• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here and new GCC mommy!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There are people out there, both new and old, who still prescribe to old and outdated info! So great of your parents to have been a great mentor for you!!!!

You can also try nuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, dried fruit without anything added... for more variety! :)

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
There are people out there, both new and old, who still prescribe to old and outdated info! So great of your parents to have been a great mentor for you!!!!

You can also try nuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, dried fruit without anything added... for more variety! :)
Mr.Grey was and still is my best teacher! My parents have always told me the rasied me like a grey positive reinforcement and all! I'm happy with my Baby "baby" GCC and she is definitely a good starting parrot for me and some day I hope to have a few more if she allows!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Now I can pet her belly and her feet! Tommrow her nee cage comes so that's exciting! I hope this time she is less stressed coming out! She now flys to me on command and ive been making her foraging toys and also target traning! Only issue I'm running into her her not wanting to eat pellets!! She always wants is fruit but I'm cutting her off tommrow and only offering pellets!

Last edited:

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
You may not want to cut off her only source of food she is familiar with. It takes days and sometimes weeks before a bird will finally try something new. I have a bowl with my lovie’s regular seed and the sprouted ones, mixed together As well as a bowl with fresh foods. I also have a smaller bowl with pellets mixed with canary seeds which he really likes. Nothing happened for quite a while and yesterday he was giving me snuggles, and I could smell the fruit pellets on his breath so I know he ate some. Eventually I will decrease the one over the other but not all at once.

give it time, he will eventually adapt to new things.

So happy to see the great progress you are making!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
You may not want to cut off her only source of food she is familiar with. It takes days and sometimes weeks before a bird will finally try something new. I have a bowl with my lovie’s regular seed and the sprouted ones, mixed together As well as a bowl with fresh foods. I also have a smaller bowl with pellets mixed with canary seeds which he really likes. Nothing happened for quite a while and yesterday he was giving me snuggles, and I could smell the fruit pellets on his breath so I know he ate some. Eventually I will decrease the one over the other but not all at once.

give it time, he will eventually adapt to new things.

So happy to see the great progress you are making!
She was supposedly weaned fully on these specific pellets but only plays with them! I'm going to pull the fruit out of her cage tomorrow and only offer her pellets for a couple of hours and see what happens.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Oh that’s good to know, it’s not totally new for her.

ive only had 2 babies over the years, one a lovie and one a parrotlet. Neither regressed and both were onto seeds.

ive read that quite often a bird will regress onto what they were fed before going to their new home so maybe this is what is happening. She likes the pellets, but finds comfort in the seeds. She has only been a few days with you so is probably still getting used to things.

its similar to a baby that is now mostly on solid foods but may still want that pablum or milk when feeling scared or with a new babysitter because it misses mom and dad.

give it time, I’m not an expert but I would think she will come around once she is more comfortable. Indulge her if she still wants her seeds but keep mixing in her pellets that she is also familiar with.

I assume you are giving her the same brand as the breeder?

Seeds and pellets look all the same to us but they sure know the difference from one brand to another... :wacky:

all the best and keep us updated and lots of pics when you have a chance, everyone here :heart: photos!!!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Oh that’s good to know, it’s not totally new for her.

ive only had 2 babies over the years, one a lovie and one a parrotlet. Neither regressed and both were onto seeds.

ive read that quite often a bird will regress onto what they were fed before going to their new home so maybe this is what is happening. She likes the pellets, but finds comfort in the seeds. She has only been a few days with you so is probably still getting used to things.

its similar to a baby that is now mostly on solid foods but may still want that pablum or milk when feeling scared or with a new babysitter because it misses mom and dad.

give it time, I’m not an expert but I would think she will come around once she is more comfortable. Indulge her if she still wants her seeds but keep mixing in her pellets that she is also familiar with.

I assume you are giving her the same brand as the breeder?

Seeds and pellets look all the same to us but they sure know the difference from one brand to another... :wacky:

all the best and keep us updated and lots of pics when you have a chance, everyone here :heart: photos!!!
She actually is eating fruits like a mash! She wont even go for seeds her favorite fruit is apples she also like carrots! She came to me from a home she was an "accidental" hatch they we're not breeders so she grew up with Mom and Dad but I've also come to realize that her hatch date and the number of weeks that I was told he is don't add up these about 8 weeks when is the next couple days she hatched on January 15th

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Have fun decorating the new cage! Moving toys around and changing things up is one of my favorite activities these days :laugh: Getting a new home for your babies and setting it up the way they like it is my idea of fun ( I’m kinda a crazy bird lady though so...)
Can’t wait to see more pics of her as she continues warming up to you. You’re doing great! And I’m glad to hear she’s helping you with the panic attacks too, animals really are the best medicine. It’s that unconditional love I think :swoon:

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I will post pictures probably tommrow when I'm fully dine decorating!! She LOVES her new home shes flying all around! Shes okay with my hand being in there to add toys and to give her millet! I place my hand on the perch next to to her and she dosent at all mind.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Now I can pet her belly and her feet! Tommrow her nee cage comes so that's exciting! I hope this time she is less stressed coming out! She now flys to me on command and ive been making her foraging toys and also target traning! Only issue I'm running into her her not wanting to eat pellets!! She always wants is fruit but I'm cutting her off tommrow and only offering pellets!
Feet are ok, but you generally don't want to pet anything but a bird's head. Touching the belly, back, wings, etc . = mate behavior.

And hello from a fellow Sadie with a GCC :lol:

20200306_231316.jpg

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Even with a baby? Shes so young I assumed that was not an issue. I grew up with a grey and he loved to be petted on the belly and by anyone! He was super cuddly