• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New GCC Zazu

Zazu&D

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dylan Jeffrey
Hi all,

So this is Zazu and he (guessing, has not been DNA tested) is a 4 month old GCC. I brought him home last Saturday 10/16. In the past week I have let him chill out and tried my best not to bother him, he's so cute it's hard. He started taking treats through the bars on Tuesday, from my hand at the door Friday and has done a little target training.

He still is very timid around my hands/me or even stepping up onto a stick if I am holding it. Also if he's out of his cage he flys back immediately as soon as he doesn't have a treat. He is still new so I'm not too worried.

I am curious on how long it took your babies to warm up to you and if you have any advice on what to do to get home more hand tamed. I am finding lots of conflicting info online before I picked him up and still.

He also has only taken one bath that I am aware of. Figuring out how he prefers his baths.
PXL_20211017_142005061.jpg
PXL_20211021_002507598.jpg

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome, to both you and zazu! He is beautiful!! :heart::heart:

bailey came to me completely tame and a Velcro baby at 9 weeks old, so can’t help there. But I do give him an old ceramic pie plate to bathe in and he loves it as he can spread out. Others will be in soon to comment. Lots of good and loving advice to be had here.

:welcomegroup:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA!
He’s adorable! What a little cutie I had a Greenie named Zazu as well,it’s definitely a popular name. Sounds like he’s progressing well starting his life with you,I look forward to seeing more pics of him and hearing about him :heart:
I just recently got a CBC baby I’ve had him about a month now I was very lucky that his breeder spoiled him so he wanted to be with me from the moment I opened his carrier he flew onto my shoulder and nuzzled my cheek and slept under my hair.
Im sure if you keep giving him yummy treats and associating good things with your hands he will become more used to them quickly.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome to you and Zazu! Sounds like you two are off to a great start. Just be patient and take things slow. Offer lots of praise and treats. Conures love praise and respond very well to it! Once he is settled in you could start target training as well.

:grpwelcome:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the avenue

You are doing really well with Zazu who is lovely by the way.
I have two conures Mojo a high red pineappleit took a month before she would step up. She now happily climbs all over me and my wife.
And i have KiKi a yellow side she wont go near my hands to step up however she will take a treat from me, she has stepped up for my wife three times we have had her for about 12 weeks. She comes out of her cage and will go back in if Mojo go's back in her cage, this afternoon she actually flew from her cage to the couch and sat next to me for a while.
I think if you carry on doing what you are doing with Zazu you will soon have him stepping up just let him dictate things and he will become more confident with time.