• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New M2

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Thank you all again. He’s been in his cage all day and I hAve been going up to him and talking to him and cleaned out cage etc. he goes between hissing to asking for pets. I did open the cage and scratched his head a few times. He’s not much into treats so that won’t work in the way of bribery. I have an indoor trainer and was cycling in the living room and watching a show and he was swaying side to side. He looked relaxed like he was copying me. Kinda cute. I could feel my attitude toward him softening a bit, so I guess this watching eachother thing has been good so far. I also bought pvc to make the t-perch and placed it near the cage for him to get used it. So ill be honest...I work in the healthcare field and I honestly dont mind the pain of a bite or blood etc. what really scares me are horror stories of people getting maimed, facials bites, eyes or cockatoos going for jugulars (yea this was an article I read). I know how powerful that beak can be but how many of you have suffered severe injuries ? My anxious brain needs some calming. Google sometimes can be a very scary thing.
As the owner of an Amazon and a Too, the ‘zon wins hands down as the more aggressive attacker. Bo brutally attacks my wife on occasion; we believe he thinks it’s a game.
The difficulty with him is there’s very little warning. Coco is a bit easier to predict. Right now she’s on me sharing breakfast. Scarfing down a banana. Calm as a kitten.

Again, don’t fear but be cautious and don’t let your guard down. Sounds like things are progressing well.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Update: I had Sammy in the cage for a few days and just scratched and talking to him. I Built a pvc stand to get him off the floor when he gets down. He did get down one time and tried the chasing and I stood my ground and he backed off and waddled away.
so I started having him step up again and today he was super sweet until I wanted to set him down on the sink and he chomped down again. I tried not to react but it was painful so did yell out a bit in pains. I then grabbed the t stand and placed him back on cage. How do I approach this situation with him biting to tell me he’s not wanting to be set down? He seems to be okay in other situations now.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
I feel like that was super confusing. I mean T perch not stand. It seems like he is only biting when he doesn’t want to be placed down somewhere and wants to stay on my arm. Hard to get away from that when he’s already on the arm. I can continue using the t perch but how do I transition back to using arm?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You do not handle him with your arm/hand. That is the target. You transport and put him down with that stick. If he bites he gets the stick. Not your meat.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear that you got bit. It does sound like overall that things are going well and that you're making a lot of improvement. I can't say enough how cockatoos react to praise. When he does something well, really praise him for it. :)

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Things with my M2 are doing okay. He has now learned to dive and attack from cage so this complicates things. He only did it to a friend of mine but still realizing that he can do it is a scary concept. I’m continuing hands off approach. What’s the best way for him to get exercise with hands off and no floor allowed? I can’t imagine sitting on a play stand or even climbing around the cage or on top of cage is enough?