• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, hello everyone

ZymForever

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
I realized I never made a formal introduction. I'm Jessica and our family has recently adopted a 2-3 year old (we aren't 100% sure) male hybrid conure, either a Jenday/Nanday mix or a Sun/Nanday mix, the jury is still out, but since his previous owner called him a Jenday I'm going with Jenday/Nanday mix. The woman we adopted him from could not care for him any longer due to medical issues and felt he wasn't getting enough attention. His name is Sunny, which we were prepared to change if he didn't respond to it, but since he does we decided to keep it (we decided that it was short for Sundance, just to make it slightly less generic). Since we've brought him home last night he's glommed onto us -- we lucked out, he's very affectionate and sweet and obviously is ready for some love. I was prepared to have to work with him a bit to get him used to us but he seems very happy to be here and is only nippy when startled. He does seem a bit spooked by my husband, and I think he's possibly not been around men much before, but we'll work on that.

We lost our pineapple GCC, Zym, tragically a few weeks ago. We had not planned on getting another bird for a few months yet, since the pain of losing Zym was still very raw, but this opportunity presented itself and when we visited with Sunny, we just knew we needed to give him a home. Adopting a bird instead of buying a new baby makes me feel better about getting a new bird relatively quickly. I like to think that Zym would have approved of us taking Sunny home. Our house was awfully quiet without a bird around. Zym was primarily my 10 year old daughter's bird -- the cage was in her room and she worked with him the most (with my guidance), but the whole family adored him. My husband, who has never been a huge animal person at all, cried about Zym for weeks. When we got home with Sunny he went out to Zym's grave and talked to him and asked for his blessing in bringing Sunny home. I really hope Sunny will warm up to him too in time.

I'm looking forward to hanging around and learning from all of the experienced bird owners here. Although our family had cockatiels when I was a child, and I had some finches, Zym was the first bird I'd had as an adult. I don't consider myself really an experienced bird-mom so I have a lot to learn!

87066447_1589169961223502_3017120465656217600_n (1).jpg 86406939_1188193441375731_5058787088829251584_n.jpg
This is Sunny with my daughter Annika
82120899_10159097383812437_7492614840653971456_n.jpg
And this is Annika with the late Zym.

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jessica and Sunny :starshower1:

I’m very sorry for your loss of Zym, I’m sure he approves of you giving Sunny a loving home :hug9:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Sunny! :)

You definitely see the Nanday in Sunny...and a mix of Jenday and Nanday would result in an interesting Conure, indeed. ;)

Condolences to all of you on the loss of Zym...and rest assured, he's looking in on you all...and smiling...:heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! I definitely see nanday, also, but no matter his species he's gorgeous!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome I am sorry for your loss

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Hello and welcome! Sunny is gorgeous!

And I know Zym is smiling down on all of you from the bridge:heart:

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
Welcome. Sorry to hear about your loss... it touched my heart to read about your husband, how he's dealing with it. I think he really "deserves" to have Sunny warm up to him. And may I say: beautiful birds and beautiful daughter.