• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Home Owners

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My partner and I have successfully bought a house. We have big plans for the birds! I will keep you posted on developments. We move in 15 April!

Mostly I am overwhelmed with happiness! Finally a place to call ours!

Last edited:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:yah:
:cngrt5:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Best thing you can do for yourself and your family. I didn't do it for years because we couldn't buy a house cheaper per month than our rent was and it had a large yard, long driveway, and small garage.
Well landlord finally got greedy, then gave us a no cause eviction so we found this house that was bigger and cheaper per month plus the interest deduction so much happier now and we bought just as interest rates and the market hit bottom
Now you are paying yourself and the mortgage will slowly go down as you pay it off. You can punch holes in the wall, put a big TV up, whatever you want :bliss:I highly suggest having a shed built if you don't have storage space and a place to work.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:bounce4: :bounce4::cheer::cheer::cheer::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower:
It's amazing to have your own place!!!
Wishing you every happiness and filling your home with amazing memories

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations!! How exciting :starshower1:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well landlord finally got greedy, then gave us a no cause eviction
This is more or less what started our quest too. Back in June we got a notice for vacant tenancy. We had no idea why! We started searching for either a house of our own or another rental, but didn't get the results we needed. The landlord then came back to us saying, well we will let you stay after all, but you need to pay xxx, which was 20% more than our normal rent at the time. There is a rental crisis in my area, so we had no choice but to accept their offer. They, clearly, are exploiting the situation and it was a power play to jack our rent up. QLD has poor protection for renters. Ever since that moment I have had this feeling like where I am living isn't home, it isn't safe. They can come in and just snap away your feeling of safety. They also started popping over way more than is typical for all kinds of nonsense. We haven't gone 3 weeks without them sending someone here for various reasons. Buying a house is so much! Like finally I don't need to beg for permission to hang a picture. The only redeeming thing this landlord did was allow us to adopt Darcy (the duck), however it didn't redeem them that much. I can't wait to get out of here and into our house in April. :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is more or less what started our quest too. Back in June we got a notice for vacant tenancy. We had no idea why! We started searching for either a house of our own or another rental, but didn't get the results we needed. The landlord then came back to us saying, well we will let you stay after all, but you need to pay xxx, which was 20% more than our normal rent at the time. There is a rental crisis in my area, so we had no choice but to accept their offer. They, clearly, are exploiting the situation and it was a power play to jack our rent up. QLD has poor protection for renters. Ever since that moment I have had this feeling like where I am living isn't home, it isn't safe. They can come in and just snap away your feeling of safety. They also started popping over way more than is typical for all kinds of nonsense. We haven't gone 3 weeks without them sending someone here for various reasons. Buying a house is so much! Like finally I don't need to beg for permission to hang a picture. The only redeeming thing this landlord did was allow us to adopt Darcy (the duck), however it didn't redeem them that much. I can't wait to get out of here and into our house in April. :D
This rent upping and housing shortage is happening everywhere here now- it is absolutely disgusting that our powers who be has allowed this to happen as it has been increasing for a few years but covid saw a huge change in many norms here. Even the towns with less than a 1000 people in them that always had empty houses or holiday houses on every street are filled up and charging way more than they were before covid hit, many have allowed friends or family to camp in caravans in backyards too. There are tent cities popping up everywhere and now many caravan parks are also piffing people out as many have had their regulations or permits on allowing people to live there altered by local councils or state laws and the rent has gone up so high people are nearly giving their vans/cabins away as they can not afford the site rental nor the 20k or more to move the non towable van/cabin.

I know there are many homeless families in every state now and the rental houses that used to be avail are now horrid airbnb places sitting empty for many months every year. We have seen an increase in homeless and transient people in our more remote areas as they are safer areas and no one hassles the tent/car people to move on so they do not end up paying fines for whatever the law can find to charge them with in our areas.

It is a disgrace what our country has become in regards to people having homes and enough money to buy simple necessities.

I am so happy for you that you no longer can be held to ransom by the changes that are becoming the every day normal thing here. It is a much better feeling knowing you do not have to be worried about actually living normally and comfortably in your home.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know there are many homeless families in every state now and the rental houses that used to be avail are now horrid airbnb places sitting empty for many months every year. We have seen an increase in homeless and transient people in our more remote areas as they are safer areas and no one hassles the tent/car people to move on so they do not end up paying fines for whatever the law can find to charge them with in our areas.

It is a disgrace what our country has become in regards to people having homes and enough money to buy simple necessities.
Same on the coast! and I agree! It is a disgrace.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Congratulations :heart: can’t wait to see your new house and plans for your birds

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to see what the duckies area will be like when you are finished :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can relate to your story! My landlord hired a new property manager, who was a jerk, raised the rent, made us rehome our rats, and then was doing random inspections. It didn't feel like our home anymore either. We also have a rental crisis here, and with pets it's almost impossible to find a place to rent. We took advantage of low mortgage rates and bought a place that cost us less per month than our new rent would have cost.

We've been here 2 years next month :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
This rent upping and housing shortage is happening everywhere here now- it is absolutely disgusting that our powers who be has allowed this to happen as it has been increasing for a few years but covid saw a huge change in many norms here. Even the towns with less than a 1000 people in them that always had empty houses or holiday houses on every street are filled up and charging way more than they were before covid hit, many have allowed friends or family to camp in caravans in backyards too. There are tent cities popping up everywhere and now many caravan parks are also piffing people out as many have had their regulations or permits on allowing people to live there altered by local councils or state laws and the rent has gone up so high people are nearly giving their vans/cabins away as they can not afford the site rental nor the 20k or more to move the non towable van/cabin.

I am so happy for you that you no longer can be held to ransom by the changes that are becoming the every day normal thing here. It is a much better feeling knowing you do not have to be worried about actually living normally and comfortably in your home.
The same thing is happening in most of the USA too and it's bad in the Portland area of Oregon where we live. Even back in 2012 rent was getting stupid expensive, they want first and last month up front so it's like buying a house without the tax deduction for the interest. We decided it was no longer worth renting seeing how there was no way we could find a house as cheap as our HAD been before he hired a property manager that raised it from 600 to 900 a month take it or get out, then 3 years later a no cause eviction. House prices had tanked and interest rates were the lowest they had ever been in recent times. Luckily our credit was good enough, there were very good first time buyer programs, and you were allowed to use up to 10k of your retirement plan money to buy a house so we did, and we told everyone else that would listen to buy now if you can, moneys cheap and you'll pay less then rent for a better house. I'm upset they started jacking up interest rates again and house prices have also rebounded so normal families are getting priced out again. The big corporations buy up houses and rent them out for a tidy profit and the little guys can no longer afford to buy them or rent them.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Congrats!! That's so exciting!!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name