• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New family member

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Hello all! I got a bare eyed cockatoo/little corella in September, and while I had visited her for a few months while she was weaning we formed a great bond. I also made several other birdie friends with some of the the rescues/owner surrenders. One of which was a brown headed parrot named Skittles. He is 21 years old and was given up in March for being “too loud”. He took to me immediately, stepping up, allowing head scratches, and trying to regurgitate for me. He also started displaying mating behavior. So I continued visiting him at least once a week even after I took my bird Chloe home. I finally convinced my husband we should adopt Skittles, and we bought his cage and toys earlier this week. While I was out of town Friday, my husband brought Skittles home. On Saturday when I returned, there was Skittles! He seems happy and makes so much more noises than he did at the store. He was so quiet there. Does that mean he likes it here? He gets quieter during out of cage time, but makes lots of beeps and mumbles in his cage. Here is a pic. Chloe seems fine with our new addition but I have not had them out at the same time on same perches yet because I don’t want any accidents.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations on bringing home your feathered companions :starshower1:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Sometimes things are just meant to be. I wish Skittles and everyone the very best. Looks like the best is yet to come!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Skittles! :)

Usually most birds, during the period of coming to a new home, are quiet and withdrawn...so Skittles being vocal so soon after he came home is a good sign, I'd think. Do you have him in a quarantine situation? If not, my suggestion is to make sure you get Skittles a complete checkup with your AV as soon as you can...and even if you do quarantine, make sure you get that checkup...;)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Seems like skittles has no issues about fitting right in. You mentioned about previous owners relinquished Skittles because of being to noisy. He already is showing he is a chatter box that is letting you know he likes being out of his cage.

He's a real cutie, keep a watchful eye when introducing to Coco your Moluccan, could do some serious damage to Skittles. Hopefully they become feathered friends. Give it time for them to get adjusted to the new situation.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue, Skittles! :)

Usually most birds, during the period of coming to a new home, are quiet and withdrawn...so Skittles being vocal so soon after he came home is a good sign, I'd think. Do you have him in a quarantine situation? If not, my suggestion is to make sure you get Skittles a complete checkup with your AV as soon as you can...and even if you do quarantine, make sure you get that checkup...;)
Yes I plan to take both in soon.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Hammons sorry I got you mixed-up with another poster. Your Too is a Bare-eyed ,( Not a Big Moluccan Too :facepalm:) very close in size with Skittles. Hope they come to enjoy each others company.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww so happy skittles found a great home! He certainly looks happy! I would also think vocalizing right away is a great sign. My Fred was with us a good few weeks before he said boo! He's not as quiet now as when we first brought him home or when he was at the store. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Skittles.