• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Galah Owner

Lizann5282

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lizann
Hi all! I just joined this group in hopes to get some questions answered. My mother recently passed away and her galah was bonded to me so I’ve acquired a beautiful, stubborn, needy, but EXTREMELY sweet galah ❤ But my mother always took the lead on her care and scared everyone in the house on how sensitive these birds are to, well, just about everything. We always use vinegar to clean, but I recently bought some Grove Collaborative products thinking the plant based products will be safe and make the house smell good (we also have 3 dogs and a teenage boy in the house) but on further research I read that essential oils are bad for them, but I also read they’re only toxic if they’re in a diffuser, not diluted or put directly in the bird, so I’m coming here to double check that, and also to ask what everyone feeds their picky birds? I took Blossom (our galah) to the vet not too long ago and was told she’s fat ‍♀ So, I tried working on that while my mom was still here, but she was super set in her ways. If anyone has ANY advice for me it is VERY MUCH appreciated. I just really want to do right by her, she’s all I have left of my mother.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't think essential oils should be used. I clean cages with water and vinegar. If you're looking to really disinfect something, you can use F10. I am not familiar with the products that you're using. If you want your house to smell nice, you can boil oranges and cinnamon sticks. (When the bird is safely in her cage of course.) What is your bird's current diet?

Lizann5282

Real Name
Lizann
She gets pellets and seed 24/7, but I found out my mom was giving cockatiel type seeds because Blossom is picky, and her vet said she’s overweight. Then she gets birdy bread in the morning and chop at night.

Lizann5282

Real Name
Lizann
She also will NOT eat raw fresh veggies (except broccoli) she will only eat certain ones when they’re in her chop and slightly steamed. I swear I just adopted a toddler. Lol and she only eats mangos and papaya sometimes, other fruits she only eats if it’s in her birdy bread. My mother just gave in all the time, so I think she’s created a monster!!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
She also will NOT eat raw fresh veggies (except broccoli) she will only eat certain ones when they’re in her chop and slightly steamed. I swear I just adopted a toddler. Lol and she only eats mangos and papaya sometimes, other fruits she only eats if it’s in her birdy bread. My mother just gave in all the time, so I think she’s created a monster!!
Birds can develop bad habits, but they often surprise you by being very adaptable. I recently adopted a 7-year-old ringneck and was told he refused to eat pellets or vegetables. I switched him from seed to pellets overnight with no transition and he was totally fine. He eats vegetables, but can be choosey.

Be careful not to feed too much fruit; it can be bad for parrots to eat so much fruit. Fruit is best treated as a treat like dessert.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue, I am sorry to hear of your loss of your mother.

EO's are not safe! Not safe to be diffused, not to be used in any way around birds but especially not safe to be put on the bird- OMG I am shocked to see you found that bit of advice somewhere given how sensitive birds are to pollutants in the environment.
I used to use EO's a lot, I found that contrary to many bits of advice about them being safe and beneficial for all living beings, my dogs used to choose to either stay outside or they'd ask to go outside if I used EO's indoors and if they could not get outside they would sneeze and rub at their faces, my ferrets and cat would also rub at their faces so I stopped using them inside around the pets- I can't imagine how irritating they would be to a birds super sensitive and very effective respiratory system even without being diffused- some oils bothered me when I could smell them and some I used topically diluted in carrier oils would make my mums tongue and fingertips go numb.
I really do not think anyone should be using them on animals- they used to only be used by people who were well trained in the safe use and dangers of them then they got popular and were becoming available everywhere and to anyone and everyone and all kinds of dangerous suggestions for use were seen.
Not all EO's are pure either so there are concerns about what they are made and mixed with also.

Birds are rather stubborn and not as easy to make changes for as say dogs are but with persistent and consistent behaviours you will make some changes for the better of this sweetie. I have a rescue cocky and he came to me accepting literally only 3 foods as edible items so he lived on a diet of green peas, sunflower seeds and the odd peanut- he was in a very bad way health wise when I got him, at the start he would not touch his food if I put anything that was not his 3 regular foods in the bowl and I had to stand and hold the bowl for him but now a year later he is eating on his own, eating many more foods than what he was eating and he is even searching for the new foods to eat them first- took about a year but he is trying new things and actually loves pellets now. Still many things he wont touch but I am sure we will continue to make progress with his diet.

Lizann5282

Real Name
Lizann
Welcome to the Avenue, I am sorry to hear of your loss of your mother.

EO's are not safe! Not safe to be diffused, not to be used in any way around birds but especially not safe to be put on the bird- OMG I am shocked to see you found that bit of advice somewhere given how sensitive birds are to pollutants in the environment.
I used to use EO's a lot, I found that contrary to many bits of advice about them being safe and beneficial for all living beings, my dogs used to choose to either stay outside or they'd ask to go outside if I used EO's indoors and if they could not get outside they would sneeze and rub at their faces, my ferrets and cat would also rub at their faces so I stopped using them inside around the pets- I can't imagine how irritating they would be to a birds super sensitive and very effective respiratory system even without being diffused- some oils bothered me when I could smell them and some I used topically diluted in carrier oils would make my mums tongue and fingertips go numb.
I really do not think anyone should be using them on animals- they used to only be used by people who were well trained in the safe use and dangers of them then they got popular and were becoming available everywhere and to anyone and everyone and all kinds of dangerous suggestions for use were seen.
Not all EO's are pure either so there are concerns about what they are made and mixed with also.

Birds are rather stubborn and not as easy to make changes for as say dogs are but with persistent and consistent behaviours you will make some changes for the better of this sweetie. I have a rescue cocky and he came to me accepting literally only 3 foods as edible items so he lived on a diet of green peas, sunflower seeds and the odd peanut- he was in a very bad way health wise when I got him, at the start he would not touch his food if I put anything that was not his 3 regular foods in the bowl and I had to stand and hold the bowl for him but now a year later he is eating on his own, eating many more foods than what he was eating and he is even searching for the new foods to eat them first- took about a year but he is trying new things and actually loves pellets now. Still many things he wont touch but I am sure we will continue to make progress with his diet.
Yeah, there was a whole holistic site that used EOs for tumors or something, I skipped that one real quick because I already knew putting it on or even in close contact with them was ALL bad. But I was curious because these cleaning product are plant based but use EOs to scent them. I know A LOT are toxic to all animals, but these seemed a little safer to use around the house because they’re super diluted and not being used anywhere near the room she’s in. But I def don’t want to risk hurting her.
I don’t think I mentioned that I’m a vet tech in a general practice clinic, so I have tons of education on cats/dogs and I do have an exotics relief vet that comes to work for us occasionally, but there’s an unspoken rule in the vet world that you don’t bug your vets about your own personal pets unless you bring them to work with you, so I hate to nag her when she’s not at my hospital. So I TRULY appreciate any and ALL info from you all!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:sadhug2:im so sorry for the loss of your mum.

But glad you found us and joined in!

Deffinatly never give up on new foods! I rescued an old quaker girl seed addict. It took a lot of time with some stuff.. it took 2 years to get her to eat romaine lettuce!! It cracks me up, now because its in her top 3 favorite veggies now. She never turns it down when I dump some in her bowl.

Diets are never fun for anyone! Getting her foraging will help some.
Hope you share a pic!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Welcome! Like said previously don't give up on new foods, I think @Mizzely's Ripley took 3 years to eat veggies