• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
About to get my first lovebird, and got a few questions :)

heres a picture of him

Also, were should I put him in the room? I've only got space for in front of the window, but there is a blind there and the top down view of the window area looks like this:

Code:
I dont really have any where else to put him in my room which has a corner. I can put some cardboard or something on one side to make it think its a wall until he's settled in. Got any more tips on the first few weeks of having him? :)

Also, Whenever I've seen lovies in the shop or with friends, I've noticed that sometimes they perch and they close their eyes for a short while then reopen for a millisecond and close again. are they sleepy or is there something else to it?

Also I have a whole load on lentils in my house. During the iranian new year we plant them (not in soil, just in a plate with a wet paper towel until they sprout) and wait for them to grow to about 10-15 cm to put in front of the haft sin. It is pretty easy to make and I was wondering if lovies could eat it? I couldnt really find anything on the web. Also what other things can we grow in home to give to our lovies? Thanks :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Welcome to AA Your loveie is really cute.

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali

Haven't got him yet though. Sunday is the day I'm suppose to drive up north to see him. there is this other pair of lovies though which I have seen at a pet store. Can we unpair them? as I'm just looking to have one and a friend of mine is looking for a lovie to pair up with hers

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
Bad news, decided it will be too much of a hassle driving up there to the north :(

Although found a another pair of lovies closer by who are younger as well. will go and have a look at them probably on monday

hope I can find one soon :(

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Aw, well I hope you have better luck getting the pair. An idea for a new lovie is to wrap the cage part way with a blanket until he gets more comfy with the going ons of your home. Then you can start to uncover more and more of the cage. I use binder clips to keep blankets on cages.

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
Aw, well I hope you have better luck getting the pair. An idea for a new lovie is to wrap the cage part way with a blanket until he gets more comfy with the going ons of your home. Then you can start to uncover more and more of the cage. I use binder clips to keep blankets on cages.
I'll try that, thanks :)

Also this pair that I've seen, A friend of someone who used to breed lovies is looking for a female and I have agreed to separate them and keep the male lovie. apparantly she knows which sex they are by observing them (I know its virtually impossible to sex a lovie without a DNA test). I was wondering if the male lovie can recover from being separated?This is considering the lovies are only 6-12 months old anyway (they were really thin and looked like they recently hatched though :p

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
sorry my bad, they were only 12 weeks old :p
it turned out they were a pair and i ended up having the male one. my friends friend was looking for a female so it worked out great :)

hes currently suppose to fall asleep now. I've covered his cage with a thin blanket, just hoping he doesnt boil in there considering the hot weather we're having. also hoping aircraft noise wont affect him at night; I live on the takeoff path of flights out of heathrow, luckily its away from the prevailing wind so it doesnt happen as often

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
sorry my bad, they were only 12 weeks old :p
it turned out they were a pair and i ended up having the male one. my friends friend was looking for a female so it worked out great :)

hes currently suppose to fall asleep now. I've covered his cage with a thin blanket, just hoping he doesnt boil in there considering the hot weather we're having. also hoping aircraft noise wont affect him at night; I live on the takeoff path of flights out of heathrow, luckily its away from the prevailing wind so it doesnt happen as often

being they are 12 weeks old they were probably clutch mates and it would be good to separate them specially if its male/female

but you are right you can not sex a lovebird by looking at it, and 12 weeks is too young to even do a feel of the pelvic which is normally wrong any way

I had a "pair" they ended up both being males, every one said the one was a female because it did all the "female" things.... well after I gave them paper for their nest box, and neither one was able to properly tear it or tuck it in their rump, i starting thinking they were both boys, they had a nest box for a year and never a single egg EVER and they did a WHOLE lot of mating

I sold each one to two different people ( i didn't need 2 males ) each one called me a few months later and said "your female" was a male I told them both when they bought them I had no idea what they were was told male/ female , then i was told they were both females, but they never did anything for me

and the one lady who looked at them was an "expert" on lovebirds and could just look at them and know what they were, she said both were female :rofl: well they shot her theory right out the window both were males

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
probably the most confusing thing ive ever read on a forum :lol: seems like they had difficulty choosing who they were :p

I'm 95% sure this is a male. firstly I trust me friend who bred lovies before and have also touched checked the pelvic bone. His personality in this short week is also towards a male, only thing I've noticed slightly female is chewing of the newspaper at the bottom of the cage which all of them do anyway (especially considering he was hungry and I wasnt giving him any food for a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.