• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here and need LOTS of help with training

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudleytheMacaw

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am new here. Our family adopted a yellow-collared macaw earlier this year. He has been flipped several times because of his biting and aggression. If you walk by his cage he will try to bite you. We have been trying to handle him with gloves. He does a sound like "AHHHHH AHHHHHH" whenever we do. He seems really protective over his cage and hates to be away from it. Any information or tips would help. I also apologize if this is the wrong place to post.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome aboard. Your absolutely right. "You guys" are going to need a lot of training. Not so much the bird.

The first thing I and many others are going to suggest is to get rid of the gloves. They accomplish nothing as far as the bird is concerned. All true relationships are based on trust and respect. There are no shortcuts to achieving them. They require patience, time and understanding.

If the bird is biting and being territorial, it's for a reason. Right now it would be insecurity and lack of trust because everything in his world is new.

Please give this article a read.

Parrot Trust Account

kackels

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kakie Currey
Great article! Thanks for sharing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.