• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovebirds are afraid of me

Nabilb

Moving in
Hi all,

I got 2 new lovebirds around 5-6 weeks ago, a male and a female who are now 3 months old. Got them from a pet store when they were 2 months old. Got them a very spacious cage and a ton of different size natural perches and toys. I spent around 2500$ on everything they can ever need. I rotate toys every week to keep them interested and active. Give them healthy food and provide different fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I try to make them as happy as possible.

To train them and get them used to me, I read a book near their cage for 10-15 minutes on a daily basis so they can get used to my voice. I also open their cage and put my hand on a perch without moving it with a treat close by for 10-15 minutes. But they're so afraid of me that they stay in a corner of the cage and don't move a muscle all along. They also go hide as soon as I pass near the cage or I even just open the door to the room they're in.

Once a day I also open their cage and I setup a playground for them near the cage which they play with if I'm not in the room, but when I come in the room they go back to their cage.

I never did anything to harm them, the only times I had to take them out of the cage is when I took them to the vet for a checkup and when I clean their cage. And even then, I'm very careful about how I handle them and even give them a treat after I put them in the smaller cage (while cleaning the bigger one).

Is this normal after 5-6 weeks for them to be this afraid of me still? Also, do you have any advice on what else I can do to get them to start getting used to me?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
new parrot 3.jpg new parrot 3.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The above is what the rescue I help with says "generally' about new birds. But every bird is different and a pair is going to generally take a little longer to come around as they have each other- which having each other is good. I would try target training with them. And seeing if you can hand feed through the cage bars at first- not with your hand in the cage. Also, Barbara Heidenrich's Good Bird Inc. is a good website for information. It sounds like you're doing well with them. Just continue to be patient. :)

Nabilb

Moving in
Thanks for your response Sunnysmom and for the above screen capture, it's very helpful. I saw so many videos and articles saying that birds get trained and attached to their owner after 3-5 days, it got me worried Hahaha!

Well then, I'll continue doing what I'm doing and I'll be patient