• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Here!

CarryOn357

Moving in
Hello! I am a teen from the U.S. who's hoping to find out more about keeping birds as companions! Currently I have a Standard Poodle (Koda, 4yo), Sheltie/Aussie mix (Max, 14-15yo), and three cats (Whiskey Ginger, Delilah, and Black Kitty), and actively participate in the fishkeeping hobby. While I have never had a pet bird myself, my mother grew up with a double yellow-headed Amazon and a Quaker.

Hoping to learn more through the community!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome! You came to the right place! Something that will probably come up a lot on the forum is asking if your parents are in board to help with the parrot. You are in an amazing time of your life with lots of transitions and new experiences ahead. If your parents (and siblings if you have them) are able to help out during times when you are more distracted with school/college and starting your life as a young adult, that will be extremely helpful. A bird is a longterm commitment. The lifespan for the smaller ones is about the same as a dog or cat, but the larger ones can live up to 60+ years. This assumes of course that they make it past 4 years old, the average lifespan of pet birds due to accidents involving dogs, cats, windows and doors. I'm not trying to discourage you! From what you wrote, you are a responsible and caring young person. And I appreciate that you are thinking it through carefully and getting good information before you jump into life with a bird. We are here to support you as you decide on which direction to go! :joyful:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

CarryOn357

Moving in
Welcome! You came to the right place! Something that will probably come up a lot on the forum is asking if your parents are in board to help with the parrot. You are in an amazing time of your life with lots of transitions and new experiences ahead. If your parents (and siblings if you have them) are able to help out during times when you are more distracted with school/college and starting your life as a young adult, that will be extremely helpful. A bird is a longterm commitment. The lifespan for the smaller ones is about the same as a dog or cat, but the larger ones can live up to 60+ years. This assumes of course that they make it past 4 years old, the average lifespan of pet birds due to accidents involving dogs, cats, windows and doors. I'm not trying to discourage you! From what you wrote, you are a responsible and caring young person. And I appreciate that you are thinking it through carefully and getting good information before you jump into life with a bird. We are here to support you as you decide on which direction to go! :joyful:
I really like how forthcoming you are---it's not discouraging, it's simply the truth!
Currently I am looking into birds more so out of curiosity than anything else, as I don't know when exactly would be the best time to welcome a feathery toddler into my life. I definitely agree with you on the transitions portion--two years into high school, and the amount that my life has changed (and will likely continue to) is astounding! I do have one sibling, a little brother. He's definitely on the younger side (he's turning 11 this summer), so I don't know how much he would be able to contribute.
With the current state of life, I may choose to care for a bird down the road. I definitely want to make sure I am able to provide the necessary safety, enrichment, attention, and care needed, but realistically know that right now may not be the best time to add another "buddy" into my life (albeit one with special needs and considerations, such as fragrances, Teflon, fans, drafts, etc.) :tup:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I really like how forthcoming you are---it's not discouraging, it's simply the truth!
Currently I am looking into birds more so out of curiosity than anything else, as I don't know when exactly would be the best time to welcome a feathery toddler into my life. I definitely agree with you on the transitions portion--two years into high school, and the amount that my life has changed (and will likely continue to) is astounding! I do have one sibling, a little brother. He's definitely on the younger side (he's turning 11 this summer), so I don't know how much he would be able to contribute.
With the current state of life, I may choose to care for a bird down the road. I definitely want to make sure I am able to provide the necessary safety, enrichment, attention, and care needed, but realistically know that right now may not be the best time to add another "buddy" into my life (albeit one with special needs and considerations, such as fragrances, Teflon, fans, drafts, etc.) :tup:
I'm super impressed with how much homework you've already done and look forward to following your journey in the years to come! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:greet13:

CarryOn357

Moving in
So, a bit of a question for the moderators: I was thinking about discussing multiple species of bird, as a way to learn more from experienced owners and get their input on what might work best for me. However, I was wondering where the best place to do it would be...Species Speedway focuses on specific species or "types" of bird, and The Airport seems to be more for existing owners to discuss general things.
What do you guys suggest? Just want to make sure that I'm not posting off-topic content in the wrong place!

CarryOn357

Moving in
So, a bit of a question for the moderators: I was thinking about discussing multiple species of bird, as a way to learn more from experienced owners and get their input on what might work best for me. However, I was wondering where the best place to do it would be...Species Speedway focuses on specific species or "types" of bird, and The Airport seems to be more for existing owners to discuss general things.
What do you guys suggest? Just want to make sure that I'm not posting off-topic content in the wrong place!
Disregard, I think I managed to answer my own question ;)
Hope to see you all around the avenue!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!