• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Lovie mom. Would love advice!

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Hello! I just brought home my first ever Lovie tonight. He is currently sleeping and I was just curious if it's normal for them to want to sleep so early after being put in a whole new place. I just feel like he would be watching everything and not wanting to sleep. Anyways, just curious about that, and then I'd love any advice. You could give. I've been researching for a while but I'd love direct answers or tips for a brand new birb Mom. I'm not new to animals at all, I practiclpra have a zoo. And I'm also going into a Vet tech program in the fall. But yeah, any advice is so welcome!

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hello! I just brought home my first ever Lovie tonight. He is currently sleeping and I was just curious if it's normal for them to want to sleep so early after being put in a whole new place. I just feel like he would be watching everything and not wanting to sleep. Anyways, just curious about that, and then I'd love any advice. You could give. I've been researching for a while but I'd love direct answers or tips for a brand new birb Mom. I'm not new to animals at all, I practiclpra have a zoo. And I'm also going into a Vet tech program in the fall. But yeah, any advice is so welcome!
Pretty normal the first few days home, especially with a young baby with black still on its beak. You may even not notice him/her eat or drink. If anything, I would monitor your baby's weight. The baby will lose a few grams which is normal, but keeping an eye on its weight is important at this age. Others may tell you to leave the bird alone and let it adjust to being in the new home. I'm the opposite, i usually man handle my babies for 10 mins at a time and give them plenty of cage time with the door open. What got Loki to bond to me was playing videos of lovebirds chirping which persuaded her to come to me willingly.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea. You picked up a young bird at night time, so it would have been tired naturally :)

When you wake up, start interacting with the bird. Talk to the bird and offer foods.

I also leave the door open like @DoubleTake to interact with the bird.

It will take time to build a relationship. But one day at a time you will get there.
Just remember never to force the bird and never grab him/her out of the cage - things like that will hinder your relationship.

Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on your new family member :loveshower:

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
what time is it and how long has he been home?
I picked him up at 7pm est
So yeah, just wasn't too sure if he should be up and still alert or not. He sat for a bit and my fiancee played bird sounds for him. He kinda seemed interested but never moved from where he perched himself once I got him from carrier to cage .and once we stopped playing the sounds he slowly fell asleep and is still asleep to this moment. It's 4am rn too! LOL he is so precious already and I'm just super excited to start our bond. Thanks for all the advice as well! :swoon:

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Be sure to avoid lighting any scented candles in the room he is in, or have any air fresheners. Happy to help! I Adore Lovies! Good luck being a new bird mom

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm late to this thread, as usual, but my lovebird Aoife was completely untamed when I got her and I honestly thought we'd never have a bond BUT! After many months of patiently working with her, I must have done an excellent job because she thinks I'm her mate hahah I just wanted to jump in and say that it can take a long time for them to trust you but being patient is completely worth it! I also would sit right next to her cage and read to her and would slowly try to get her used to my hands. If they lean away a little stop there and wait for them to relax. Tiny steps. Congrats and I look forward to hearing how your new friend is doing!

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Thanks for the advice. So far he is doing good .I'm able to get him out of the cage. His breeder told me to just get him out of the cage and hold onto him atleast once or so a day for a bit to get him used to me. My next step after he doesn't fly from me is to work on step up. He makes me work for it but once I have him he lets me hold him. But he also will fly away at the first chance. He also will make sure if I'm sleeping too much he wakes me up. And he likes to chat in the morning .the last few days he hasn't been super active. And he is eating ALOT. But he has explored the whole cage and my room. And he enjoys listening to music and other birds chirping.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His breeder told me to just get him out of the cage and hold onto him
?
Like let the bird sit in your hand? Or hold the bird?

Remember, it is important to give your bird choice.
He is young, and usually young birds are easier to build a relationship with if you put the time in :)

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
She told me to just get him out and hold him and just talk to him an pet him. He won't just sit there with me yet. He will instantly chirp and fly away. But then he will stay where he flew to and look at me.

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
But he will get close to the edge of his cage and chirp at me and mess around like he wants the attention, but when I go to give it to him, he walks away and presses up to the cage .

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh yeah, they told me to just grab my bird too, but I could see it stressed her out so I stopped and let her be on her own terms.

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Yeah I can see he gets kinda upset when I do it. I work 24 he weekends every other weekend and this is my on weekend .so I'm gone all day today and tomorrow except to sleep at home. So I got him out this morning beofre I left and he wasn't too happy I got him out. He was pretty vocal that he wanted to go back to the cage so I put him back and let him be for the day.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She told me to just get him out and hold him and just talk to him an pet him. He won't just sit there with me yet. He will instantly chirp and fly away.
they told me to just grab my bird too, but I could see it stressed her out so I stopped and let her be on her own terms.
Yeah I can see he gets kinda upset when I do it.
Yes, don´t force the bird. Go slow, have patience.
On the weekends when you have little time, just sit by the cage and talk to him, offer some treats too. Be sure to leave some foraging activities in the cage while you are away.

When your bird is out of his cage, play with a new toy, something colourful or with different textures, or a bell.
Or eat a bowl of fruit/veg.
Do something to peak his curiosity and he will come over.
Have treats on standby so that whenever he does come over he gets treat and told what a wonderful bird he is ;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Yes, I think you definitely need to step back and let him get used to you /come out on his own terms. Idk why so many people say to just grab them because it doesn't seem to create trust. Like Zara said though, since he's young he will probably adjust to being handled quickly, just make sure to be patient. Socializing with him doesn't have to include handling him right away, just being there and interacting with him is plenty. A lovebird bite is no joke, so painful.

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
He was pretty interested in my cereal the other day. Haha. But he definitely wants treats from my hands. He LOVES millet. And I can't share fruit and veg with him since I'm allergic to fresh produce. But I can hand it to him and he just fine :) so should I just talk to him and offer my hand? And then eventually he will get on my hand?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And Nutriberries are like birdie drugs, Aoife had no interest in them for several weeks but then she realized A. they're awesome and B. They come from me!

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
A lovebird bite is no joke, so painful.
Yeah he kinda pinched me this morning and it wasn't too bad but it was enough for me to realize,
"oh shizz, you're not happy. I'm sorry buddy I'll put you back for the day."
I have a zoo and home so I've been bitten by a multitude of animals‍♀

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Definitely look into clicker and target training.