• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, also sorry that I posted this twice in a different thread.

Birbnoob

Moving in
Real Name
Indra
I'm new here. My name is Indra, I'm 20 y/o and got my first birds ever. I have two budgies, pepper and banana. I used to have another budgie together with banana called blueberry, but I bought her when she was already sick and it was too late for the treatment my vet started to really help. So now I just got pepper so my other budgie won't be lonely when I go to school. They are caged apart for quarantining and also to tame them seperately. So here was the post I put on a different thread:
IMG_20200129_184258_008.jpg
Hello everyone, I currently am trying to tame 2 budgies. They are adults but for some reason they just don't trust me. I read about taming them outside of their cage (I tame 1 at a time) and it took so long to get him back in his cage cause he was a bit distrusting in me. What should I do? To tame I spend 10 mins 2 times a day trying to handfeed them millet and trying to get them to step up. I do this in their cage. I don't force them and if they get scared of my hand I back off a bit. He eats out of my hand but doesn't want to step up anymore (he used to before his former buddy died and before I had to take him to the vet. Can anyone give me some advice? I spend a lot of time talking to him and stuff

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Indra! :starshower1:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! First, congratulations on your budgies and I'm sorry to hear one is gone. It's always heartbreaking. As for taming, I think it's a bit trickier when you're trying to tame 2 birds at the same time (even if not literally at the same time). They LOVE each other's companies and will want to bond with each other first before they'll want to bond with you. But with that said, I think patience and persistence is key. When I had a larger flock of budgies (5 in total), I got to a point of having them all eat millet from my hands and fly to me, but they still much preferred each other's company - and I was fine with that. All I wanted was for them to be healthy and happy. Also, when it comes to companion birds, it can take a long time and a considerable amount of effort to train and tame them. So lots of patience and baby steps.

I love their names!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

Birbnoob

Moving in
Real Name
Indra
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! First, congratulations on your budgies and I'm sorry to hear one is gone. It's always heartbreaking. As for taming, I think it's a bit trickier when you're trying to tame 2 birds at the same time (even if not literally at the same time). They LOVE each other's companies and will want to bond with each other first before they'll want to bond with you. But with that said, I think patience and persistence is key. When I had a larger flock of budgies (5 in total), I got to a point of having them all eat millet from my hands and fly to me, but they still much preferred each other's company - and I was fine with that. All I wanted was for them to be healthy and happy. Also, when it comes to companion birds, it can take a long time and a considerable amount of effort to train and tame them. So lots of patience and baby steps.

I love their names!
Thank you so much for your reply, he might indeed be more interested in the other feathered friend in the room. I'll keep trying to get them to step up that way it won't have to be stressfull for the birbs and for me. All I want is for them to enjoy each other and their daily freedom.

I love fruity names hehe

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:hello1: And Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road