• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Love mom

FarmGirl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Heather Workman
Hi I'm Heather, I'm 31, Living for a short time in Az and moving back to Tn in a little while to be close to my father. My husband is from Gilbert, Az and we had moved here to go to college and be around his dad and sisters, too.
My baby is Rio we think it is about 6.5 weeks old. I call it a him, might be a she, but for now, he's a he lol. He is a peach/rosey faced lovebird I think a sea green color. He was dying on the ground about 3 weeks ago. I was walking early morning in a park in Tempe, Az when I saw him there and I didn't think, I just scooped him up and carried him back. Nursed him back to what I think is healthy or well better than he was.
Right now he's a little feisty but has bonded to me, I believe. I've never hand raised birds. I have had a few, a parakeet, and 2 cocktails as a younger child , preteen. So I kinda know a little about birds, I have researched a whole lot but still want to learn more.
Now he has lost almost all the little gray baby feathers, and can fly a little now. He likes ro stay on my head. He's not eating his baby food as much but is eating seed, millet and drinking water as well. He is biting a bit more and harder. I think it's mainly to show he wants to do something different. A lot of the times it's when he has to go back in his cage or my husband has to help me when I'm feeding cleaning him. I will post some pics of him in comments( for some reason i cant get my phone to attach photos) and maybe y'all can give info that I may not know, tips, tricks, what to look out for, just whatever advice you think I need to know. (and please excuse me in some of the pics I look a horrible mess but those 5am feedings are just like a human newborn lol ) I wouldn't change a thing though I have bonded with him too :) Thanks in advance Nice to meet yall!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Hey! Welcome to the avenue! :welcomeavenue: Thank you so much for saving that little lovie's life!! This is a site that I love; its so helpful for when you are raising baby lovebirds! Hand Feeding Baby Lovebirds From Day 1
I would bet that since he is 6.5 weeks old (roughly) he probably doesn't need such an early feeding. Of course, every bird is different, but I think you might be able to change that to a more reasonable/convenient time.

Congrats on your new baby though! And we would love to see pictures, please!:):cngrt5:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Thanks for saving that lovie! He's lucky to have you! Welcome to the forum! :)

Jogging around the block
Glad you saved the lil sweetie , Welcome to the Avenue!
Shezbug has already tagged Zara, she's good with lovebirds
I have concerns for his diet, lovebirds need more than seeds as their diet and I don't think it's a good thing if he's biting, but Zara should be able to give you the best info :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Heather! 1.welcome signs.gif

Sounds like you are doing well if you´ve been taking care of him for a few weeks at this point :)
If you post a pic of when you found him and now, I can give you my guess on age. If the bird is 6.5 weeks, then he is in the weaning window. So that´s good.
Each feeding of formula should be 10% of his body weight (weigh him in the morning before food), if he´s taking less than half for a few days, then drop one feeding.
They should be dropped in this pattern,
AM, day, day, PM
AM, day, PM
AM, PM
PM - it´s important that this night feed is the last feed, and keep doing it until he´s clearly rejecting formula (eating less than half) for a good week.

When feeding formula, your bird will be more receptive to new foods right after the formula, so clean him up then offer him the adult foods you wish for him to try. Veggies, pellets, maybe sprouts, mash, anything you would like him to eat when he´s older. Always introduce adult foods after the formula but also throughout the day

I think my biggest piece of advice would be to take him to the vet once he´s weaned to have a checkup and to assure he´s illness/disease free. I´ve read there are many wild lovebirds in Arizona with diseases. Have your bird tested for polyoma, psittacosis and PBFD.

Are there any specific questions you have?

FarmGirl

Real Name
Heather Workman
Sorry for the late reply been out and about doing lots of things with my little one.i tried to upload the pics but am having difficulty. I am trying to introduce new foods to Rio but it only seems to try a few bites. I gave it some edamame? (Sp) cooked soy beans and it does like a little pb and no salt crackers. But I mush it up for it. I also let it try the mesquite beans that its other wild cousins have been eating, and a few bits of apples.it love sunflower seeds and what I call crack millet from the bird store I been going to. We are completely off formula and seems to be ok. Its been taking baths in its little bath dish thing my husband got it. It loves singing and playing. Still biting us though. I think sometimes its Rio's way of telling me to pay attention to it or that it wants to eat and drink in its cage or its just in a bad mood. I tried a new cage for it a bigger one it didn't like it really. Was so grouchy the next day put it in the tiny cage and was very content. Rio does try and not poop on my head or body if it can help it so I have learned it's body language telling me it has to go. It did this on its on. Had it DNA tested and will know something hopefully next week if Rio is a He or she. Rio loves rock music apparently and outlaw country. Can mimic a few whistles and sounds and copys the pitches of a few repeated words we say to it. Like its name and stuff. Very smart little thing. Its lost all its grey feathers on the visible feathers and its trying to preen i think its other little gray ones underneath it. It has almost lost all its black on its beak. Had its first grooming about 2 weeks ago. Rides on my head and shoulders loves its little den in my cleavage lol something new every day it seems with Rio. I love it so dearly. I read somewhere also that you have to tuck them in every night so we do that. Kiss it goodnight and tell it I love you. This is one of its recent pics it is finally letting me upload them I think.

Attachments

FarmGirl

Real Name
Heather Workman
These are the other day too after it dried some from taking a bath and when it took a bath you can also see where it bites me on my hands.. :/ 20210722_101236.jpg 20210722_101236.jpg 20210722_101234.jpg 20210722_101116.jpg 20210722_101056.jpg 20210722_095908.jpg

FarmGirl

Real Name
Heather Workman
When I i first found it 20210616_181906_HDR.jpg 20210616_181912_HDR.jpg 20210616_181920_HDR.jpg

FarmGirl

Real Name
Heather Workman
Randoms of My little lovie poo Rio with me and hubby out and about 20210717_200156.jpg 20210717_200206.jpg 20210717_200153.jpg 20210712_162035.jpg 20210712_162035.jpg 20210706_185016.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Extremely cute little bird! :swoon:

Did you manage to get them tested for diseases?

From what you are saying, Rio could likely be female. I´d be interested to hear the results! :bliss:

FarmGirl

Real Name
Heather Workman
Not yet I am still looking to find a vet that knows about them here... and I have to find one for when I move home to TN. I think they aren't understand that even though Rio's was born wild they are my pet and everywhere I call say to take it to a wildlife rescue. I am still waiting to here back from the test results for Rio if boy or girl I am also pregnant so I may just have Rio's gender reveal and the baby's at the same time haha 20210727_130254.jpg 20210727_130311.jpg

Attachments