• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Eclectus Owner!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Just laid the deposit down for this sweet baby! He's 3 months old, I've been researching for weeks but any advice you have would be much appreciated! Super excited for my second bird, trying to think of a name for him too. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just remember that lovebirds don't know they are little and can get themselves hurt around birds that much larger than them. I would keep them separate :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
He's cute, but I'm confused.
How did you get from trying to decide between a cockatiel and quaker yesterday to putting a deposit on an eclectus today?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
@Feather My dad had an Eclectus when he was younger and I've been looking at them and I considered them A LOT before I got Isla, but we thought we maybe wanted a smaller bird. We went to our friend's who is a breeder a week ago to look at her tiels but instead we fell in love with the little guy after continually visiting and him gravitating towards us.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Beautiful baby.

Malibu9

Moving in
Did you go through PayPal? with a breeder? Im interested in other peoples experiences to make sure I buy my bird safely come time.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I can only speak for my babies, but this is my advice!

Stock up on fresh fruits! Do not serve canned fruits. Also serve plenty of steamed orange colored veggies. I also make them scrambled eggs, or boiled chicken or broiled white fish once a week. They like to peck at food so I make birdie muffins for them and they each get one every day. Don't leave fruit out for them to eat for more than 4 hours. Just dump it cuz it's not worth taking a chance that the fruit has turned. I actually have plexiglass glass behind Sergei and Lucy's cages because they can trash a wall with food splatter in no time. Very exuberant eaters!

Ekkies like to dip food in water, not everything, but be sure to check their water several times a day and change it if there are "floaters".

Don't give them too many nuts as they put on weight fast and don't need the extra oils.

They have much runnier poop than other birdies because of their mostly fruit diet so prepare accordingly!

Keep an eye on the length of their upper beak. In the wild they keep it worn down using it to make holes in trees for nests. I have my avian vet file them down as needed. Their claws grow very fast! I take them every 3 months for a nail trim while my Amazon and RB2 only need it every 5 or 6 months.

Ekkies are THE BEST talkers! Sound totally clear and totally human! I know, the CAGs have the voice rep, but I would pick an ekkie's voice every time! Start teaching him to talk on day one, he won't disappoint you! I even have training CDs I play for them. Teach her to call you, not screech when she wants you. Mine say Momma, Come Here! And I make sure to go to them. Properly trained ekkies don't scream or screech, they will ask for what they want. Sergei loves walking/sitting in his water dish. But as soon as he climbs out he yells Fresh Water! Lucy loves berries of any kind and will yell Berry, Berry, Berry when her bowl's empty. They both will say Shut Up when my little dog barks. They are very smart!I

I have harness trained Sergei and he goes all over place with me. He whistles at the ladies, talks to everyone we meet, and let's everyone pet him. He has NEVER bit me or anyone else. Sergei is the most gentle, cuddly Bird I have ever met!

Lucy I rescued from a bad situation. I work every day with her to gain her trust. She has come so far from the frightened cowering little girl I adopted. She'd plucked out nearly all her feathers and was so skinny. I am so proud of her. She picks up sentences so fast! If I drop something she says Uh Oh, What a Mess! Ekkies are smart enough to know when a comment is appropriate!I

Well, that's my 2 cents worth!

BTW: Sergei is now 28 and Lucy is 11 years young. I love my Ekkies!

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Post some pics when you get your new baby ekkie!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@EkkieLu Do you feed greens also? I do not have an Ekkie, but hope to have one someday. I thought they needed dark green veg too. What are your thoughts? How old was Sergei when you got him? 28 is a nice number to see :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I give them kale minced up in their birdie muffins otherwise they won't eat it! They love zucchini, eat all kinds of squash, red beets, green onion stalks, all color bell peppers, jalapenos and mini red fire peppers, green beans, broccoli and the leaves, strawberry tops, even corn on the cob. I adopted Sergei several years ago. He was fed a pellet only diet and had lost all green coloring except for his head!
20180702_191758.jpg
I immediately started him on an all organic fresh foods only diet. He was underweight and my avian vet recommended extra protein a couple times a week (which I still serve). It has taken a long time to get him looking like this and his weight and blood tests where they should be.
20180727_180737.jpg

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
BTW, Sergei still doesn't know how to preen his own feathers! He's extremely bonded to me and let's me crumple his new feather shafts for him!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I was under the impression that green onion/scallion, leek, garlic etc were all on the no no list.

It sounds like you do feed green veg, so no worries. Green Beans and Broccoli ! Yum ! From the first post I thought you were promoting only foods rich in Vitamin A so I was hoping I was on the correct track. Sergei's new feathers are looking nice. Poor little dude for having such a rough start.

Feeding Parrots: Never Feed Garlic, Onions or Leeks - Best Bird Food Ever

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have wild onions and chives in my garden so during summer they like to nibble on the skinny new stalks. Sergei (on leash) will help me garden and chew on the carrot tops, spinach leaves, baby beans, leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, strawberry plants, blueberry bushes, and pumpkin flowers! He probably thinks he's on a picnic! Onions and chives are not part of their regular diet, but there is nothing in my organic garden to poison them.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Does he eat the tomato leaves? I've always assumed they're poisonous, since they are for people. Aren't they in the night-shade family?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He eats the flowers and little tomatoes! My garden doesn't produce the volume it used to do so I no longer can anything but he has a ball! They are discriminate eaters and not as dumb as people think they are!