• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Home for TD

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I am looking to buy a new cage for TD. It's been three years since I got his "big cage" when we left the 26' RV and so happily moved into this 33' RV. How our feelings about this RV have changed!

The cage we have now is the largest we can fit given our life style and RV home. It's the Prevue model #25217.

439501301_20180518190151779.jpg

It's been a good cage though I do wish it had a few more horizontal bars and an access door on the back wall. One thing that suited our purposes and that is important to have in our next one is the ability to remove the grate and allow TD to just have the pull out tray or floor as the bottom of his habitat. TD has always had trouble walking on a grate.

If any one of you, especially you humans owned by a cockatiel, has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your title scared me!!!!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Your title scared me!!!!
Sorry @Clueless and @CeciliaZ ! Though it's true I have at times wondered if our way of living is really the best thing for TD. With all the breakdowns in the excessive heat, the fumes in the coach issues we've been struggling with, etc. A couple of times I really considered finding him a more bird suited home. I, selfishly, just can't bear the thought of life without him.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am looking to buy a new cage for TD. It's been three years since I got his "big cage" when we left the 26' RV and so happily moved into this 33' RV. How our feelings about this RV have changed!

The cage we have now is the largest we can fit given our life style and RV home. It's the Prevue model #25217.

View attachment 389741

It's been a good cage though I do wish it had a few more horizontal bars and an access door on the back wall. One thing that suited our purposes and that is important to have in our next one is the ability to remove the grate and allow TD to just have the pull out tray or floor as the bottom of his habitat. TD has always had trouble walking on a grate.

If any one of you, especially you humans owned by a cockatiel, has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!
Bailey has a cage that is similar to that size and shape except the door opens vertically. Bailey loves his cage. I have a larger one in the room (the big boy cage) but he refuses to go to the larger cage. TD will be fine.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Bailey has a cage that is similar to that size and shape except the door opens vertically. Bailey loves his cage. I have a larger one in the room (the big boy cage) but he refuses to go to the larger cage. TD will be fine.
TD loves his cage, too, but some of the coating is coming off now, so I think it's time for a new one.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
One thing that suited our purposes and that is important to have in our next one is the ability to remove the grate and allow TD to just have the pull out tray or floor as the bottom of his habitat. TD has always had trouble walking on a grate.
I don't have any suggestions about suitable cages, but I just put newspaper on top of the grate. I do that on the top of their cages, too so they have something solid to walk on.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
If he loves his cage, then get another one like it if works for you.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
One of our cages has all vertical bars, I got past that and made ‘steps’ in it by using popsicle sticks and weaving them through the bars where I wanted them. Advantage is you can change them around making new ’stairways’ as well as something to chew on. it’s in a camping cage that stays in the tent trailer…

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
One of our cages has all vertical bars, I got past that and made ‘steps’ in it by using popsicle sticks and weaving them through the bars where I wanted them. Advantage is you can change them around making new ’stairways’ as well as something to chew on. it’s in a camping cage that stays in the tent trailer…
Could we see a picture please.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
We ve had to cancel both our trips so far this summer so the cage was still in the locker, have been getting Bailey use to it so he doesn’t freak out the first time he goes in it, so needs a cleaning before we hopefully get to go in September…..

it just helps him get around without sliding down all the time….hope that helps…:)

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That is an excellent idea.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I just put newspaper on top of the grate
I currently use paper towels on the floor of the cage. Mine has a deep base and TD likes to travel around the floor (all you can see is his crest going around like a shark's fin) then pop up and whistle "pop goes the weasel". If you don't react, he yells "see me?"

If he loves his cage, then get another one like it if works for you.
There's a few things I'd change. I'm still waiting for a cage with slide outs. Like an RV.

made ‘steps’ in it by using popsicle sticks
Great idea! I'm gonna use it. Thanks! It's a win/win as I'll get to eat the popsicles!

We ve had to cancel both our trips
I'm sorry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have been looking for a new cage for Rosie and have been having a tough time too. All the cages that are similar in size to what yours and are portable, seem to have vertical bars. Rosie needs at least 2 sides of horizontal bars. I'm not sure why it's so hard to find cages like that with both. Let me know if you find a new cage and I'll let you know what I find. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
This cage is kind of pricey but I have it for one of my cockatiels. The other cockatiel has the A&E version which is a little cheaper but has vertical bars but does have horizontal reinforcement. It is a little larger so may not work for you. I believe you can get other brands on Amazon but not positive. Screenshot_20210823-181753_Chrome.jpg