• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New female at home, need advice

Jaydee

Moving in
Hello dear all,

I am new here and would really like opinion on experienced owners of caiques.

(short version) New female (2 years old) introduced to 1.5 year old male. 3 hours of cage to cage contact, no aggression just sweet sounds and curiosity. The moment they are out male is attacking female like nuts.

It needs more time to be in separate cages? to get use to each other?
Let them fight/figure it out?
Incompatible pair?
Any tips and successful stories?

(long version)
I have got Benji when he was 9 month (he is 1.5 now), he was parent raised but very easily tamed so we have no behaviour issues. Potty trained, no biting, cuddling before bed type of boy.

Past 3-5 months he became obsessed about me, regurgitating, humping my hand and so on so I decided its time for us to get a female for him so he can direct his passion towards a bird not human.
Since we dont have many caique breeders in Sweden the options are very minimum, but I finally found a female 3 hours drive away and I got her home last night.
She is parent raised, healthy looking 2 year old female, slightly bigger than my Benji tho. She comes to my hand easily to get out of the cage, so not the worst type of untamed.
I left both cages next to each other for 3 hours , no aggression was shown just curiosity. I got Benji out to investigate her up close, then did the same with her when Benji was locked in. No sings of aggression.
Then when they both got out we had a huge fight between them with screaming and rolling on the floor, it was not playing but kind of power struggle. I separated them and now they are eating and looking at each other suspiciously. How do I proceed with this situation?

Thank you so much for your time reading this and responding.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I keep my male and female in separate cages, and they like it that way. They play together when they’re out, and they can see and talk to each other, but I don’t want babies, and I don’t have to worry about aggression.
When I first introduced them, they required intense supervision for the first couple of weeks. Now they play constantly when they are out.

Jaydee

Moving in
Yes I keep them separated but the second they are out he attacks her in a mean way causing stress and aggression to her. I’m not sure if I can do anything about it, any tips? Maybe he’s just too young?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You belong to the male
He was with you first
YOU BELONG TO HIM

Jealousy is the root of your problem

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Fix by keeping them apart
Separate cages
No visible favouritism
Liberal use of food bribery
Distraction when aggressive moves begin
Time

And they may never like each other much

Tim

Avenue Veteran
How are Thumper and his lady getting along, John?

Jaydee

Moving in
Well he stopped attacking her because im around at all times and do not allow him to get too close and last night they even jumped together on the carpet. I think time will fix this and they are just too young yet to be in love

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They may never be in love, but they may tolerate each other or play together. Please be very very careful and consider not caging them together (I dont know if you planning this or not). I know of a caique that had it’s beak ripped off by another caique. Personally, I would never house two caiques together as pets at that age, especially after the start you have had. I like how @Tim handles his caiques - separate cages for their safety and personal space and supervised play time. I hope they end up getting along, as both caiques will be happier. But please consider not caging them together.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Personally, I would never house two caiques together as pets at that age,
Really?

I have my 2 caged together more than half the time now. They play, occasionally bicker, and sleep in a hammock together.

I still haven’t bought the new cage I want, but I’m going to get a huge cage with a divider. In case there are problems down the road, since they are still young. But are you saying it is best to separate them?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@finchly I wouldnt house them together unless one is absolutely certain they will get along. Since her male is attacking the female, I would be very wary of ever housing them together. I know that I would never trust my male with another caique unsupervised.

You know your caiques better than anyone, so you have to trust yourself on housing them together. I dont think I would separate them if they are bonded and getting along at this point. That might be cruel, but I’d sure keep an eye on them. Also, I think caiques are more likely to get along if they are raised together. But definitely a large cage is a must.

Jaydee

Moving in
I know my male and after the first weeks I am most certain and sure not to house them together, I dont want any risks of female getting hurt its enough stress already for her. They live in a big cage which is separate in the middle. So they can come close or stay away from each other if they want. When I let them out, which I do 3-4 times a day for 30-40 min I watch them closely and any time I see he becomes aggressive I close them up again. Mostly hes all over me and plays with me and I see female wants to play too but Benjamin is not allowing it, its just sad ;/ I hope in time they will start to tolerate each other. It has been only 3-4 weeks.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
How are Thumper and his lady getting along, John?
Thumper and his lady are fine. Have been caged side by side. I will be home this weekend and assess again

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Jaydee Thats great! I know how you feel. I birdsat a female caique, hoping to adopt her as a friend for my male, who is 16 years old. Unfortunately, he showed no interest in her and, when I came home from work, aggressively went after her. I had to give her back. As @Irishj9 said, I think he became jealous, especially after I had been gone all day. Anyway, I would have kept her and tried to make it work, but I have three conures also, and I couldnt take another needy bird in that was bonded to me. I wanted her to bond to my male so he would have a buddy to play with when out of the cage. She was the sweetest thing, though. :( Keep at it, I bet eventually he will come along. It took my maroon belly conure 1-2 years to finally stop going after my caique when I got him. I bet your boy will come around too.