• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New HVAC

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Replacing my 1988 HVAC system and was advised by the tech to remove the birds from the house during unit testing after install.

Has anyone had a new unit installed?

How long did you keep the birds out of the house?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is the HVAC system forced air gas? If so, the burner will need to run for a while to burn off coatings from the manufacturing process.

If it's a multi-stage unit, ensure it's run on all stages (low/high, or low/medium/high).
How long did you keep the birds out of the house?
The duration I would suggest is the test duration (obviously) plus however long it takes for you to do a complete air change in the entire home (which depends on how many windows you can open, and how much of a breeze there is that day). Regarding test duration, I would ask them to at least double the burn-in phase over whatever they normally do since there are birds in the house. You don't want a half-baked test now when the birds will be out of the house and the windows can be easily opened, and discover on the first chilly autumn day that the smell requires another evacuation and air-out.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that, @flyzipper. I’ll try to find out based on the manufacturer of the new system.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would always err on the side of more is better. Never worth taking a chance.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that
It's gas if you pay a gas/propane bill and it's significantly higher in the winter months (indicating it's used for more than a gas range, water heater, or clothes drier).
It could be oil if you have a fuel-oil tank that requires a tanker truck to come fill it, along with a fuel-oil bill.

If you have vents in each room of your home that blow conditioned (warmed or cooled) air from a central furnace, then it's forced air (blower plus duct system for distribution).

You can also determine the nature of your setup with the make and model of your current unit unless you're doing a complete system retrofit.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s forced air gas. I spoke with a technician from the service company, and he said that they run it for 10 minutes if the thermostat allows for that in this heat. I plan to run it for 30 minutes after they leave and then run just the fan for an hour.

My house is roughly 2700 sq ft. How long do you think it will take the air to be replaced a sufficient number of times with both the upstairs and downstairs units’ fans blowing?

If I use box fans, too, do I point them in or out?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I wouldn't be happy with 10 minutes either -- 60 sounds better and you can always use your nose to guide you.
My house is roughly 2700 sq ft. How long do you think it will take the air to be replaced a sufficient number of times
2700 sq ft with 8 ft ceilings is 21,600 cu ft, so the rate at which that can be changed would be based on the CFM of your fans.

If you have an externally vented range hood for example, those are usually sized at 400 cfm for an electric range, so 21,600 cu ft / 400 cfm = 54 minutes (I'd probably double that because they aren't perfectly efficient). If you have externally vented bathroom fans, those can also be run and their CFM rating would further increase the air changes per hour.

The benefit of running your HVAC fan during the air-out is that it will help in the mixing of fresh and stale air which might otherwise get trapped in rooms without much air flow.

If I use box fans, too, do I point them in or out?
If you have a pair, point one blowing out and the other blowing in and place them in windows that are on opposite sides of the house (as a bonus, observe the outdoor wind direction and work with that rather than against it). Since those fans aren't sealed in the window openings, they won't be as efficient as they could (still fine though), but that will help bring in fresh air at the same rate stale air is exhausted. In terms of a CFM calculation for these units, you'd only use the rated CFM for a single unit rather than doubling the rate with 2.

During the air-out process, I would leave a few times for a long enough period to overcome smell adaptation -- your nose will be far more sensitive to any residual smells in the home upon your return.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@flyzipper It is 95F here already, and they are just now firing up the new furnace. I may have to run it for 30 minutes but in 10 minute increments after they leave. Is it possible to set a thermostat to 100? I hear my smoke alarms going off! Lol!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Oh, I never considered that -- mine can only be turned up to 32C or 90F.

While your installer is still there, they should be able to show you how to call for heat by jumpering a pair of wires (easier and safer than it sounds once you see how it's done).

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could always pack ice packs around the thermostat?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I could always pack ice packs around the thermostat?
Smart.
Yes, lowering the air temp right at the thermostat would work for sure -- just needs to be below the setpoint the thermostat is calling for.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
HVAC installers ran the heat for 15 minutes. I’m going to run it for another 30 if possible. If I can’t get it to do that, I may wait until the fall to move the boys outside again and run it for an hour. Then air put the house. I’m still going to air out the house windows open for a good hour or two after they leave.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m airing out the house now, but it is too hot outside to leave them out here for too much longer. Juju is starting to pant, so I’ve put a Kale bath out for the budgies. I’m misting them all every 5 to 10 minutes. They have fans pointed directly at them. I’m letting it air for another 45 minutes with a pretty good breeze and cross ventilation. Both upstairs and downstairs fans running on the hvac units. P s, I’ll do a thorough burn with them out of the house in October.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The boys and I are on the back porch while I do a proper burn off of the new furnace and burn the dust off the other unit upstairs. I’m letting them run with windows open for an hour, then I’m going to let the fans run for another 2. Windows open, fans blowing in fresh air from outside.

The wheelchair ramp I purchased works like a charm to get them outside in their cages!