• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovebird doesn't trust me yet, but loves my head

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
So I've just brought home a new peach-faced lovebird named Pokka yesterday, and he is still very scared of me, but loves to be let out of his cage. Pokka loves flying around my room when I'm just working, but he doesn't trust me in general yet, however, he seems to love calmly sitting on my head, and isn't scared whatsoever of it. He's still very much scared of my hand and fingers, is this normal behavior? Is this progress or should it not be tolerated? Have a great day :) xx

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many birds are more than happy to perch on your head or shoulder when they refuse to let hands near them.... heads can’t and don’t grab birds but hands do! You’ll have to earn your little guys trust and even then sometimes the hands still aren’t trusted fully.

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Ah I see, I assume this behavior is somewhat good progress then? I'll keep letting him sit there, thank you for the help Shezburg! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jade! 1.welcome signs.gif

I remember my first day with Aldora, she was straight up there sitting on my head. Even fell asleep up there. I allowed her to sit on my head and shoulders, she was always calm and never bit or anything like that there so it was ok :)

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Welcome to the Avenue Jade! View attachment 374464

I remember my first day with Aldora, she was straight up there sitting on my head. Even fell asleep up there. I allowed her to sit on my head and shoulders, she was always calm and never bit or anything like that there so it was ok :)
Thank you Zara, glad to be here!
He actually just did his first step up with me, so excited to bond with him. :)

TrueBlue

Strolling the yard
My baby lovie always aims to land on my head. And I'm ok with that. But my other lovie then follows because of jealousy. So it's more of an annoyance when when you constantly have 2 birds flying straight for your head :banghead:.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So it's more of an annoyance when when you constantly have 2 birds flying straight for your head :banghead:.
:lol: wanna trade for my four soggy birds? There would be 5 but they wouldn't let Sydney up there so he was on my shoulder.
Screenshot_20210225_154328.jpg

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
:lol: wanna trade for my four soggy birds? There would be 5 but they wouldn't let Sydney up there so he was on my shoulder.
View attachment 374610
My baby lovie always aims to land on my head. And I'm ok with that. But my other lovie then follows because of jealousy. So it's more of an annoyance when when you constantly have 2 birds flying straight for your head :banghead:.
Ahh! Adorable! :heart: