• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New juvie rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
A few months ago we lost one of our pair of female rats. Rose was a blue hooded rat I got with Sophia from Petsmart. She never really gained weight and was very skinny the whole time we had her. Angela (Ratsncorns) advised us to pick up a pair of juvenile rats to keep Sophia company, because she seemed lonely. On Tuesday we went to our local herp store and brought home Ruby, a champagne hood and Star, a blue hood. Both are dumbos!!

Here are some pics of the babies with Sophia. They kept trying to nurse on her! The babies are weaned, though, and eating fine on their own.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
OH MY GOSH! They are freakin ADORABLE! I love rats, and have always wanted a Dumbo!

I had one a few years ago, named Waffles! I just found an old memory card that has some lost pics of him on it!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I love the Champagne, love red eyes :D :heart:

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
We were really glad to get them. Our reptile supplier raises pet rats but isn't particularly attached to them. Tara saw some dumbo adults of large size being sold as feeders once. I guess if they don't sell as pets...

So now I am being haunted by the little black hood boy we didn't take....

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
I'm a sucker for blond hooded rats. We had a couple of girls at the pet spa until the bird cages took over the room. They are currently being loved by a little girl who was thrilled to get them.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I really like rats, but not the dumbos so much. They just look odd to me. :) I love the solid colored guys and hooded ones though.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Cute, cute, cute! Blue rats tend to be genetically weak because of all the inbreeding that is done to produce enough to stock the pet stores, because so many people like them.

I do breed rats myself to feed my snakes, but I always try to place a few in pet homes as well, whenever my vet refers people to me. I just give them to people, and don't sell them. And my breeders are spoiled rotten and taken out often for snuggle times!

Status
Not open for further replies.