• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovie doesn't like sleeping in his cage

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
My new 4 month old lovie, Pokka, seems to like his cage, but hates sleeping in it at night. I try to get him in at 8:30 every night as I wake up at 8:00 AM, however, I always have to basically force him to go inside and when he is in, he's always trying to escape. He loves sleeping outside in my room, like on top of the curtains or just on my shoulder, but hates sleeping in his cage. He strangely likes napping in there throughout the day though. I've tried things like getting him tired before going to bed and I always cover his cage at night so he gets darkness. Any advice? Suggestions? Explanation maybe? Anything helps really. xx :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What happens when you don´t cover him?

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
What happens when you don´t cover him?
He does the exact same thing, except it's even worse since it's brighter and he can see me and my surroundings :/

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Maybe make going in the cage a fun experience like he only gets his one favorite treat for going in at night (millet)

TrueBlue

Strolling the yard
My lovies both don't like going back into their cages too. My lure is sunflower seeds. It took a bit of time but my lovies now expects a sunflower seed to be in their food bowl when I put them back into their cage or I get a death stare :grumpy:.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My Peachfaced (Sherbie) fusses at me if I'm late putting her up for the night. :cautious:

My Greencheek (Rupert), on the other hand, has to be lured in with special treats each night. He watches me hide sunflower seeds and millet in his sleep cage, and then I bring him over so he can go hunting for his treats. Once he's busy eating, I close the door slowly.

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
My lovies both don't like going back into their cages too. My lure is sunflower seeds. It took a bit of time but my lovies now expects a sunflower seed to be in their food bowl when I put them back into their cage or I get a death stare :grumpy:.
My Peachfaced (Sherbie) fusses at me if I'm late putting her up for the night. :cautious:

My Greencheek (Rupert), on the other hand, has to be lured in with special treats each night. He watches me hide sunflower seeds and millet in his sleep cage, and then I bring him over so he can go hunting for his treats. Once he's busy eating, I close the door slowly.
Maybe make going in the cage a fun experience like he only gets his one favorite treat for going in at night (millet)
That could work! His favorite treat currently is sunflower seeds, but I like to add a bit in his food, should I remove them from his cage and use it as a permanent treat instead? However, I'm not sure it'd be so effective as he usually is only interested when I handfeed the sunflower seeds or put it in his bowl.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'd withhold those sunflower seeds for sure for occasions where you'll need extra incentive. Maybe practice during the day. Have the bird step up, set them in the cage, and hand them the sunflower seed through the bars, or drop it in the bowl.

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
I'd withhold those sunflower seeds for sure for occasions where you'll need extra incentive. Maybe practice during the day. Have the bird step up, set them in the cage, and hand them the sunflower seed through the bars, or drop it in the bowl.
Got it! Will try tomorrow and post updates, have a great day!! x