• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New hatchling, formula consistency question

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

I have a question about the consistency of the formula for a 4 day old chick. Backstory, our cockatiels laid 3 eggs, one was bad, one hatched and the parents neglected/ killed it, and the 3rd hatched as well. They almost started taking care of it, then started to neglect and abuse it so I pulled it out of the cage. This has been super stressful! We are hoping to get this one raised, then never have this happen again.

I set it up in a makeshift brooder and have followed the directions for formula on the back of the Kaytee Exact bird formula (and read a ton/ watched a ton of videos). First 2 days it says to do a 1:6 ratio (formula to water), then days 3-5 do a 1:2-3 (we did 1:3), that was yesterday. The chick did really poorly on the 1:3, got dehydrated, lethargic, we really thought it was the end this morning. However, I set up a humidifier, and worked on gradually rehydrating the chick, it seems to be doing much better now (back on the 1:6 formula ratio). How do I know when to increase the formula to water ratio? Everything I saw/ read says the consistency of applesauce, and too much or too little water is bad- so how do I know when to increase?

Thanks for any help!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have baby tiel experience but this is a great resource for baby tiel care: www.ask-noodles.com. (And welcome to the forum!)

@Ripshod ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Generally following the instructions will give you the right consistency. In those first few days, you can do one feed substituting water for natural unsweetened coconut water for a hydration boost. In those few days feeding the formula will be much runner. That applesauce consistency is for when your down to the last ration on the box for over 5 days old.
Ultimately there could be a problem with your setup as you increased the humidity, the chick got better. Have it set somewhere between 60-65%. Though between 55 and 70 is the guide for humidity. Anything lower and it will be a big problem.
Watch for redness on the skin as its a clear sign of dehydration.
The link posted in the comment above is full of great info and advice, I recommend having a read through.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Thanks all- heading over to read the link. I definitely think a lot is attributed to the "brooder" set up. We are having a lot of trouble keeping the temperature consistent using a heat lamp. The links I saw to homemade brooders often were broken, since a lot of the threads were from 2009-2012. If anyone has a good recommendation on a homemade brooder and how to get the temp consistent, I would love the recommendations. Currently, the chick is in a 5.5 gallon tank, and inside a small box with a washcloth forming the "nest" and some baby socks (to cuddle against). The heat lamp is overhead, and humidifier at one side of the tank and I rigged it to funnel the humidity into the tank. Inside next to where the chick is I put a thermometer and humidity reader.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the link! I had seen this person on talkcockatiels, but all the links were broken. I think at this point it is the consistent temps that is the missing piece. This chick is a tough little one, I really want to sort out the brooder issues.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I ended up purchasing the Zoo Med Thermostat to help control the temperature. It doesn't look like it will help with low temps, and doesn't seem as accurate as the thermometer I placed next to the chick, but I am hoping at least it will prevent overheating (though that hasn't been my main problem).

I saw the author of ask noodles had previously recommended a under tank reptile heating pad, which I looked for but couldn't find (that model). I picked up the Zoo Med UTH for 1-5 gal tanks, but then when I got home realized that it only increase the temperature 5-10 degrees F (which isn't enough for us here in W. Massachusetts). Has anyone used this: Vivosun reptile mat ? Or could recommend one similar? I actually hate using a heat lamp.

I also picked up this chick warmer, but will likely return it because I can't find how warm it gets. Maybe someone else has used it?

Any links to products people have found useful for brooders would be very welcome! Thanks!