• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here with budgie, probably a tail problem ??

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Hello guys. I just today bought a budgie from petco of my neighborhood. I am very surprised how calm he is ( looks like boy and I hope he is ) It was difficult for them grab him but after they did he didn’t bite them he was ok to let them pet his head and they put him in this paper box and he wasn’t even moving. That quite he made them checked if he is ok little bit later. He start whistling in the car and except this afternoon when I brought him in he was stacked on the cage’s wall without moving, after I came back from work he was sitting relaxed and when I got near him, speak with him he didn’t even move. He was just looking at me. I hope all this behavior is normal and he is just friendlier than others and not sick. I will not try to open the cage for the next weeks to touch him but I like the fact he don’t freak out when he sees me. I had an African grey long time before I don’t remember everything so I am feeling pretty new in all this. One problem tho, when I choose him because they had a lot of them all together his tail was straight and beautiful and when we got home wasn’t straight anymore, the guy grabbed him with a cloth and he probably hurt him or broke a feather I am not sure, I got some pics, if anybody have an idea just please let me know. Is it something I have to worry about? You think it’s a good idea to call them tomorrow? Or it’s just a broken feather it’ll fall and grow up again ? Thank you. 11B46D53-557A-4575-A89C-F943AB9593FA.jpeg

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That tail feather is nothing to stress about. Looks like it got broken so it will molt out and should grow back just fine given some time.

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
That tail feather is nothing to stress about. Looks like it got broken so it will molt out and should grow back just fine given some time.
thank you so much, I hope you right because I love him already ❤

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you also have natural perches for your little one or just dowels? If you only have dowels then try yo add some natural perches ASAP for your little ones feet health. @Ripshod will be a great help to you for information.

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Do you also have natural perches for your little one or just dowels? If you only have dowels then try yo add some natural perches ASAP for your little ones feet health. @Ripshod will be a great help to you for information.
No, I didn’t get yet, but I was reading about it. I was thinking to let him settle for 2 weeks without open the cage door at all. You think I have to rush it ?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If he’s chill and comfortable with you then I wouldn’t leave interaction for that amount of time. I also don’t think you’ll be able to feed him and clean his cage well if it’s not opened for 2 weeks.
Let his behaviour, interest and confidence guide you as to when you interact.
All my birds were good for interaction within hours of coming home.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Shez has given great advice. If the tail feather is bothering her you can cut it down with scissors. It won't do any harm to leave it though.
I agree about the perches too. You may also want to get rid of the coconut - it can be seen as a nest and can encourage egg laying.
Use your gut with her. If she wants to interact with you she'll cling on the side of the cage closest to you. If she paces the perch it can mean she wants out of the cage. Try offering a little millet through the bars with your fingers. She may not be interested but if you keep doing it she'll likely get interested.
Don't sit staring at her. Sit side-on by the cage and sneak quick glances just like another budgie would do.
But remember, she's in a new cage in a new home with a new human - she has to study and learn about you as much as you need to learn about her.

Yep. I see a little lady.

:welave:

Last edited:

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Shez has given great advice. If the tail feather is bothering her you can cut it down with scissors. It won't do any harm to leave it though.
I agree about the perches too. You may also want to get rid of the coconut - it can be seen as a nest and can encourage egg laying.
Use your gut with her. If she wants to interact with you she'll cling on the side of the cage closest to you. If she paces the perch it can mean she wants out of the cage. Try offering a little millet through the bars with your fingers. She may not be interested but if you keep doing it she'll likely get interested.
Don't sit staring at her. Sit side-on by the cage and sneak quick glances just like another budgie would do.
But remember, she's in a new cage in a new home with a new human - she has to study and learn about you as much as you need to learn about her.

Yep. I see a little lady.

Lady ? Oh no Why you saying that ?It have blue nose I did try to offer it and it worked. It didn’t fit through the bars but he was eating it with my hand very close.

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Lady ? Oh no Why you saying that ?It have blue nose I did try to offer it and it worked. It didn’t fit through the bars but he was eating it with my hand very close.
Young ladies have blue ceres turning to white around the nares. Young boys have pink or violet ceres. It's just something to know - no need to worry about it.
I wondered if she'd take millet from you inside the cage. Great progress already. Don't rush things though, don't want to change things up too quickly.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your budgie is beautiful! Don't tell my four, but I've always been partial to blue budgies. :laugh:

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Young ladies have blue ceres turning to white around the nares. Young boys have pink or violet ceres. It's just something to know - no need to worry about it.
I wondered if she'd take millet from you inside the cage. Great progress already. Don't rush things though, don't want to change things up too quickly.
I guess I was unlucky with the gender but seems I was very lucky with the character. No I will try to go with very small steps. I feed her two different things today with hand again the one really short so she was close to my hand. Also I got rid the nest like you advise me while she was there and she didn’t got bothered at all. But I think if I try to get close with my hand she’ll back off so I will not until I see her ready. The weird thing is she’s not moving at all from this perch while I am in the room. She’s there like a statue. I know she’s is eating and drinking because I see the seeds and I think she tried to swing today or something like that because I saw the swing moved but all while I am gone, while I am in the room no movement at all only eyes and head. It’s the second day home, but again is this normal ?

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Your budgie is beautiful! Don't tell my four, but I've always been partial to blue budgies. :laugh:

Thank you, I really like the colors too. Probably later on I’ll add different colors like yours I like all of them

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
while I am in the room no movement at all only eyes and head. It’s the second day home, but again is this normal ?
Yes it's normal for a new cage and a new human. She'll settle in, explore more and relax more given a little time. She's just wary.

Giannis

Moving in
Real Name
Giannis
Thank you all guys all the answers of yours was very helpful. I hope everything will go well with her ❤

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome! Wonderful budgie girl you've got there! :heart: