• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Monica wow thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.
I will take strategies and try.
I'll look at links and thread you sent and add new one.

I added pic just after spritz bathe outside
From expression looks miserable but he liked it alot and I let him dry out....but he still plucks so I'll research more and keep trying...
DSC_0225.JPG
:) thanks Diane

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Welcome! :)

I haven't seen anything that says he's plucking, but it does sound from one post that he could be bored and snapping the feathers, or maybe he's snapping them for another reason? Not plucking, but still FDB behaviors!

And a lot of parrots do tend to look quite miserable when they are wet, even though they enjoyed their bath!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does he grind his beak?

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Hi clueless Gil does something like grinding beak but more sounds like it's his tongue smacking esp after eating?

Ok all I'll touch back on here but I'll post link for new thread in either Ringneck lane or related field to plucking issues :)

Thank you for welcome & support.
Diane & Gil DSC_0185.JPG

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Break grinding is a sign of contentment:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome to AA. Cute pic by the way :)

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
DSC_0237.JPG Hi All, thanks again for warm welcome and advice, links etc....

I have looked and researched more information on Gilmour's issues...

So we have since gotten larger cage/aviary, more spritzes, and destruction avoiding toys from wood to with feathers I made from hair accessories.
He still overpreens, pulls feathers, his claws but he chews on the toys with feathers more and seems Ok...
Not sure he will ever get plumage back or full or fly naturally but I don't care as long as he is happy full content lil guy.
He is so smart cute funny I cannot imagine not having a parrot, wish I would have gotten one long ago, but Gilmour's my Lil fiesty baby.

I'll be looking thru the area on the subject and will post there.
I will also go back to Avian Vets for blood panels, test feathers, droppings, etc even if beak&feather disease neg and chlamydia neg, just for ruling out but the discoloration of the feathers is odd goes from green to brownish but he has been on pellets and fruit since past year and he is 1.5-2 yr old boy DNA confirmed....so I'll try anything and test for all so as to make sure I've done all I can.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What a handsome guy...I love the expression he has in the pictures! It's plain to see you have a real scamp on your hands... :)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I'm not an IRN person, but it looks like you are getting lots of good advice. I just wanted to say welcome.

Milly Vani

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debbie
My bird began plucking....it got so bad that his wings were like little nubs bc he pulled out all of his flight feathers. Turns out he was on the wrong diet and was low in calcium, magnesium, thiamine. After complete change to organic food as well as some supplements and lots of fruit and veggies he stopped and grew back his feathers. just a few months ago I thought it was happening again...but turns out he was just molting! Good luck!!I know it can be very frustrating :jawdrop1:
Just came accross your post for Leroy. I have a Grackle tooo and was wondering if you still have Leroy. You seem to have so much love for him!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just came accross your post for Leroy. I have a Grackle tooo and was wondering if you still have Leroy. You seem to have so much love for him!
That member hasn´t logged in in over 7 years. You may not get a response.