• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Foraging Idea

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Pichu SO appreciates these clever foraging ideas, but I imagine you know that already! :heart:
How I wish mine would land somewhere other than their travel cage! (I know, for months and months all I could say was I WISH they would GO in that travel cage HAAA!)
Thanks Elly, but you know, I thought the budgies would be scared of such a beads bowl so I didn't even try to give them one, since they never showed interest for Pichu's. Then I decided to try nonetheless, gave them one at the bottom of their cage close to their chop and sprouted seeds. Left some dry seeds on the top of some beads so they'd see them and get the message. Nothing.
Then I left a 5cm long millet spray.
Since then, they happily go and forage too ;)
The only thing is that they really do poop much more than Pichu so I have to change and wash the beads more often, but as long as they're happy... :heart2:
So I suggest a bowl of beads on the travel cage :rolleyes:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So I suggest a bowl of beads on the travel cage :rolleyes:
I tried that - the bowl of beads in the travel cage, but... maybe I didn't put a large enough bowl!
I just used one of the half moon shaped feeder dishes (small one), and buried some millet, but maybe if I could attach a bowl that was a little smaller than a saucer it might work? I'll keep trying, if it worked for yours, it might work for F&F! :D

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I tried that - the bowl of beads in the travel cage, but... maybe I didn't put a large enough bowl!
I just used one of the half moon shaped feeder dishes (small one), and buried some millet, but maybe if I could attach a bowl that was a little smaller than a saucer it might work? I'll keep trying, if it worked for yours, it might work for F&F! :D
Doesn't have to be big, I used a saucer with wood shavings first time, then a take-away container with beads, then the little wooden house. Maybe you could just drop some beads in their seeds first, then increase the number of beads each day..? Or like I did, have the millet on top of the beads so they understand that place is a good one and start dig after some forgotten millet next time..?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea