• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Eclectus Owner/ need help

Kathie G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathie Grove
I am going to be adopting a 26 year of female Eclectus. My sister recently had a stroke and can not care for her anymore. I have never owned a bird. I am traveling to Alabama from Maryland to get her. How do I help her to become comfortable in her new home? What is the best way to make a 13 hour trip with her? I stayed with my sister for 3 weeks last year and held her once but I don’t know if she will remember me. I really want to do everything I can to make her life great but I know NOTHING!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome to the avenue! :bump4: I don't know anything about Eclectus, but I'm sure someone will come along soon.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
The car ride for us was pretty interesting! About half the time you have, and I had her travel cage covered half way and rearranged it when she got scared so she could see me but not the big trucks from the side windows. She was very animated, but she likes going places a lot. You will know fairly quickly if she needs covered, and if she needs it dark or just a sheet. A little food and water in case. Expect at least one fairly long stop so she can settle and really drink and eat something. I would make sure she eats well before you head out, because it may be stressful enough she won't eat on the trip. We had two routes, and stayed on the lower traffic state roads most of the time. The semis were really our only issue.

Putting her cage fairly centrally in your home or where she can see and be part of the goings on will be great. I'm home a lot, and she's got a lot of freedom. My girl doesn't fly, so I am a taxi to multiple perches and stands. The females seem to do really well with new people and experiences, but they're all individuals. As you get to know her you'll be able to adjust things to keep her happy.

Kathie G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathie Grove
Thanks! I am excited and nervous