• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New found aggresion

Barbara Bain

Moving in
Real Name
Barbara
Hi. My sweet little boy turned 2 at the beginning of August. Since then he has attacked me on 5 occasion, each with increased fervor. Last night he caught my eye lid leaving me with a nasty bite bruising and swelling. He gave no warning this time. What can I do to help him and me survive what is going on? I dont even understand what is wrong. Is it hormones? Is it something else? Can anyone give me insight?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It is thd start of hormone season but we don't have much information to assist you.

I have a gang of caiques and am never attacked as you describe, Hormone season or not

Caique_n_Crafts

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Melissa Davis
Sounds like hormones. Mine been attacking my roommate for past 2months. So he just wears gloves n hat, so if he decides be aggressive he can be tossed off. I've also had him give zorro treats through cage anytime he enters my room, and now he seems to be over it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Barbara!
I'm guessing that you have a caique because of where you posted. I can tell you that bites are almost always a form of communication. I'm going to tag a few people that may know about this a little better than I. I would keep your face away from him & keep him off your chest ; shoulder areas till this rough time for his hormones settle.

@Mizzely
@Matto
@DoubleTake
@Laurie

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Caiques are super playful but they can be just as mean with the same intensity. Has anything change recently? Less play time? New scent, lip stick, pericings, eye lashes, nail polish, glasses or any new physical appearances? New guests? Any little events you can think of for him/her to hold a grudge? I assume inow its. Boy through DNA? My limited experience is that caiques are just as bipolar as amazons and toos. At this point its just speculation without having more details that lead up to the bite or a video of the bird's body language.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you my friend!

Sweetpea's Mom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Linda
Hi, you have to let them know that is unacceptable behaviour. My caigue understands the phrase "leave it" which I say in a strong, serious voice. Also, never, ever show them fear or let them know they "got you". My caique loves to bite bare feet. Everyone but mine. I trained her by saying leave it and not moving my feet an inch when she bit them. If they get no reaction, they get bored. My boyfriend however hops around trying not to let her get his feet which she finds hilarious and of course this only encourages her to try to bit them more. He's resigned now to always wearing slippers.