• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Indian Ringneck Owner

Hes

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here! I'm glad I found this website where all of us bird lovers can be a part of a community that loves and respects birds!

I just recently got my new Indian Ringneck baby. She is a blue female, her name is Bubbles. She was hand fed and the employee informed me that she was hatched sometime in late April.

I have just a couple of questions and concerns about my new feathered friend. When I brought her home exactly one week ago, she cried to me a lot on the first day; she wanted me to hand feed her. By the second day she realized that I was not going to hand feed her so she resumed normal bird activities. She explored my house, I gave her treats, I was even able to introduce some fruits and veggies to her. Currently, I am also able to play with her (she loves playing with balls).

My concern is that whenever Bubbles sees my mom and sister she seems to regress back to a baby phase. When she sees my sister, ESPECIALLY when my sister talks to her, she immediately starts to cry again. And she does not stop crying until I basically remove her from my sister. The cries can get pretty loud and she starts shaking and bobbing her head. This also happens with my mom, but it is definitely not as extreme. When they handle her, they are unable to play with her, or even feed her anything like seeds or fruits/veggies because all she does is cry.

I find this behavior interesting because when she is in her cage, out of sight from my sister or mom, she eats the food I have given her normally. I called the store after 3 days of this behavior and even the employee found it strange because they said that she has been off of baby food for about a month now.

What I would like to know is: why is she displaying this behavior only with certain members of my family? Is it normal for her to still want baby food even though she has been off of it for a month? Is it also bad that she does not cry out for me like she does for my mom, or especially my sister? Does that mean she has bonded/or likes them more than she likes me? I'll admit I get pretty jealous whenever my sister passes by and she lunges at her just to cry to her.

Sorry for the many questions. I've had parrots in the past, but I was really young. And I currently have a 1 year old albino budgie named Pip, but everything has gone so smoothly with him. This time around is very different.

Please advise,
Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Hes :)

From what you said about the crying, especially on the first day, sounds like she could have regressed. Handfeeding her formula would have helped provide comfort.

Don´t be jelous of your family or worry over who Bubbles bonds with. You are a family so the bird will likely choose someone to be her favourite person and if that is not you, you´ll just have to accept that and be happy that she is happy.

If you see her crying like that, you could try feeding her some cooked, mashed sweet potato (warm) on a spoon.

Congratulations on your new addition to the family :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet5: & :welcomeavenue:

I'm sorry that I have no experience w/ baby birds & not IRN's. I did want to say hello & welcome you, hopefully this will bump this to the top & get you some help. I just read that this member may be able to help in the ring neck area @Monica

I'm also sorry about the crying baby. It breaks my heart to hear a sad bird. I inherited my guy Buddy. He cries sometimes & after my Dad passed on Buddy was greiving & would cry off & on. I can't stand it! Good luck!

:grouphug3: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree in that she could have regressed some, even though she's been weaned. Losing their home and going to a strange place can cause some chicks to regress and "need" comfort feedings. If she's maintaining a healthy weight, she may not need comfort feedings, however it can certainly help her feel more relaxed as long as the comfort feedings don't continue into adult-hood. (i.e. feeding warm foods by hand/spoon on a frequent basis) If I had her, I probably would give those feedings to her and see how she does.

As far as why your mom and sister especially? Maybe they remind her of the human who hand raised her?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree in that she could have regressed some, even though she's been weaned. Losing their home and going to a strange place can cause some chicks to regress and "need" comfort feedings. If she's maintaining a healthy weight, she may not need comfort feedings, however it can certainly help her feel more relaxed as long as the comfort feedings don't continue into adult-hood. (i.e. feeding warm foods by hand/spoon on a frequent basis) If I had her, I probably would give those feedings to her and see how she does.

As far as why your mom and sister especially? Maybe they remind her of the human who hand raised her?
Thank you for popping by & helping out!