• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovebird, need tips!

halcyon

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone! I brought home a baby Fischer lovebird about a month ago. He was hand-fed and raised with his brother until he could eat on his own. I've done a lot of research, read a few books on lovebirds, and read a few forum threads about bringing a new lovebird home but I'm having some issues! He was pretty nervous about my hands at first but was pretty content on my shoulder and chest. He was fine with both me and other people until he got ahold of a mirror. Since then, he's started biting me Hard, fluffing up to make himself bigger, and hissing when I get near. I've covered all the mirrors in my room and covered the reflection of the windows, and started leaving the cage door open so he can come out on his own. I've also started sitting next to the cage reading, singing, talking on the phone, and putting my hand in the cage to get him used to me again. The breeder said he could get more aggressive if you leave him alone in the cage, but I don't want to push his boundaries and traumatize him! Does anyone have any advice?
PS there are pics of him below

Attachments

Duel

Walking the driveway
My fischer had a fear of my hand when I got him and he was 3 months old. What I did to get him over it was when he falls asleep at night I'd take out his food and in the morning fill my hand with food and stick it in there then patiently wait for him to come have breakfast while my hand stayed still. I had already had to get up at 6am at the time so I was able to do it. If you dont get up early (so that he isnt starving) then try holding a single pellet in your fingers and giving it to him. My bird now likes to play with his food and some falls out of the cage so I just pick up a piece and feed it to him whenever I pass by his cage and he gladly takes it now. If you can associate your hand with something he likes (not mirrors though) then he'll slowly warm up to you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Your bird is a Fischeri x Personatus hybrid ;)

You are doing well. Try feeding some millet through the cage bars to help build trust.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
What a very cute, feisty sounding little bird!

I definitely agree with using food as a tool to start the foundation for clear communication with yourself and your bird, at least until it sees your companionship as being positive as well. With new birds, I typically avoid handling their cage too much (other than cleaning, food and water) as they’ve been through a lot of changes and I want them to have some sort of stable safe space where they can begin to build some confidence. I’d start by luring him to the opening of the cage with a treat whenever you open the door. There’s a clear goal and visible reward and this can be used to form a ritual that your bird very clearly understands, is comfortable with, and will likely look forward to. Beyond that, you can start getting your bird accustomed to more and more new experiences, a little at a time.

Good job on adjusting your surroundings to your bird as well! It’s definitely good to set yourself up for success at first with removing these kinds of negative stimuli.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
So far you are doing good :) I got my lovie back in august so shes still new and was similar to your little guy apart from being aggressive with mirrors. Just move at your birds pace and let them control how fast you two move throughout your relationship you should have lots of time to bond. As well as some birds don't like sitting on hands and prefer sitting on your head or shoulder.
One thing you can try to build trust with is if she will take food from your hand or through the bars do some target training so he/she can learn to have good associations with your hands without being too close and forcing too much interaction