• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New egg layers

Liz_karadu

Checking out the neighborhood
I follow many of the posts here, but quite often the advice is designed for countries where products for birds are available (I live in Turkey but I’m from the UK). My cockatiels have 4 eggs, the first is due to hatch very soon. I give my birds a good variety of sprouted Seeds and fresh veg, scrambled egg and a little hard cheese. I mix a small baby biscuit in with the scrambled egg for extra vitamins etc.. Am I doing enough and will this diet be ok for the parents to feed the hatchlings well? Thank you in advance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I would not feed them cheese.

Sprouted seeds, fresh veggies and a little amount of egg is ok (as long as you cook the egg in a SS pan, NOT teflon and no oil).
Most who breed birds would feed pellets just be sure they´re getting the vitamins and nutrients that they need.

will this diet be ok for the parents to feed the hatchlings well?
The problems would be more of, if the parents were to feed the chicks at all. Some just won´t or they aren´t very good at it. Especially first time parents.

Be sure you have all the equipment needed should you have to step in (as you won´t have time to buy these if you need them),
-brooder (if you can´t find one, you can use a ¨critter carrier¨, here we have little plastic boxes for turtles that are the same thing)
-heat pad (some chesmists might have them, or pet shop, or online)
-thermometers (can get from the chemist)
-hygrometer (you might have to purchase this online)
-syringes 1CC (from the chemist) or pipettes (from supermarket, chemist, odds n ends shop)
-Breeder spoon (you can either buy a metal one online or a pack of plastic spoons and DIY one)
-bedding - you should have this anyway for your nest box (aspen shavings, if you can´t find that, you can use course pine but never fine pine and never cedar)
-weighing scales that can weigh to the gram (you might already have this in your kitchen, if not I´m sure you could find somewhere)
-baby formula - I use Nutribird A21, it seems to be easier to find this one over here in the EU and also in India and Pakistan. It has a green lid.

Advising your vet once the eggs hatch is a good idea too, just in case you have to visit with an emergency.

Link for formula (Buying in Turkey);

Link to buy pellets (Buying in Turkey);
I used the filter to show only the mroe reputable foods; Kaytee, Hagen Tropican, Psittacus, Zupreem and Versele Laga but ignore all the Versele Laga seeds ands seedmixes, just focus on Nutribird pellets (they come in boxes) from that brand;

Some additional reading RE feeding the chicks,

A great resource for cockatiels incl. breeding/raising;
Cockatiel cottage

Another great site for articles RE cockatiel chicks;

I’m from the UK
If you struggle to find some things, ask a family member back in the UK to buy them and post them to you. I have done this before with all sorts of things.

Last edited:

Liz_karadu

Checking out the neighborhood
Brilliant! Thank you so much! So far they have been really good with looking after the eggs, super protective which is a good sign so far. Again, thank you for the advice