in the context of 3D printing when it's heated and causes fumes.
If anyone has specific concerns about ABS in this application, please let me know.

new toys (Medium).jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like it should drive him nuts. Great toy.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think if any kind of plastic is heated it will release fumes, and when dry:safe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve seen those at my local stock feed store but they were powder coated and the balls didn’t have holes.
Im interested to find out if your birds like it.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have had the same toy, but the powder coated model for years. My previous macaw, JaJaBinks, broke the welds on 2 or 3 of them, which allowed the 2 rounded parts to become floppy & the ball fall out. The model I had/have only has one large Marbella ball/a half inch hole.

JaKhu, present macaw, also broke hers. I think the center post is spot welded to the top & bottom rounded sections, which is where it broke, then she snapped a section off one of the top rounded pieces. She managed to force the ball out too. JaKhu is very destructive.

If the SS model holds up to a macaw I'd like to know, as it's a majorly huge favorite toy.

As far as the toy both my macaws love(d) this toy. They swing from it, hang from it, beat it up, etc.

I see a Tiki rope in the pic. JaKhu has a 6 foot/2 inch one in the aviary & she managed to pull parts of the rope out of one end. We just wrapped it with vet wrap in hopes it'll hold up. If not then we'll cut it off & put/glue new PVC ends on it. Told you she's destructive.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Where'd you find it? :pinklol3: I need to get one for the macaw boys and a smaller version for the goffinses if they make 'em

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that Oscar more interested in the box on the floor? lol!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks for the heads up on this!
I've gone and ordered a few of their toys, they do look pretty sturdy and I've a Goffin in mind for one of them.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've a Goffin in mind for one of them.
I can't wait to hear what Sweden thinks! :pinksmile: I'll try one of these for the boys, but Bug is our biggest toy enthusiast & I'm very interested in the ones with bolts for her.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That is the one I got for Sweden. Bolts and nuts are her downfall. She once unscrewed my deck!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
So frustrating that ours won't touch her macadamia nuts!
Really! That's wild. This guy gets about 50 lb of raw in-shell macs shipped in every couple months. He would only eat those if we let him. I worked with hyacinths at a training facility for a little bit & each bird had a specific amount of macs allotted to them for each day. Ours is very spoiled in comparison, lol.

DocG

Moving in
Yes, what the heck is wrong with ours! She needs that high fat, right?! We got her shipped to us apparently from a little old lady when she was four and am not sure what her diet was, but she eats pellets and want to eat and will eat anything we eat - of course the birds seems to target straight for the onions which, as I understand it, are bad for birds, so we are always struggling to keep those away from them. She will eat almonds in the shell, but what, those have too much oxalic acid or something in them. I dont remember. She won't freaking touch those darn raw in-shell macs that come in from hawaii! I collect bench vises, so I will sit there cracking them in a vise and eat them thinking she will want them since I am eating them..... NOOOOOO. She won't touch em! WTH! She is weird. She has a feather she clipped (on her wing, UGH) and likes to stick it in her nostril as well and if you walk up to her, she will then pull it out. I think she is six now...I am a bad parent, but I should know. Maybe that is an age thing. Wish I could get her to eat the macs, I would love to see her open one! She won't eat brazils,...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes, what the heck is wrong with ours! She needs that high fat, right?! We got her shipped to us apparently from a little old lady when she was four and am not sure what her diet was, but she eats pellets and want to eat and will eat anything we eat - of course the birds seems to target straight for the onions which, as I understand it, are bad for birds, so we are always struggling to keep those away from them. She will eat almonds in the shell, but what, those have too much oxalic acid or something in them. I dont remember. She won't freaking touch those darn raw in-shell macs that come in from hawaii! I collect bench vises, so I will sit there cracking them in a vise and eat them thinking she will want them since I am eating them..... NOOOOOO. She won't touch em! WTH! She is weird. She has a feather she clipped (on her wing, UGH) and likes to stick it in her nostril as well and if you walk up to her, she will then pull it out. I think she is six now...I am a bad parent, but I should know. Maybe that is an age thing. Wish I could get her to eat the macs, I would love to see her open one! She won't eat brazils,...
Almonds are fine. They’re possibly the healthiest of nuts, walnuts are pretty good too.

DocG

Moving in
I guess I wont worry about the macs, but, I will keep trying. Hopefully the pellets are adequate for her and I will ramp up the other nuts then for her; they are supposed to eat fatty nuts, but then other reading contradicts that. In the wild, it almost exclusively the fatty nuts... anyway. thank you!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I received mine about a week or so ago.
The one pictured, I don't think Chaos (GW Macaw) has even touched it.
If he has, it's not when I'm home. Not sure how or what to stuff the balls with, that might interest him if I could figure something out.
Sweden (Goffin) does play with the nut/wingnuts strip. I've not seen her play with it either, but everyday when I come home all the nuts and wingnuts are moved about.
I also got a smaller spinner toy, and put that one in the play cage. So far no one has seemed interested enough to investigate it.