• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovebird... Help Please!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Chaseh9464

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chase
Going off of your tiny profile picture, I would think Roseicollis x Personatus (Peach-faced x Black masked).

You say Black cheeked, is there a reason? Looking at him, yea maybe he could be, but Black cheeked lovebirds (Nigrigenis) are not as common as pets and most that have them won´t create hybrids with them unless they´re a backyard breeder.
:smileflower: Cute. First I would ask the aviary guy what kinds of LB are in the aviary & if they have any idea who the peach faced was paired with? Least you can rule out a mutation that was not in the aviary.

Keep using the millet its your friend to making friends. Time & patience.
Hey guys, just got some new info from the breeder. I just found out that Kiyoshi was born in November of 2019 so he’s about 15 months old. His mother looks like a peach faced but he didn’t specify, I’ll leave the picture he sent me below. He said the father is a hybrid luttino with a yellow body and beak and light red on his head and tail feathers. I also asked what he was feeding his birds and he sent a picture of a seed mix that I’ll attach below and also said he sometimes feeds them broccoli, cauliflower, boiled eggs and fruit... so yeah. I’m kind of worried now :/

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, then you have an young adult not a young baby but don't worry. It is what it is but they should have told you they were born Nov 2019 if it was not last year. Saying born in Nov with no year would imply last year 2020 but it is what it is.

The bird has not changed only its age.

With those parents wonder where the black face came from?

I think you are doing well with them.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Way to many sun flower seeds unless he just sprinkled it on top, the corn is a unless filler. My mixes are anywhere from 40-50% plain grass canary seed. It's a good seed to use as it's lower in fat. I don't put sun flower seeds in my mix and use them for treats. A non flighted active lovebird can maybe have 8-10 sun flower seeds a day since it is a very fatty seed.
20190713_151433.jpg

Chaseh9464

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chase
Well, then you have an young adult not a young baby but don't worry. It is what it is but they should have told you they were born Nov 2019 if it was not last year. Saying born in Nov with no year would imply last year 2020 but it is what it is.

The bird has not changed only its age.

With those parents wonder where the black face came from?

I think you are doing well with them.
Yeah I’m thinking he just knew that i wasn’t aware enough to be able to tell if it was 3 months old or 15 months, which is my fault. But i feel kind of blind sided and scared now because i thought the bird only experienced an aviary for a little while and that he’d adjust easily since he was young but knowing he’s been in there for a year untouched or worked with kinda puts me in bad spirits. I’m not giving up but I’m a little nervous now, thanks for the encouragement.

Chaseh9464

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chase
Way to many sun flower seeds unless he just sprinkled it on top, the corn is a unless filler. My mixes are anywhere from 40-50% plain grass canary seed. It's a good seed to use as it's lower in fat. I don't put sun flower seeds in my mix and use them for treats. A non flighted active lovebird can maybe have 8-10 sun flower seeds a day since it is a very fatty seed.
View attachment 373059
I recently watched a YouTube video on making my own human grade seed mix so i think I’ll be doing that, thank You for the advice! That seed mix looks a whole lot better :banghead:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd feel put off too.

Not much you can do? If they have a baby bird would you want to switch at this point?

Really can't say whether a parents raised 3 month is any different than a parent raised 15 mo. Every bird is different. Your bird could be more tamable than a more aggressive 3 month old parent raised. They have had more human experience in the aviary & as long as it was not negative they should be OK. No way to say a 3 month old bird would be any easier as birds have there own personalities. This one might just be fine. You wont have the teen years agnst to deal with & there personality is more true.

It is what it is but I agree on avg a younger bird might be easier but not always. There are no guarantees. This bird is unique & has it own parents & its a hybrid.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Hello and welcome! Lovebirds are awesome. I can only speak from the experience I have with my lovebird which was also my first bird as well. It’s true that it does take time a lot of patience and lots of treats. It’s also very important like others have said to move at a pace that they are comfortable with. When I started out with my lovebird I left the cage door open so she could come and go as she pleased. giving treats like millet is also a great idea and it sounds like you are already off to a really good start seeing as how your bird will sometimes eat millet from your hands. I think you’re doing a lot better than you think you are. I also find it really helpful to approach very slowly especially if I’m approaching with my hands going slower seems to be a lot less scary to them. I would suggest that you keep being patient and don’t push the bird outside of his comfort zone. Soon the bird will learn that you were someone that it can trust. Lovebirds are so amazing, they make the cutest noises and have the sassiest personalities. My lovebird has now formed a bond with everybody in my house. If we try to mimic noises that she makes she will try to make the noise is back to us. They are so funny and they bring so much life and happiness into our world. You made a great choice getting a lovebird. I would suggest also that you keep coming back to Evie in the Avenue in reading lots of posts from different people the more you read the more you’ll learn and it will help you a lot with your own bird.

Chaseh9464

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chase
I'd feel put off too.

Not much you can do? If they have a baby bird would you want to switch at this point?

Really can't say whether a parents raised 3 month is any different than a parent raised 15 mo. Every bird is different. Your bird could be more tamable than a more aggressive 3 month old parent raised. They have had more human experience in the aviary & as long as it was not negative they should be OK. No way to say a 3 month old bird would be any easier as birds have there own personalities. This one might just be fine. You wont have the teen years agnst to deal with & there personality is more true.

It is what it is but I agree on avg a younger bird might be easier but not always. There are no guarantees. This bird is unique & has it own parents & its a hybrid.
yeah I don’t have any interest in returning the bird or exchanging the bird because I feel that would be unfair to him. I am just a little upset that I wasn’t more careful about getting precise information.I guess it’s all a big learning experience and just one more a little hurdle that I’ll have to get over. I’m so glad that I at least have everyone on this forum to talk to, it’s so nice to get reassurance from somebody who knows what they’re doing

Chaseh9464

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chase
Hello and welcome! Lovebirds are awesome. I can only speak from the experience I have with my lovebird which was also my first bird as well. It’s true that it does take time a lot of patience and lots of treats. It’s also very important like others have said to move at a pace that they are comfortable with. When I started out with my lovebird I left the cage door open so she could come and go as she pleased. giving treats like millet is also a great idea and it sounds like you are already off to a really good start seeing as how your bird will sometimes eat millet from your hands. I think you’re doing a lot better than you think you are. I also find it really helpful to approach very slowly especially if I’m approaching with my hands going slower seems to be a lot less scary to them. I would suggest that you keep being patient and don’t push the bird outside of his comfort zone. Soon the bird will learn that you were someone that it can trust. Lovebirds are so amazing, they make the cutest noises and have the sassiest personalities. My lovebird has now formed a bond with everybody in my house. If we try to mimic noises that she makes she will try to make the noise is back to us. They are so funny and they bring so much life and happiness into our world. You made a great choice getting a lovebird. I would suggest also that you keep coming back to Evie in the Avenue in reading lots of posts from different people the more you read the more you’ll learn and it will help you a lot with your own bird.
Thank you so much for everything you had to say. I’ve been starting to think that im doing everything wrong and sometimes feel like I’m doing more harm than good to the bird by trying to force him to like me, but i just need to be more patient and understanding with the bird, especially now knowing that it’s a young adult. Again, thank for the encouragement:) hearing about how goofy and cute lovebirds can be when they trust you makes it impossible to give up :)

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Thank you so much for everything you had to say. I’ve been starting to think that im doing everything wrong and sometimes feel like I’m doing more harm than good to the bird by trying to force him to like me, but i just need to be more patient and understanding with the bird, especially now knowing that it’s a young adult. Again, thank for the encouragement:) hearing about how goofy and cute lovebirds can be when they trust you makes it impossible to give up :)
Keep up the hard work and love, they are totally worth it! Mine will now preen my face like crazy, it’s crazy cute.

ive always wanted a greenwing macaw and I still do but after now having my lovebird, I can’t imagine my life without her. I must always have a lovebird in my life.

i got mine in late September of 2020 and she has come a LONG way. I feel like she may have been handled in a less than pleasant way as a baby because she has been scared of hands since I got her and I now have a baby green cheek that came from a much better breeder that acts totally different as far as trust goes. The point is she came a long way in a short period of time when you consider how scared she was and had no trust in people at all. These little creatures are resilient once they have love and a dedicated care taker. Trust and respect with these guys is everything.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I rescued a feisty female lovebird at age 2 1/2. Sure she was scared at first, but she came to trust me over time. My apt was quiet and peaceful, too, so she wouldn't stress. She would sit on my arm or leg, even in the beginning, but you could tell she was anxious. Your bird will settle down with regular interaction. My bird was out flying around for years, now she's just too old and can't see or fly well. Your bird will bond to you. And it sounds like you have a male bird, since you haven't mentioned feistiness. lol.
You will love lovebirds. They will steal your heart.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
And by way, I feed my bird Harrison's lifetime fine pellets. She's been healthy ever since. With others veggies, too. And cooked quinoa. That's her favorite. But it's nice to always have the pellets in there. She's almost 19 years old.