• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Female Budgie has become very Dominant!

Skiwis

Meeting neighbors
Around the end of September, I introduced a female budgie (Snowy) after Kiwi had died in the summer leaving Sky on his own. Sky had previously been very much the dominant bird in the cage.

Snowy flew in to find Sky one day after being quarantined for around two weeks. I didn't let them sleep together straight away, but all seemed fine at the start.

More recently, Snowy has started sitting in the food bowl. I was worried about how much food Sky was getting, so I first added a second food bowl and then switched to the plastic ones, which were in her quarantine cage and put the tops on them.

However, despite doing this she still scares Sky off every time I offer millet, meaning that it is hard to train both of them unless I have a piece of millet for each of them.

What would be the best course of action now?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Females are predominately the dominant one, so I'm surprised Sky got away with it.
Does Snowy ever go in the cage on her own. You could maybe shut her in and work with Sky on his own. Obviously you'll have to let Snowy out straight after and work with her a little. Food is the driver in all this so use it to your own advantage. For now you could withdraw the millet as soon as Snowy starts chasing Sky away so she doesn't get any reward for her effort.
Hopefully over time Snowy will warm to Sky a little more and see him as a friend rather than competition.
I don't actively train the budgies myself. We've got to where we are now just by rewarding good behaviour.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yup, that is what they do. Its a female thing in their genes. That is how they protect their babies if they have any.

I don't actively train the budgies myself. We've got to where we are now just by rewarding good behaviour.
This is they way to do it. Get the millet out.