• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New M2

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Hello all,
I just adopted a Moluccan from a local rescue 6 days ago. He was very sweet at the rescue although report of one person being bit. He would give warnings when he wasn’t happy but other than that no obvious aggression. I have opened the cage to let him come out if he wanted to since he came home. He was sweet the first 3 days and would watch everything around him and let me pick him up and scratch his head. 3 days ago I picked him up and set him down on a chair. I picked him up again and when I wanted to set him back down he bit me. He also started wandering the floor and hopping around. He also attempted another bite when I was scratching his head on the floor. Yesterday and today has been a nightmare. He came out of the cage and went right down to the floor and started aggressively chasing and attacking my feet. I wasn’t able to pick him up and eventually shooed him back into cage. Today once again he came out and right down to floor. He was fine at first and I just gently scratched his head. He then started aggressively attacking one of the dog toys then went back at my feet again. I had shoes on and stood my ground but he just kept going after me. I couldn’t get him to step up as he was so angry and trying to bite. From my research yesterday, I read to place him into cage if he bites but How do I do that if he is trying to attack? I grabbed a blanket and picked him up that way. He didn’t like it but I placed him back into cage that way. I know it’s only been a week and it’s an adjustment period but o am honestly terrified of him right now and don’t know where to go from here. How do I keep him off the ground? Do I just let him settle in a while longer before allowing him to come out again? He has been vet checked and I don’t pet him on body . He has also been getting proper sleep and diet. Any advice appreciated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I think investing in a T-stick (T-perch) could be something to look into, to help you move your bird when needed.

@JLcribber @Sarahmoluccan @macawpower58

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hello: He's new. There are some too people who can help you get in the right direction but you just got him. It takes time & I'm not sure what anyone else would think but I would not let him out of the cage yet until he had more time getting to feel safe in the new home. He's running amuck & learning bad behaviors as he's scared now & taking it out on you. You need to go backwards & have him get used to the new house & you. You don't want to reinforce this behavior & he;s giving the upper hand. Right now I think avoiding the situation by not letting him out until he feels more secure might be the best thing I could think of. Give treats in the cage.

First bite sounds like you went to put him down & he did not want to or got scared.
He got his way. Then he's finding a fun game chasing after your feet. You don't want to play this game.

You can;t punish birds by putting them back in the cage when they bite. They don't learn anything that way. You have to try to keep one step ahead & not be in a situation where they can bite. For now while hes so new keeping him in the cage gives you both time to get to know each other. You teach by setting up & reinforcing positive interactions not reacting to or reinforcing negative.

When you let him out remember Toos are very smart & need alot of interaction but your guy is conflicted. He's new & may be half scared & half trying to access the situation to get what he wants. You have to study him & try to be prepared. Does he step up on a perch. Get the T stand. Does he have a playstand or tree? You'll have to step hi up before he gets to the floor or right after & keep returning him to a safe place.

Maybe a photo of too & setup etc. How is he in the cage? If he;s scared maybe cover a side or two so he has a place to sit back & feel safe while he takes in the new situation hes in & accepts its safe.

Well, that's all I can think of but it will be interesting to see what the too people have to help the situation. Toos can be such characters sometimes endearing sometimes imps of destruction & mayhem. You need to have patience, time, determination & energy.

Good Luck.

@JLcribber @cassiesdad @sunnysmom

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This sounds to me like a spoiled, used to his own way Too. One who's owners couldn't handle, thus up for adoption.
If he's hopping about, going after toys and you, I don't think fear is the main problem.
It's a Too that has no limits, or boundaries.

Hoping JLCribber can give you some good advice. I'm hesitant to advise at this time except to say maybe not to allow him out for now until you have a plan.

Your fear will just get worse without knowing what to do. There are some great Too experts here. Wait for them to chime in.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you don't have any previous big parrot experience I'm sorry to say you are in a bit over your head. It's going to be a rough ride for quite a while. A big male cockatoo is a formidable foe. You must be able to get over the fear and start think of this as a challenge and start being confident in moving forward. If not this bird will always have your number.

I don't even know where to start. As Zara said getting a "tool" to help you with handling is essential. The T stick has saved me a lot of blood. Give this a read on why.

Pictures - The T stick.

You're going to need to power learn some behaviour stuff.

Cockatoo aggression.

And sooner or later you will be dealing with hormones. More reading.

Sex and the Pstiticine.

You can't fix something until you really understand it. If you're going to see this through then I wish you strength and courage. You will get help here.

How old is this bird and what history do you have?

Last edited:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Miss Coco (M2) is now almost 11, and we’ve had her since she was 6 months. It took a long time for her to reach sexual maturity, but she has and her behavior has definitely changed. She’s far more aggressive towards me at times, and I don’t let her on the floor at all. She’s fast and can bite hard! Floors seem to set her off, so we don’t let her roam freely.

We are learning to deal with her mood swings, and Samantha manages her firmly, which works wonders. They ultimately know who’s the boss.

You will get better at managing your bird, don’t give up. We’re here for support.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Thank you for all your responses. I have owned an Amazon and pionus but this is my first large large parrot, and I definitely feel like I’m in over my head at the moment. But He is here and we’re gonna work it out somehow. He appears at times fearful as he reacts to sudden noises and movements but the hopping and aggression doesn’t appear to be from fear. He just gets a look in his eye and stares right at me and goes for it. he has a large cage 4 foot by 3 foot by 6 foot with a play top. He is in the living room but it’s just me here. He has played a little with toys but not much. He only really started playing yesterday and it was again a very aggressive attack chewing of the wooden toys. I’ll read the info provided and will continue reading and give him some time to settle down in his cage. I just feel like keeping him couped up in his cage might make behaviors worse ? Any tips on getting over the fear ? I was wearing long sleeved shirts and shoes to prevent a bad bite.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I definitely feel like I’m in over my head at the moment. But He is here and we’re gonna work it out somehow.
That's what I want to hear. Your biggest tool is going to be watching him. And I mean keenly observing him. Learning his body language. Watch the eyes. They tell everything. He is going to study and learn you as much as you are so you better do it just a little better. Be consistent. They love routine.
He appears at times fearful as he reacts to sudden noises and movements but the hopping and aggression doesn’t appear to be from fear. He just gets a look in his eye and stares right at me and goes for it.
He's actually as scared as you are. There is a honeymoon period. You've got a good 3 months minimum before this bird builds enough trust/familiarity in you and its new world before his true character will start showing itself.
Any tips on getting over the fear ? I was wearing long sleeved shirts and shoes to prevent a bad bite.
This is where the T stick comes in. Your fear is of being bitten. A bird can only bite you if "you" provide the opportunity by offering your flesh. That's called a sucker move. That stick gives you control. It just a matter of conditioning him to its presence and use. Everything is new so introducing now is just one more little thing. Gotten over quickly. Much more difficult once the bird is comfortable. Might take a week or two of slow exposure but something I would definitely put in my tool box. That sticks also serves as a powerful non verbal cue for many behaviours. It becomes "the preferred way" to travel.

I wrote this just for you about 3 years ago. :D
Pictures - The T stick.

Buckle up and hold on. It's the biggest roller coaster you've ever been on. :D

Last edited:

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
I will definitely make a T stick ASAP. I was visiting him for a month prior to adoption and never had problems with him stepping up or down off the floor or play stands. Never any biting or aggression. I can definitely see the change in his eyes. He’s got a look I can’t describe , it’s menacing haha. Oh boy sure have my hands full. I’ll definitely be on here for advice. Now i will avoid situations where he can bite, BUT if a bite or attack does happen, what should I do? I have read many places to remain calm and place in cage but is this not the right thing to do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It does not matter how he behaved or "was" at the rescue. That is all out the window. This is a new world and everyone is starting at zero.

BUT if a bite or attack does happen, what should I do? I have read many places to remain calm and place in cage but is this not the right thing to do?
When lightning strikes the proper thing to do is not to cause any kind of "drama". That is a reward. Of course your going to yell ouch and pull away from a bite. That is natural. What's drama is jumping up and down crying in front of the bird or shaking your finger at him and yelling no after that initial bite. The proper reaction is to just put the bird down right where you are (do not use the cage as a tool to punish). If it's an uncomfortable place for the bird so what. Consequence of the bite. Go in the bathroom, jump up and down, tend to your wound, then go back and act like nothing happened. Don't give him the satisfaction of knowing he got you.

You've got lots to learn. There's lot of good info in the stickys of each section. Worth exploring.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Situational awareness helps also. We used to let Miss Coco hang out on the top of her cage while I was cleaning Bo's (our Amazon) cage for the night. Well, one night she very quickly jumped on top of Bo's cage and bit me - hard - just above the eye.

Never saw it coming. Could have been way worse, but this forever changed how we clean cages pre-bedtime. She no longer is allowed next to me when I'm doing that.

The point is that you needn't fear your relationship with your bird. Just understand that certain things can trigger 'aggressive, opportunistic' behavior. Why cage cleaning sets (actually now both of them) off, we have no idea (another aspect of our birds is they pick up on each others bad behavior).

Miss Coco can also be as sweet as candy, and that is most of the time. Go figure.

I guess the 'will keep you on your toes' description is accurate, lol.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you don't have one, you need a large stand. Your bird should not be roaming on the floor, as you've learned. Someone will be hurt badly. Of a dog, which may react and leave you with a tragedy.

You might give him his own table, like a card table with toys and things that are "his" to play with and/or destroy. I would not give him a box. I'd put toy parts, some plastic baby toys (I'd only let him have these if I were supervising), as cockatoos seem to adore them; maybe a toddler activity set? I've seen cockatoos that like them. You'll have to transfer him to his table, and he'll come to appreciate the transport. If he can get down, you'll have to McGyver it somehow. He cannot be on the floor.

M2s are very athletic birds, so he needs lots of outlets. Be creative. Or be a thief, like me. I've seen all of these ideas online from large cockatoo owners over the past 10 years. I admire your commitment and hope you remain so. He needs a home that will respect him and let him be a large, male cockatoo.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My thought on the situation is he's acting from a combination of uncertainty/fear/anger being in a new home and testing you. My goffin will walk all over you if you let him. Not because he's mean- but because he's smart. So although it's hard to get over fear, you have to get over your fear. Because if your 'too knows you're afraid he's going to run all over you. I've only had my 'too for 2-3 years. So I don't have nearly the experience of some of the other cockatoo owners here but I will try to offer some advise. First, I think it's okay to leave him in his cage for a couple days until he calms down a bit. Maybe spend time just sitting with him. Hand feeding him some treats through the cage bars if you can and just reassuring him that he's okay in this new place. Once you get to know each other better, you should be able to see the potential bites coming and hopefully stop them before they happen. My goffin bites my fiance. Almost every time I have either just said to my fiance to stop what he was doing or have been in the process of opening my mouth to say- he's going to bite you- when he's been bit. He doesn't make the effort to "read" him and it definitely back fires on him. One of the worst things you can do is let your cockatoo get too excited. An excited cockatoo is a bitey cockatoo. And it's not aggression in that case- they just get uncontrollably excited. And part of it again, is just learning your 'too's limits. Cockatoos love to play and they love excitement. But I now can see my 'too's breaking point and when I see he's getting too ramped up I will do something to try to calm him down (sometimes I even sing him a soft song and he'll start swaying and calming down). Or if I think it's getting too bad, I walk out of the room. You want to avoid that bite if you can. If you can't, like @JLcribber said, you don't want to over react. It's hard. It hurts. But you don't want to yell at them or make a scene. Cockatoos thrive on attention- good or bad. So making a big deal over a bite reinforces the biting. But attention can also be used as a training tool. My cockatoo could care less about food. So treats don't work for training. But praise and attention.... that works. :)

@Danita has a rescue M2. Maybe she has some advice?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My thought on the situation is he's acting from a combination of uncertainty/fear/anger being in a new home and testing you. My goffin will walk all over you if you let him. Not because he's mean- but because he's smart. So although it's hard to get over fear, you have to get over your fear. Because if your 'too knows you're afraid he's going to run all over you. I've only had my 'too for 2-3 years. So I don't have nearly the experience of some of the other cockatoo owners here but I will try to offer some advise. First, I think it's okay to leave him in his cage for a couple days until he calms down a bit. Maybe spend time just sitting with him. Hand feeding him some treats through the cage bars if you can and just reassuring him that he's okay in this new place. Once you get to know each other better, you should be able to see the potential bites coming and hopefully stop them before they happen. My goffin bites my fiance. Almost every time I have either just said to my fiance to stop what he was doing or have been in the process of opening my mouth to say- he's going to bite you- when he's been bit. He doesn't make the effort to "read" him and it definitely back fires on him. One of the worst things you can do is let your cockatoo get too excited. An excited cockatoo is a bitey cockatoo. And it's not aggression in that case- they just get uncontrollably excited. And part of it again, is just learning your 'too's limits. Cockatoos love to play and they love excitement. But I now can see my 'too's breaking point and when I see he's getting too ramped up I will do something to try to calm him down (sometimes I even sing him a soft song and he'll start swaying and calming down). Or if I think it's getting too bad, I walk out of the room. You want to avoid that bite if you can. If you can't, like @JLcribber said, you don't want to over react. It's hard. It hurts. But you don't want to yell at them or make a scene. Cockatoos thrive on attention- good or bad. So making a big deal over a bite reinforces the biting. But attention can also be used as a training tool. My cockatoo could care less about food. So treats don't work for training. But praise and attention.... that works. :)

@Danita has a rescue M2. Maybe she has some advice?
Look how far you and the monster have come. :hug8:

Aley is going to learn like the rest of us. The hard way because there isn't any other way. :D

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Thank you all again. He’s been in his cage all day and I hAve been going up to him and talking to him and cleaned out cage etc. he goes between hissing to asking for pets. I did open the cage and scratched his head a few times. He’s not much into treats so that won’t work in the way of bribery. I have an indoor trainer and was cycling in the living room and watching a show and he was swaying side to side. He looked relaxed like he was copying me. Kinda cute. I could feel my attitude toward him softening a bit, so I guess this watching eachother thing has been good so far. I also bought pvc to make the t-perch and placed it near the cage for him to get used it. So ill be honest...I work in the healthcare field and I honestly dont mind the pain of a bite or blood etc. what really scares me are horror stories of people getting maimed, facials bites, eyes or cockatoos going for jugulars (yea this was an article I read). I know how powerful that beak can be but how many of you have suffered severe injuries ? My anxious brain needs some calming. Google sometimes can be a very scary thing.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Also need recommendations for play stands please?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Horror stories are all myth. They're harmless. :D
Bird Bite Eyebrow (2).jpg

So you need a play stand. I'm a full service cockatooer. Shameless plug for my stuff.

My FB page for ideas and concepts. I'll custom build and ship anything you want.
Cockatoo John's Parrot Paraphernalia

My store for ready made stuff.

What you need and will realize in time is a secure "area" for him. He ain't gonna stay on no stand. Get a BIG stand. :D

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Horror stories are all myth. They're harmless. :D
View attachment 372063

So you need a play stand. I'm a full service cockatooer. Shameless plug for my stuff.

My FB page or ideas and concepts. I'll custom build and ship anything you want.
Cockatoo John's Parrot Paraphernalia

My store for ready made stuff.

What you need and will realize in time is a secure "area" for him. He ain't gonna stay on no stand. Get a BIG stand. :D
You got a good one on your honker too one time. :backout: