• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Foraging Idea

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use broken bits of wood in Buddy's seed bowl (He's down to a teaspoon or 2 a day) minus treats & of course... Sprouts. I also use folded paper strips in his bowl to make a little pocket forager. Nut shells work great too! I change the wood & paper out regularly. I dumped most of the bowl accidentally yesterday, pocket foragers didn't make it :(. Here are the remains...

20190927_002116~2.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I tried the crinkle paper idea. Bella loved it! She stayed in this thing for an hour.
Lovely! I love it when we have happy birds! Well done giving Bella a special and fun day.

My paranoid parront eyes are wondering what is in the red dye? Maybe better to use a non dyed option. :)

JennyM.

Meeting neighbors
Lovely! I love it when we have happy birds! Well done giving Bella a special and fun day.

My paranoid parront eyes are wondering what is in the red dye? Maybe better to use a non dyed option. :)
yes I agree, I’ll get non dyed stuff but I wanted to try it and this is what I had on hand. She pooped all over it too so it’s a one and done kinda thing

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@JennyM.
Yay Bella! :roflmao: you know, I keep looking through my Paulie's bowl for poop and can't seem to find any. Bella being larger than Paulie, I assume her's is easily noticeable. However, I do still plan to empty out Paulie's regularly just in case.

I'm so glad I could inspire and learn from everyone who responded to this thread. Thank you all so much!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Here’s our setup after she spent the day digging
I really have to thank you for the idea, Pichu loves it and spends a lot of time in there! I added 4 small balls with a bell and a couple other toys on the top of it, he has a great time throwing beads around and fishing for seeds!

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I really have to thank you for the idea, Pichu loves it and spends a lot of time in there! I added 4 small balls with a bell and a couple other toys on the top of it, he has a great time throwing beads around and fishing for seeds!
You're welcome! I'm so glad Pichu is enjoying it! I just did the same setup for my newest tiel, Pumpkin, and she LOVES foraging in her pony beads bin.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I like to use a plate (a plastic ikea picnic plate) with glass marbles on and sprinkle seeds and pellets on top for them to dig out. I find the marbles easy to clean. Also, this way two lovies can share without fighting.

Screenshot_20191016_211503.jpg

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ha... Ok... this silly Mommy forgot to put the millet in with the pony beads. Fergus nor Fiona has touched the pony beads in their fake orange plastic feeder in the travel cage. I did add crinkle paper today, but I will have to add millet at some point, and MAYBE they will go for it! So neat to see all the photos of your flock loving this idea!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ha... Ok... this silly Mommy forgot to put the millet in with the pony beads. Fergus nor Fiona has touched the pony beads in their fake orange plastic feeder in the travel cage. I did add crinkle paper today, but I will have to add millet at some point, and MAYBE they will go for it! So neat to see all the photos of your flock loving this idea!
:rofl:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Gone from beads to marbles today to make it a little more difficult ;) They were actually too heavy for Pichu to move around so I had to remove some of them. The good thing is that he started exploring other spots on the table, where he hadn't been for a while, and there were hidden treats too!! :prsntbx:

20191123_191303.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gone from beads to marbles today to make it a little more difficult ;) They were actually too heavy for Pichu to move around so I had to remove some of them. The good thing is that he started exploring other spots on the table, where he hadn't been for a while, and there were hidden treats too!! :prsntbx:

View attachment 320561
Made me smile!

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Definitely will do this ! Looks like fun! I have a lot of beauty stones that used to be in an aquarium

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Pichu SO appreciates these clever foraging ideas, but I imagine you know that already! :heart:
How I wish mine would land somewhere other than their travel cage! (I know, for months and months all I could say was I WISH they would GO in that travel cage HAAA!)