• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Family Member (Vanilla Ice)

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
So after my Amazon(Yellow crownedxBlue fronted) was robbed from me by my sister, me and my wife decided to bring in a new family member. This new family member requires way more attention and care though, but we're up for it!. Let's skip the talk and go to the pics.

IMG_9553.JPG IMG_9575.JPG IMG_9554.JPG IMG_9577.JPG IMG_9576.JPG IMG_9574.JPG IMG_9578.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9583.JPG IMG_9582.JPG

He's almost 5 months old. I still hand feed him, but I want to bring down the hand feedings from 3 times to 2 times a day and I already started to give him some vegetables and fruits, I got him the zupreem pellets as well so he can strengthen his break chewing them.
I know that cockatoos take longer than other parrots when it comes to weaning. But I'm not in any hurry at all, I want him to take his time, but I want to do it the right way the same time and keep him as healthy and strong as possible.
So any suggestions with food with be highly appreciated.
Although I've done lot of research on cockatoos and I'm still constantly reading and watching videos, but still any general tips regarding cockatoos would be much appreciated.

More pics soon :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Buckle up and hold on. You're in for the bumpiest ride of your life. You've got a few years to hone your skills and earn your stripes before the real game begins. Don't spoil/cuddle your bird. It will come back to haunt you.

Walmart usually has the best deals on band aids.

Abundance weaning and fledging

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations, what a gorgeous little guy!:heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie pie. He definitely shows some attitude already.

And welcome to the avenue.

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Buckle up and hold on. You're in for the bumpiest ride of your life. You've got a few years to hone your skills and earn your stripes before the real game begins. Don't spoil/cuddle your bird. It will come back to haunt you.

Walmart usually has the best deals on band aids.

Abundance weaning and fledging
I took a first aid course recently! I think it'll be very handy at home hhhhhhhhh... I'll try to not spoil/cuddle him as much as I can, although it's very hard to resist but I'll try hard..
Thanks for the weaning link I'll check it out now.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Gorgeous 'Too! Love the name!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My advice, don't cut him back on hand-feeding until he starts refusing or acting uninterested in one of them. The bird decides when he's ready for fewer feedings, not you. Otherwise, you can offer him an abundance of adult parrot food. Scatter a few bowls around his cage and give him a variety of foods in each bowl. Cooked sweet potatoes with cooked soft beans and grains tends to be well liked. Make sure it cools to a safe warm temperature. Sprinkle some pellets or other veggies around it so he has things to sort through. Watch his weight with a gram scale. He'll probably loose weight for the next little while but monitor it after stopping a hand-feeding so you know if he's eating enough on his own to make up for the lack of formula.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Handsome guy.

Like John said, buckle up and hold on...you're in for a long, hard ride...

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
Such a handsome boy!!! Congrats on your new family member! And I agree with the 'Too owners here. Buckle up! These are big birds with even bigger personalities!

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
My advice, don't cut him back on hand-feeding until he starts refusing or acting uninterested in one of them. The bird decides when he's ready for fewer feedings, not you. Otherwise, you can offer him an abundance of adult parrot food. Scatter a few bowls around his cage and give him a variety of foods in each bowl. Cooked sweet potatoes with cooked soft beans and grains tends to be well liked. Make sure it cools to a safe warm temperature. Sprinkle some pellets or other veggies around it so he has things to sort through. Watch his weight with a gram scale. He'll probably loose weight for the next little while but monitor it after stopping a hand-feeding so you know if he's eating enough on his own to make up for the lack of formula.
Yeah I read the article John posted, and I read around about abundant weaning, and it seems like I'll keep handfeeding him for a little longer and at the same offer some other varieties of food for him till he gets used to other food and as you said I'll let him decide for himself.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Your baby is so cute, and cockatoos are a weakness of mine... I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see more photos and hear of his progress!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Congrats!.....your baby is beautiful!:heart:...Please let us know the progress you two are making. And yes, please buckle up securely....it's gonna be a bumpy ride indeed....;)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Harrisons makes in my opinion, the best pellet. I feed the high potency to my boy.

Luvss2ride

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynn
He's beautiful!
I'm ashamed to say I didn't survive the Too ride.... and I miss Symore so much :'(
Best wishes with your new adventure.... ice ice babeeeeeee