• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here and a somewhat new bird owner.

Lunchbox88

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Josh
Hello all. I have been browsing this forum for a while but am just now signing up here and had a few questions if you don't mind. First off my bird is an Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot named Rio that belonged to my grandmother and when she passed away me and my mom decided to take him as my mom was kinda her caregiver and had formed a relationship with the bird as she had to help her take care of him. He is very good around her and lets her pet him and hold him while he is still kinda skittish around others. He lets me hold and pet him from time to time but as he knows her better he definitely is more comfortable with her. The thing I need advice on is the trimming of nails and beak. We were going to a vet here that was the only one I found that would see birds which went great for awhile until the last time a couple of months back. I suggested my mom try and trim his nails as he was pretty comfortable with her and it wasn't too bad so I am not really worried about the nails anymore. The beak however has me concerned as it is getting pretty long and pretty sharp, granted I don't know how long and sharp it is supposed to be but from pictures I have looked up it seems rather long for an Amazon. Now I am not thinking about trimming it as I have A: read alot that says don't try it at home and B: don't have much experience or think it would turn out well. I really was hoping someone could suggest some toys or something that might at least kinda let him grind it down. I have looked into this but there are so many mixed opinions on it and it gets confusing. I am just really trying to to do what's best for him as an avid animal lover I always liked to do research as I would never want to cause any harm to them. He really is something else too and I have really started loving him and enjoy spending time with him so I am really trying to do right by him. He just makes my day :) I hope I can get some good suggestions and look forward to being part of your community.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
To do the right thing by him please take him to an avian vet for a check up and grooming. Proper grooming is very important and the vet or his staff can show you how to do the grooming yourself if that I what you want to do. I have a groomer that comes to my home and it is such a help. Do not ignore nails.

Lunchbox88

Real Name
Josh
Oh we dont ignore the nails just we can do those ourself. Last vet I took him to trimmed his beak too short and it bled :/ Is there any way you can recommend a site or something to find a good vet. Is there a list on here?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue!
:starshower1::starshower:

The others have good advice! Yes you can trim the nails yourself, you can even look at an online tutorial, as long as it looks legit and all, you should be ok, the others might even know a good site.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Josh we would need to know where you live to help find an avian vet. I am sorry the birds beak was bleeding. Was that an certified avian vet?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Rio. :)

It shows that Rio has trust in you (and your Mom) to permit you guys to do his nails. :)

As for beak trimming, it's better left to a vet, preferably an AV, IMO...but even the best AVs can err and trim a beak to a point of bleeding...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Lunchbox88

Real Name
Josh
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)
I live in midwest Georgia about 1 hour south of Atlanta. Thing is I dont think he likes car rides too much as I'm sure there are some in Atlanta. I have just basically been calling around and trying to google avian vets. I am not sure he was but he seemed at the time like he knew what he was talking about a was the only person who would see us. Things got sketchier everytime though and more expensive when it was the same thing mostly we went for nail trims only did the beak trim once but he did trim his wings several times which he doesn't stay in a dangerous spot with a fan or anything so we weren't terribly in need of but still. The last time he trimmed his feathers he did horrible on that as well.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can get your bird used to car rides if you try. First get the bird used to a carrier by gradual exposure and putting treats inside. Then carry to the car and go for a short ride also with lots of treats. If you do this routinely the bird will adjust because he or she has been sensitized to the ride.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
avian vets
Find an Avian Veterinarian – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.
Association of Avian Veterinarians

If you can do the nails yourself, by all means---do it yourselves. It is much easier on the bird.
I agree that something to chew is best to try before resorting to a vet trimming a beak.
You should try a variety of woods to see what he likes best. Here are 3 vendors here on AA that have a variety of wood types and thicknesses, along with shreddables.
You can do it as a premade toy or buy a metal skewer (they sell them) and put wood pieces onto it. Skewers are also great for food chunks. Some skewers are straight, some are twisty.
http://www.aviananticsboutique.com/
Welcome to Seriously Nutz - For The Serious Chewerz!
Welcome to Tweety Pie's Bird Toys - Where the parrots shop
check out the entire list of wonderful and varied vendors here: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Why don't you post a good picture of his beak - you may learn that it's actually okay. Additionally, if it's just a bit long, you can add some items to his cage and diet that may help him do it himself. Buy a concrete or stone perch and put it in a preferred spot in his cage. They tend to be heavy, so anchor it well. He may also benefit from some bird-safe branches and/or clean and untreated pine lumber. A giving him an almond sometimes will also give him something to work his beak on. It will be much easier on everyone if he can take care of it himself. Good luck - and try to post a picture if you can.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Yes, please do post a photo of his beak if you can. :)

Check with local parrot rescues and ask for recommendations of where they get their grooming done.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Josh! It's unusual that a beak needs trimming - unless there is something wrong with it, ie. the bird can't eat properly. Beaks are meant to be sharp. As has been suggested try providing him with wood he can destroy which will help keep it trim. A soft wood like untreated pine is great. My Amazons love to make matchsticks out of these pine "Groovy Blocks" through which I thread a piece of knotted leather to make it into a foot toy. I'm sure you have something like this in the States too:
Groovy Blocks Parrot Toy Making Parts - Large

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
Welcome To the avian avenue!
So glad you’re able to join the loving parrot community!:greet15:
I agree with everyone else, you should take Rio to your avian vet to see what you can do from there. I suggest those rainbow rope perches/natural branches(not all branches are safe! Choose wisely!) to keep his nails from over growing.
Also it’s really interesting that you have to trim his beak? Like @Fuzzy said, you don’t need to usually trim it unless somethings wrong. Im pretty sure it’s nothing though, parrots beaks do need to be sharp but if you are concerned and don’t want his beak to get trimmed, I suggest buying a wood kabob toy to help reduce the sharpness or any other shredding toy! It works for my 3 parrots! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania